Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:25:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Eric Andre: Legalize Everything

Started by up_the_hampipe, June 22, 2020, 07:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

Eric Andre's first ever stand-up special drops on Netflix tomorrow. This is probably the best trailer for a special I've ever seen, although the bar is pretty low on that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlW3JLtGV9A

Looks like it'll be mixed up with a few pranks and/or sketches. I saw him in Hackney last year and it was the funniest show I'd seen live in a long time.

PlanktonSideburns

yea id quite like to see him on a rampage in a netflix situation, now that they mention it

alan nagsworth

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 22, 2020, 07:28:19 PM
I saw him in Hackney last year and it was the funniest show I'd seen live in a long time.

That's what this special is based off isn't it? Pretty sure that was the name of the tour I/we saw, plus the KFC chicken breast joke and that bizarre hanging ornament thing he brandishes in the trailer were both part of that same set.

I'm excited to see this stuff again, as I'm in the same boat as you: I could barely catch my breath during that set, it was insanely fuckin funny.

Ooh, thanks for the heads up! I'll have a sniff round for that tomorrow.
I couldn't imagine how his standup would work, but judging by that trailer, it looks like it'll be really good fun!

shiftwork2

Straight to the top of the list.  Glad to see it's not overlong though because I've only seen Eric in very short bursts previously, unlike the lucky kids up there ^

Puce Moment

Very happy about this - like many people, I didn't get the chance to see him live.

Small Man Big Horse

I really enjoyed this, it's a mixture of the profane and the profound, mostly the former but there's the odd inspired bit of commentary (the Cops bit, especially) and all in all it made me laugh a lot. Was a bit worried
Spoiler alert
for a second by the texting bit at the end, some of the pranks in the tv show can be a bit too mean for my liking, but thankfully she went along with it
[close]
and so it made for very funny viewing.

alan nagsworth

Yeah the texting thing went really well when I saw him. Didn't quite have the bonkers result you'd hope for but it stayed wholesome and there was a lot of humour in it. He kept trying to phone the lad's mum and she said she was in the bath, everyone was really pumped up about it because of Andre's raucous energy throughout. Goddamn that was a great night.

C_Larence

Really wanted to like this as I'm a big fan of him and his show, but I don't think it was very good at all. The first ten minutes is basically him just listing drugs while the overwhelmingly white (especially for New Orleans) crowd cheers and whilst there are a few good bits scattered throughout, I think overall his style of humour doesn't work when it's in front of people who want to see it. It's funny when he screams 7/11 was an inside job to some vacuous celebrity who's about to fire their agent, or a wall street trader on his lunch break, but it doesn't work in front of a crowd who are all in on the joke. From the other posts in this thread it sounds like it was a lot of fun to be there, but it didn't translate to the screen in my opinion.

This was spectacularly bad. The poster above is right the humour doesn't translate from his usual TV format to Stand-up. It was constant manically delivered frat boy stoner 'jokes'. It seemed incredibly dated.

Yeah, I have to agree. It was just that boring bloke in the pub who makes up for his lack of personality by recounting his drug based anecdotes all night. Didn't make for great standup.
I think you're right, it's hard to translate his act to a stage show, felt like he should have been trolling the audience rather than them always being in on everything. A couple of decent moments though.

Retinend

Seemed to hide behind irony to mask rather par-for-the-course gross-out humour. Joe Rogan's standup is somewhat in the same vein. I was willing him to do better, because on the Eric Andre Show it all gels, but here... not so much.

Timothy

I expected a lot from the trailer but couldn't watch it longer then half an hour. Quite bad.

I imagine the experience of watching him live doesn't really translate to a Netflix special.

wooders1978

In the same boat here - loved the shows and he's incredibly funny in podcasts and interviews, overall as a funny person I rate him very highly, but this was awful - I didn't make it past the putting coke in a 5 year olds toothpaste but - just unfunny and sadly not worth my time

Petey Pate

I thought him texting and then face timing the guy's mum was staged, or at least she had agreed to do it in advance. Has this bit ever gone horribly wrong for him?

shiftwork2

It didn't work.  Wrong format for Eric.

Marner and Me

I watched that advert in the OP and didn't find any of it amusing.

McFlymo

Quote from: Petey Pate on June 27, 2020, 11:13:37 AM
I thought him texting and then face timing the guy's mum was staged, or at least she had agreed to do it in advance. Has this bit ever gone horribly wrong for him?

She seemed very cool about the whole thing. I suspected there was some sort of, "mum, this thing might happen, is that cool?" prep involved. Although it wouldn't have surprised me if there'd be some sort Patreon / VIP ticket angle to it: Pay for me to phone your mom! LOLzz

Obel

Is the trailer a parody or is that what the show is actually like?

Retinend

Quote from: Obel on June 29, 2020, 07:48:34 AM
Is the trailer a parody or is that what the show is actually like?

It's symptomatic of the two-faced tone of the show - at once straightforward and ironic.

Armin Meiwes

Urgh yeah just came on to to say exactly what seems to have been said repeatedly now.. was semi cracking up at the intro, him dressed as a policeman staggering around the streets with a bong was pretty funny, but ditched out of the show itself about 10 mins in, really annoying and just quite embarrassing.

spaghetamine

I watched this last night and it made me laugh out loud multiple times but I had also been honking on jazz reefers so make of that what you will, Hannibal is obviously an infinitely better standup but I find Eric to be such a weirdly likeable guy that I'm always rooting for him in whatever questionable thing he's doing, "we all feel like hot spaghetti in the dark sometimes" is a beautiful turn of phrase that will stay with me for a while

I don't want to be a pedant but you can't have the "sometimes" in there. I think it's like "we're all pink on the inside",
"we all feel like hot spaghetti in the dark"
Agreed though, it's a great line!

Lord Mandrake

Is there another layer to this guy other than being an absolute fucking state? Because I had to pack this in after ten minutes and I've watched some shit specials in this lockdown but this was actively nauseating.

earl_sleek

Weel I thought it was pretty good. The mom could have been less obviously staged though.

Enzo

Had to turn this off after a few minutes. I think it was the crowd earnestly whooping and cheering at Andre's (ironic?) infuriatingly shit drug anecdotes that did it for me.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Enzo on July 02, 2020, 05:09:02 PM
Had to turn this off after a few minutes. I think it was the crowd earnestly whooping and cheering at Andre's (ironic?) infuriatingly shit drug anecdotes that did it for me.

Man, you lot are a tough crowd. This special is fun, and a lot of the cheering is a joke too, he's overdoing the silly call-and-response thing.

It doesn't translate quite as well to a recorded special, it's definitely a lot more enjoyable live. But I'm surprised by the diarrhea you're all pouring over this.

Mr Faineant

The thing about the first draft of "scrubs" was really funny. But that's about it. Still like him though.

I've not seen this yet, only the trailer, but isn't it intentional anti-comedy? Feels like some of these reviews are taking it as an attempt to tell genuine jokes. But maybe I'm the one in the wrong.