Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:23:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Getting the most complete Monty Python

Started by Famous Mortimer, June 22, 2020, 05:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

So, I just read this:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/shop/news/5524/monty_python_special_features/

When my credit card is paid off in a few months, I was going to buy a nice Monty Python box, with the most amount of stuff possible on it. So, is the above thing different from the box set that was released recent-ish-ly? Honestly, my eyes start blurring when I try and compare the minutiae of this stuff. I just want the most complete thing. Does anyone have more of a tolerance for scanning the small print than I do, or have you already bought and compared?

Shit Good Nose

I think it is the most complete of everything easily available in this country, but last I read (prior to it being released, mind) the jury was still out on whether audio edits (due to music rights and the like) and random visual edits and sketch removals peppered throughout all four series would be carried over from previous British releases.  IF they have been, then the old Sony individual series DVD releases are the most complete.  There was a box set released in America that pre-dated the A&E Network box (which has even more cuts than the UK releases) which was completely uncut, BUT it was super limited to something like 500 and it didn't have any extras on it (although Fliegender Zirkus MAY have been on there).

Also get them now before they're cancelled, etc

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 22, 2020, 05:36:21 PMWhen my credit card is paid off in a few months, I was going to buy a nice Monty Python box, with the most amount of stuff possible on it. So, is the above thing different from the box set that was released recent-ish-ly? Honestly, my eyes start blurring when I try and compare the minutiae of this stuff. I just want the most complete thing.

Now I've got some spare cash, I too would like to know this, especially given what happened to me last time with something like this:

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 06, 2020, 05:55:30 PM...a couple of years ago I had an unexpected £100 or so spare, for the first time in years, and splurged most of it on that limited-edition Goodies box-set, especially because of all the books and other stuff that came with it.

Literally months later, not only did they reissue all the DVDs (fair enough), but also separately all the books etc., and if you added them all up they came to less than the frigging box-set had!

As far as I can tell, the only thing I got extra for boosting Network's coffers for three months was a small brown cloth bag with the Goodies' logo on it.

magval

There were features on older DVDs that aren't on this set, I think there's already another thread about it. I'm working my way through it at the minute, absolutely gorgeous presentation and the books for each series are terrific .

I am the opposite of you, I have an aptitude for comparing these sorts of things, and will do so this evening for a welcome change from the horrors of The Last Of Us 2.

the

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 22, 2020, 05:36:21 PMSo, I just read this:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/shop/news/5524/monty_python_special_features/

When my credit card is paid off in a few months, I was going to buy a nice Monty Python box, with the most amount of stuff possible on it. So, is the above thing different from the box set that was released recent-ish-ly?

That news story is from October 2019, from the run-up to the release of the remastered ('Norwegian') Blu-Ray set. It's the same product.

The discussion of it so far has taken place in this thread.

I've got it and it is by a long way the more complete and extensive version of Flying Circus ever released. With the added bonus that it's been remastered and restored both visually and aurally.

When I got it, the boxset of all 4 series was £100 and the individual series sets were ~£25 each. The only 'extra' you get with the box set is the box itself and a little 4-page insert. So if you can find the individual series sets for less in total than the box set, go for it, as you won't miss out on anything except some packaging.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: the on June 22, 2020, 07:43:40 PM
That news story is from October 2019, from the run-up to the release of the remastered ('Norwegian') Blu-Ray set. It's the same product.
That's what confused me, because when I opened the link, it said it was from May of this year. Seems a weird thing to be announcing in a brand new comedy newsletter, but so be it.

And cheers magval (provided the hasn't just given us the answer).

the

Quote from: magval on June 22, 2020, 07:43:00 PMThere were features on older DVDs that aren't on this set,

This is true - however the extras on the new set are mostly deleted/extended scenes and raw footage (ie. newly-released original material), whereas the extras on the Sony DVD set were mostly packaged-up documentaries and interviews (ie. retrospective derivative material). Up to you but I know which I'm more interested by.

the

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 22, 2020, 07:51:05 PMThat's what confused me, because when I opened the link, it said it was from May of this year.

Ah, if that page is correct then they've been releasing the individual series sets in stages, the final one being the series 4 set - that's what came out in May. (I had wrongly assumed that they'd released them all in one go, before Xmas.)

And for the avoidance of any confusion, it appears that they've also released DVD versions of the remasters that were released on Blu-ray. But being on DVD, those will only be in Standard Definition (unlike the Blu-ray ones which are in HD).

daf

I got the separate digipaks - which, unlike the box set versions, has a nifty Gilliam designed/inspired J-card - listing all the extras on the set.

(Just checked Amazon - I think the series 1 digipak is sold out - get the rest though, you will not regret it - the books alone are worth a tenner!)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

On a side-note, obviously the film inserts are gorgeous looking, but I was even more impressed by the picture quality of the studio sequences on video - which are astonishingly sharp and clear - I've never seen any video looking that good before - totally incredible!

Famous Mortimer

daf

Series 1 digipak (£30-£40 from secondary sellers) / Series 1 Standard edition (plastic case / no book) - £23.99
Series 2 digipak - £20.99
Series 3 digipak - £27.99
Series 4 digipak - £27.99

Pinball

The Network BluRay 'Norwegian' boxset is the best available, and I have it.

the

Quote from: daf on June 22, 2020, 09:10:52 PMSeries 1 digipak (£30-£40 from secondary sellers) / Series 1 Standard edition (plastic case / no book) - £23.99

At those prices, FM would be better off just getting the boxset direct from Network for £100, free delivery:

https://networkonair.com/all-products/3077-monty-python-s-flying-circus-norwegian-blu-ray-edition

(Nb. if you're navigating the separate series sets - the 'Deluxe' Blu-ray editions are the ones containing a book of viewing notes, which are incredibly exhaustive, well researched and absolutely worth getting if you're as interested in completeness as you appear to be.)

Gurke and Hare

And I don't know where you'd get it these days, but there's an A&E two disc DVD set that has Fliegender Zirkus and some other stuff on it.

the science eel

Quote from: daf on June 22, 2020, 09:10:52 PM
Series 1 digipak (£30-£40 from secondary sellers) / Series 1 Standard edition (plastic case / no book) - £23.99

Last I looked, Network have series 3 for £23  - order direct from their site

Famous Mortimer

So, the individual boxes have the book of notes, but the big "Norwegian edition" box doesn't?

daf

No, the box also has the books. Everything's the same except for the following extra bits for each version :

box : The box
separate : J cards

I didn't go for the box as I'd seen some reports of it arriving damaged - mainly the card dividing the sets getting ripped :

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: daf on June 23, 2020, 02:50:50 PM
No, the box also has the books.

everything's the same except for the following extra bits for each version :

box : The box
separate : J cards
I feel extremely stupid today. Cheers daf and everyone else who helped.

mjwilson

Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't realised that 3 and 4 were out.

Egyptian Feast

I was so glad they issued them seperately with the books. I really wanted to get the set, but couldn't justify the cost in one go, so it was great to be able to get everything in installments for pretty much the same price.

the

Speaking of complete Monty Python, one thing the viewing notes have flagged up for me is that I've still never heard any of the Monty Python LPs. I'd like to get the Total Rubbish boxset but can't really justify dropping a ton on it at the moment.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: the on June 24, 2020, 11:19:19 PM
Speaking of complete Monty Python, one thing the viewing notes have flagged up for me is that I've still never heard any of the Monty Python LPs. I'd like to get the Total Rubbish boxset but can't really justify dropping a ton on it at the moment.

I cried laughing at the Royal Festival Hall concert sketch (on Another Monty Python Record) when I first heard it when I was about 15, and it's still one of my favourite Python sketches now. That's the first album I'd go for.

mrfridge

Just a heads up for anyone interested. Blu Ray editions of Series one and two are reduced to £12.35 each (from £19) On the Network site for a short time. That's the standard versions. The deluxe versions with the book are still £25 unfortunately.

https://networkonair.com/?controller=search&s=Monty

magval

Quote from: the on June 24, 2020, 11:19:19 PM

Got the CD version of Total Rubbish for fifty quid on eBay, but it tends to go for around 35 usually. Two albums in so far and completely satisfied. The sketches work beautifully in audio form. The Ethel the Frog/Dinsdales track on Another Monty Python is such a direct, traceable influence on On The Hour.

If you've got a turntable I'd be happy to send you the two LPs I picked up over the years for your assistance in previous threads :-)

I came in here to ask - which Python books are worth reading, as there's always at least three in Waterstones. Could I go for just The Pythons Autobiography, or is there anything else worth a punt?

I don't mean their comedy books, by the way, but the sort of retrospective ones. Not Papperbok, for instance.

the

Quote from: magval on July 30, 2020, 11:50:42 AMIf you've got a turntable I'd be happy to send you the two LPs I picked up over the years for your assistance in previous threads :-)

Heh, nah you're alright mate, I was gonna get the CD set.

Quote from: magval on July 30, 2020, 11:50:42 AMI came in here to ask - which Python books are worth reading, as there's always at least three in Waterstones. Could I go for just The Pythons Autobiography, or is there anything else worth a punt?

I've only read Autobiography, but it's very good, it works well to be taken through the unfolding story anecdotally from the differing perspectives of the team members. I noticed recently that there's an alternative edition with artwork and an expanded page layout, but I've just got the standard paperback.

magval

I remember years ago there was the large format hardback version that was the only version available, which was heavily illustrated, but the paperback appeals to me for ease of reading.

Revelator

Quote from: magval on July 30, 2020, 11:50:42 AMI came in here to ask - which Python books are worth reading, as there's always at least three in Waterstones. Could I go for just The Pythons Autobiography, or is there anything else worth a punt?

That's probably all you need. Monty Python Speaks!, by David Morgan, is the other excellent oral history, though it covers the same ground as the Autobiography. On the hand, a revised and updated edition of Speaks! was published last year. You might wish to buy that if you haven't yet bought the Autobiography.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Revelator on August 05, 2020, 12:02:01 AM
That's probably all you need. Monty Python Speaks!, by David Morgan, is the other excellent oral history, though it covers the same ground as the Autobiography. On the hand, a revised and updated edition of Speaks! was published last year. You might wish to buy that if you haven't yet bought the Autobiography.

Yeah, there's an extra few pages devoted to the each Python ( The Terry Jones ones are all blank, though).

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

^ That was my 10, 000th post. Makes you think, eh?