Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:57:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Anything good in your fridge at the mo?

Started by Barry Admin, June 22, 2020, 03:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: DolphinFace on June 22, 2020, 07:40:39 PM
I've never heard of anyone just drinking buttermilk Neil?? I've seen it used in scones, marinades and fried chicken.

Americans are quite big on drinking buttermilk. 

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 22, 2020, 07:08:50 PM
Anyone else like buttermilk? Absolute dairy madman me, dairy morning noon and night.

I used some to marinade chicken in recently, but I wouldn't drink it. Actually it wasn't full buttermilk, it was Elmlea, which is 95% buttermilk.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: I will PT you all until you fucking DIE! I'll PT you until your assholes are sucking buttermilk.

Strawberries! Lovely fat ones. We went strawberry picking today.
Gonna get some whipping cream and some meringues and make a big bowl of Eaton mess tomorrow and just shove my whole head in there.

Blue Jam

A fuckload of Icelandic health slurry Skyr.

Just did a shop and I reckon most of its gone in the fridge - milk, eggs, ketchup, mustard, bread, tortillas, sandwich fillers, some eggy pies, think the only things not currently being refridgerated are the crisps.

Icehaven

Wine. Although it's a crappy chardonnay that isn't really "good" until it's got a drop of Vimto in it, then it's passable.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 22, 2020, 09:10:58 PM
A fuckload of Icelandic health slurry Skyr.

They would sell more if they had called it that.

Jittlebags

Big jar of pickled willy picallily. (Thanks to Count Arthur for the joke)

touchingcloth

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on June 22, 2020, 07:46:13 PM
ive never heard of buttermilk before, - what is it?

It's somewhere between milky butter and buttery milk.

But more seriously it's an acidic dairy thing which I've only ever used for making soda bread (the acid reacts with bicarbonate of soda to make the dough rise, so you can swap out some lemon juice with regular milk), so either Barry is making soda bread or is mental and is actually looking forward to drinking rank, sour milk.

The Crumb

Big bowl of Feijoada for the week
Bag of onions
Single serving bottle of umeshu decorated with the Kumamon mascot character
Shaoxing cooking wine
Cheddar
Onions
Big jar of gherkins - nearly empty :'(
Tin of Pineapple and tin of peaches
Assorted other shite of 'sentimental' value

dr_christian_troy

Gentlemen's Relish.[nb]The lovely anchovy paste, not cum[/nb]

Dex Sawash

The last of Saturday's peach cobbler made from the good peaches that won't travel so you have to get them from an orchard. Or it was in there until OP made.me.remember and I've now eaten it all with some ice cream.

I made buttermilk ice cream a few years ago. Was really good but nobody else would eat it. Can't stand buttermilk, BTW.

Barry Admin

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 22, 2020, 11:46:08 PM
But more seriously it's an acidic dairy thing which I've only ever used for making soda bread (the acid reacts with bicarbonate of soda to make the dough rise, so you can swap out some lemon juice with regular milk), so either Barry is making soda bread or is mental and is actually looking forward to drinking rank, sour milk.

It's lovely. We used to have it with our Sunday dinner as kids, then many years later I remembered about it. Nice thick, fermented milk with a slightly tart taste to it, mmmmm it's great. I'm gonna buy loads more tomorrow I think.

That sounds like something I'd best not get into.
Feels like you're stalking a cardiac ward with a tray of clotted cream jam scones going "no harm in trying it, the first ones free!"
Is it not as bad for you as the name "buttermilk" would lead me to believe?
Is that what you drink now instead of water? Is it just like a once in a while treat?
Where do you get it?

Barry Admin

Semi-skimmed is what I drink instead of water, I do 2 or 3 liters a day I guess.

Buttermilk is very good for your gut flora, like those bio yogurts and that. I need to get off the fizzy drinks again, so I pick up a pint of buttermilk from the Mace or Lidls instead of coke. I guess it's like a slightly sour milkshake, given it's thicker than normal milk? And I do love sour sweets that make you pull OOH YA BASSSTID faces, so I guess that's my flavour profile, as vape shop wankers would say.

Sounds good to me. I'm grabbing one next time I'm out if I can find any.

bgmnts

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 23, 2020, 01:14:41 AM
Semi-skimmed is what I drink instead of water, I do 2 or 3 liters a day I guess.

Holy shit, i'd get insane "the shits" after that.

In Nepal, I tried their rice and potato curd dish one night, fuck me I was squatting over the shithole literally about 20 minutes after.

My fridge contains Soy Boy, genuinely amazing soy milk for an incredible 69p in Heron Foods.

Barry Admin

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on June 23, 2020, 01:19:00 AM
Sounds good to me. I'm grabbing one next time I'm out if I can find any.

I'll.be curious to know what you make of it. Give it s good shake first.

earl_sleek

Quote from: bgmnts on June 23, 2020, 01:20:01 AM
My fridge contains Soy Boy, genuinely amazing soy milk for an incredible 69p in Heron Foods.

Stay away from their range of eggs, named 'Beta Cock'.

Blue Jam

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on June 23, 2020, 01:02:08 AM
That sounds like something I'd best not get into.
Feels like you're stalking a cardiac ward with a tray of clotted cream jam scones going "no harm in trying it, the first ones free!"
Is it not as bad for you as the name "buttermilk" would lead me to believe?

Buttermilk is traditionally made as a by-product of butter production. If you churn fermented cream you end up with butter and buttermilk, so no, buttermilk is actually very low in fat. Most buttermilk is now made by culturing milk, but it's still not as nice rich as the name makes it sound.

You can get it in the dairy section of big supermarkets, with the cream and the Elmlea. You can use it to make soda bread. You can also drink it, but only if you're a complete MADMAN because it tastes FUCKING RANK.

;)

Foolproof soda bread recipe:

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/bread-recipes/traditional-irish-soda-bread

Haha, I'm going full Barry and necking that shit straight. Might be a good while before I can get my hands on some, but I'll report back.

bgmnts

Quote from: earl_sleek on June 23, 2020, 01:24:08 AM
Stay away from their range of eggs, named 'Beta Cock'.

They literally cannot do vegan eggs for some reason. They've managed to make amazing meat substitutes, both veggie and vegan, great milk substitutes and EVEN a decent vegan cheese but they just cannot replicate an egg.

I would definitely buy Beta Cock though!

touchingcloth

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 23, 2020, 12:49:07 AM
It's lovely. We used to have it with our Sunday dinner as kids, then many years later I remembered about it. Nice thick, fermented milk with a slightly tart taste to it, mmmmm it's great. I'm gonna buy loads more tomorrow I think.

You're insane, Barry, an actual lunatic. I said it tastes rank, and:

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 23, 2020, 01:32:23 AM
You can also drink it, but only if you're a complete MADMAN because it tastes FUCKING RANK.

When you said you drink 2-3 litres of semi-skimmed a day, did you mean pints? I drink 3l tops of it's 38+ degrees out and I'm doing physical work, so if true then, once again, you're a milk mad loon. 

Blue Jam

Just try a teaspoonful. That way when you've realised how rank it is you'll still have enough to make some soda bread or some pancakes.

OK, we can team up and do a double clothesline if I vom it up the wall.
Is a teaspoon fair, Barry? Is it a sipping drink or do I need to experience "the gulp"?

touchingcloth

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on June 23, 2020, 01:41:51 AM
OK, we can team up and do a double clothesline if I vom it up the wall.
Is a teaspoon fair, Barry? Is it a sipping drink or do I need to experience "the gulp"?

Barry glugs a whole litre down from a demijohn before his top lip gets coated with a thin white film of tangy funk which he wipes off with his cuff before smiling and saying "got nasty buttermilk?". To no one.

Barry Admin

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on June 23, 2020, 01:35:23 AM
Haha, I'm going full Barry and necking that shit straight. Might be a good while before I can get my hands on some, but I'll report back.

Mate, get it into ye. Don't listen to these melters, they don't even know the difference between soda bread and wheaten bread.

Pffft, teaspoon, it's not even that strong, take a good cold drink of it and see what you've been missing.

I had a feeling that'd be the case.
A pack of monkey's staring dumbfounded at the organ grinder as the tune changes.
You keep sipping your banana flavoured yazoo, lads.
I'm a buttermilk man, I'm convinced of it.