Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:47:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Anything good in your fridge at the mo?

Started by Barry Admin, June 22, 2020, 03:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 23, 2020, 01:45:15 AM
Mate, get it into ye. Don't listen to these melters, they don't even know the difference between soda bread and wheaten bread.

I know the difference, I just don't care about it - one shite Irish bread is much the same as the next. Is this what you were arguing about when the spuds ran out? Pathetic.

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on June 23, 2020, 01:55:47 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PuRtwQjcmI

That's where I was fearing the buttermilk diet would lead me.
I've just got to hold on to the belief that he transcended the very instant they stopped filming.

Gurke and Hare

I've got some leftover spaghetti and meatballs in the fridge. Might reheat them for lunch, but I haven't got any parmesan for them.

Blue Jam

Buelligan

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on June 23, 2020, 10:46:29 AM
I've got some leftover spaghetti and meatballs in the fridge. Might reheat them for lunch, but I haven't got any parmesan for them.

Never fear, a reasonable pecorino will do.

Dex Sawash

Buelligan

...behind the ears and in those difficult-to-reach musky areas.

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on June 23, 2020, 01:52:31 AM
I had a feeling that'd be the case.
A pack of monkey's staring dumbfounded at the organ grinder as the tune changes.
You keep sipping your banana flavoured yazoo, lads.
I'm a buttermilk man, I'm convinced of it.

Loved this post. 10/10

Sebastian Cobb

I've got some homemade garlic sauce, which thanks to its egg white and oil content looks worryingly like I've been refrigerating a pot of cum.

earl_sleek

How do you stop it drying out, if you don't refrigerate it?

tao of wub

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 23, 2020, 01:51:03 PM
I've got some homemade garlic sauce, which thanks to its egg white and oil content looks worryingly like I've been refrigerating a pot of cum.

You probably won't be keeping that for too long due to the eggs, but if you are using uncooked garlic it has a low but real chance of giving you botulism if it isn't in acidic enough conditions. 

Back in the 80's there were  few cases from hazelnut yogurts as I remember.  Don't think I ever had a hazelnut yogurt though..

The same is broadly true of all non-acidic veg and meat.  It is pretty rare but it does happen to some unfortunates..

Commercial preparations either control the acidity, add preservatives or can under pressure and high temperature..

Here is a bit about it, there are many other articles on web though..

https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/uc_davis/uc_davis_garlic.pdf

If you can't resist holding on to your cummy garlic sauce though, chance is you will be OK.

Sebastian Cobb

It also includes lemon juice. So that will sort that.

I'm pushing my luck with the age of it, given it has egg in it, as it is, but it's nearly gone and I tasted it first.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Is cum acidic? Why not fire a batch of that into the mix, just to be sure.

Puce Moment

Been informed that I have pre-Gout symptoms. I have to change my diet which has become quite shit, although I don't do meat and rarely do dairy.

No more dipping a slice of bread into a pot of humous and almost emptying it and no more co-op chocolate trifle. Also, no more co-op cheese puffs.

Barry Admin

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on June 23, 2020, 03:32:52 AM
That's where I was fearing the buttermilk diet would lead me.
I've just got to hold on to the belief that he transcended the very instant they stopped filming.

I bought loads of buttermilk from Lidls today and it's not as nice as the stuff I usually buy. You might have to find your brand sir.

Buelligan

Quote from: Puce Moment on June 23, 2020, 04:31:41 PM
Been informed that I have pre-Gout symptoms. I have to change my diet which has become quite shit, although I don't do meat and rarely do dairy.

No more dipping a slice of bread into a pot of humous and almost emptying it and no more co-op chocolate trifle. Also, no more co-op cheese puffs.

Loads of cherries though and they're right in season now.

https://www.nhs.uk/news/food-and-diet/cherry-juice-touted-as-treatment-for-gout/

(I have a gouty friend, who swears by them, I understand from him that normal gout medicine gives one rather extremely unpleasant side-effects, so cherries, get them down you.)

Blue Jam

Mark Williams got Gout on a diet of kebabs and Haribo. Just watch yer purines.

I don't know about cherries but I've got a load of frozen dark cherries at home, might put them in the blender with a chocolate protein shake and make a Black Forest smoothie. Period's due and I've got that familiar I-could-eat-a-house feeling and think I should fill up on fruit.

Marner and Me

I cook for necessity more than enjoyment, so my evening meal will consist of steak wraps- So that is onion, pepper, spinach, steak. If I'm feeling adventurous I'll do some rice and boil some peas and broccoli. 

Puce Moment

Thanks! I am going to eat a shed-load of cherries tonight.

I don't want to have Henry VIII style maladies.

Ferris

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 22, 2020, 11:46:08 PM
It's somewhere between milky butter and buttery milk.

But more seriously it's an acidic dairy thing which I've only ever used for making soda bread (the acid reacts with bicarbonate of soda to make the dough rise, so you can swap out some lemon juice with regular milk), so either Barry is making soda bread or is mental and is actually looking forward to drinking rank, sour milk.

wow, sounds chemically, - the first description sounds a lot better, - that i could chug!

PlanktonSideburns

got some new potatoes in there from last night, rolled in butter and parsley

oh man

Puce Moment

Buttermilk brings to mind John Fante and his character Bandini stealing some milk from the milkman and then being really annoyed that it was buttermilk. It was in his best novel Ask the Dust I think.

Nobody?

seepage

my minifridges have '15 litre' in their name. But you can only get 3 bottles of wine in them. Supposing you could stuff another two bottles upside down in there still only makes 5 x .75 = 3.75 litres, so how do they get to 15 litres?

found some unheralded 'chargrilled chicken pieces' in the back of fridge #2 - might stare at them for a bit before chucking them in the HazChem bin.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: seepage on June 23, 2020, 09:10:31 PM
my minifridges have '15 litre' in their name. But you can only get 3 bottles of wine in them. Supposing you could stuff another two bottles upside down in there still only makes 5 x .75 = 3.75 litres, so how do they get to 15 litres?

what if you upended the fridge and poured it straight in

seepage

I'll try that in the morning when I might be a bit more willing to mop up the mess

seepage

on the opposite topic: 'Anything not good not in your fridge at the mo?' - some celery put in the microwave to keep out the mice has turned into a brown jelly-like substance. Am I well on my way to a Nobel prize?

Noodle Lizard

I've been making sandwiches like a madman this past couple of weeks. Everyone knows how to make a sandwich, but I'm trying to reach gourmet level. It's the cheapest way to replicate proper good restaurant fare, the sandwich.

I've done Crostini Al Tonnos (which is a ciabatta and tuna salad recipe my mum taught me, based on some Italian restaurant she liked in Tunbridge Wells once), nailed the perfect cheese and cucumber sandwich (salt the butter, pre-sliced cheddar, "julienne" the cucumbers), and I'm getting pretty good at replicating the Monte Cristo sandwiches from Disneyland. I like sandwiches that don't fall the fuck apart as soon as you bite into them, which is common with American sandwiches.

That's what my fridge has been full of. Sandwich ingredients. Tonight I'm trying to make a good, honest-to-Dickens French Dip, with a roast and au jus I'll cook myself in the Instant Pot. The Instant Pot, by the way, is something that everyone should own. It should come with every home. Get some chicken breasts or thighs, throw them in there with a jar of salsa, you've got restaurant quality Mexican shredded chicken in less than 20 minutes. It's unbelievable.

tao of wub

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on June 23, 2020, 04:06:17 PM
Is cum acidic? Why not fire a batch of that into the mix, just to be sure.

Quite the opposite, its alkaline with a pH of 7.2 to 8.

Got to get a pH below 4.5 to prevent the botulism, so cum isn't going to cut it no matter how much you blast in there.