Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:05:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Anything good in your fridge at the mo?

Started by Barry Admin, June 22, 2020, 03:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markburgle

I had a cup of really top quality grease, it came from a pan that I roasted a gammon joint in. It had different strata and everything. Unfortunately it's a cup of mould now. I was gonna use it for potatoes

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 23, 2020, 09:58:55 PM
the Instant Pot. The Instant Pot, by the way, is something that everyone should own. It should come with every home. Get some chicken breasts or thighs, throw them in there with a jar of salsa, you've got restaurant quality Mexican shredded chicken in less than 20 minutes. It's unbelievable.

Try chicken tinga in the instant pot, think it's just chicken, onions and a can small of chipotle peppers in adobo. You do need to reduce the liquid after the chicken is done.

touchingcloth

Brian Freeze

We've got homebrew Kefir and Kombucha in ours. Believe. (not entirely sure I do but I give it a go anyway)

Wonder if Barry Admin would enjoy the fizzy sour dairy wrongness of some kefir seeing as he's a fan of buttermilk. Would post out some grains to DIY, if you wanted to make your own.
You lot can fuck off though x

Dex Sawash

Barry Admin

Pretty sure I had a packet of Kefir in my cupboard for ages for the benefit of a Muslim friend who would pop over. Never got round to actually making it through.

Blue Jam

Why are you off the fizzy drinks, Neil? Asking as a fellow Diet Coke addict.

Jittlebags

They were doing emperor penguins lemons in Tesco the other day, so bought 20 of them, squeezed out the juice, added tons of sugar, then popped it in a big bottle in the fridge. Then when it a bit warm, pint glass with tons of ice, 3/4 pint of soda/tonic or carbonated water, then top off with an inch of the lemon mix. Refreshing doesn't come near.

Blue Jam

Why is it that when you buy lemons (or limes), emperor or otherwise, at Tesco, the self-service checkout reads "BULKY ITEM PURCHASED"? Is there something suspicious about this which makes it necessary for Tesco HQ to know?

Jittlebags

Maybe that's triggered by the cucumber, sink plunger and the two dozen spring topped lantern batteries that you've also bought?

Quote from: Jittlebags on July 01, 2020, 04:32:19 PM
They were doing emperor penguins lemons in Tesco the other day, so bought 20 of them, squeezed out the juice, added tons of sugar, then popped it in a big bottle in the fridge. Then when it a bit warm, pint glass with tons of ice, 3/4 pint of soda/tonic or carbonated water, then top off with an inch of the lemon mix. Refreshing doesn't come near.

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 23, 2020, 09:58:55 PM
That's what my fridge has been full of. Sandwich ingredients.

Which is better for a Perfectly Normal Beast butty - mayo or butter?

Blue Jam

Quote from: Jittlebags on July 01, 2020, 04:32:19 PM

When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Jittlebags lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Blue Jam

Got a fuckload of chestnut mushrooms here lads. What shall I make with them? And no, I don't think mushroomade would taste very nice.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

bgmnts

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 02, 2020, 04:57:55 PM
Got a fuckload of chestnut mushrooms here lads. What shall I make with them? And no, I don't think mushroomade would taste very nice.

Mushroom mince is quite nice.

Brian Freeze

Mushroom stroganoff. A good excuse to buy some sherry. Putting it in the fridge is optional.

pancreas

Just ate some venison liver I found reduced at Waitrose. Did a reasonable job of getting it black on the outside and raw in the middle, but it's extremely fucking bitter. No patch on calves' liver, or for that matter, lambs liver. Perhaps there's something I should be doing like soaking it in milk. I thought stuff like that was an old wives' tale though.

Jittlebags

Liver and milk together in a fridge. Enough said.

Gurke and Hare

Some peppers that I've roasted this evening. Have also got the remnants of a roast chicken, so chicken, pepper and pesto sandwich for lunch tomorrow.

Blue Jam

Cheers lads. In the end I chopped up the mushrooms all fine like, then fried them along with chopped leeks, onions and pancetta and added half-fat creme fraiche, herbs, white pepper and a bit of truffle oil. Served that with some butterflied chicken breasticles. It didn't taste as good as when I've done it with single cream rather than half-fat creme fraiche but health and all that and it was a good trade-ofd. Made a bit too much and kept half back for tomorrow's dinner, result.

Dex Sawash

Left home this morning and another load of peaches had reached peak peach. Wife has been stress-baking during the fuckdown. Might be another peach baked good when I get home or I'll just have to gobble off up a dozen near-manky peaches.

Blue Jam

Got some of that posh White Sugarloaf Pineapple from Tesco. Very nice despite the unappetising anaemic appearance. Nicer texture than bog-standard pineapple too. Bit too nice to put in a smoothie. 9/10 would purchase again.

Had a punnet of Supersweet Raspberries yesterday. Put them in the blender with three clementines and a bit of water and made myself a smoothie. Posh raspberries were still pretty tart, needed the orange juice to counter that. 6/10 not really worth the extra cost.

Blending whole peeled oranges/clementines/whatever is very satisfying to watch, incidentally. The Jaffa easy peelers from Tesco are always good.

Here endeth the review of Tesco fruit.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Jittlebags on July 02, 2020, 08:49:50 PM
Liver and milk together in a fridge. Enough said.

Definitely not Jewish?

I like the texture of liver but not the taste. Had rabbit's liver a couple of years ago and that was tender and flavoursome but the flavour is just too strong for me, sorry.

pancreas

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 03, 2020, 01:20:01 PM
Definitely not Jewish?

I like the texture of liver but not the taste. Had rabbit's liver a couple of years ago and that was tender and flavoursome but the flavour is just too strong for me, sorry.

Don't expect absolution from me, milquetoast.

dissolute ocelot

Gochujang (Korean chilli paste), sriracha mayonnaise, several other similar but more indeterminate jars, and a selection of terrible alcohol I won at pub quizzes about 2 years ago. Out of date John Smith's anybody? Magner's of summers long past?

Mr Farenheit

A plug.
The plug for the fridge. Its inside the fridge. Cable isnt long enough to reach outside the door, can't turn it on.
Well done Zanussi, give yourselves a big round of applause.

Blue Jam

Just got a nice big pork leg joint and I am pot-roasting it with white wine, lemon juice, ancho chillies, bay leaves and a liberal coating of smoked paprika. Roasting it low and slow for two hours, then I'll take the lid off and whack the temperature up to get some nice paprika crackling.

Will be serving it with some sweet potato and butternut squash, cubed, par-boiled and sautéed with wilted spinach and then topped with some crumbled feta.

Basically doing peri-peri pork and recreating a Nando's side dish for a bit of vaguely healthy desolation. Got some proper Nando's Peri-Peri salt and will be making some Peri-Peri gravy like what Nando's were doing at Christmas. They should serve that all year.

Sebastian Cobb

I accidentally got a bit twatted last night and haven't been out of bed all that long so am about to have a fry up, sadly used all the black pudding up so it's just going to be sausage, bacon, eggs, haggis and beans.

Puce Moment

There was a load of fresh pasta on sale in Co-op so this week I ah be mostly eating delicious and stunningly simple dishes with proper pasta. It's not homemade pasta but it kicks the living shit out of the dried stuff I have been eating for close to half a century.

I have some tagliatelle and penne left. You can just cook this stuff up, drain it, crush up some salt and pepper, chuck on some olive oil, lob in some olives and tiny posh tomatoes, plus some fresh basil and and CUSHTY PUCKA, just like that you are on the Amalfi coast getting fingered by a waiter that you just fell in love with.