Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:05:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Eric Andre: Legalize Everything

Started by up_the_hampipe, June 22, 2020, 07:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enzo

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on July 03, 2020, 01:29:23 AM
I've not seen this yet, only the trailer, but isn't it intentional anti-comedy? Feels like some of these reviews are taking it as an attempt to tell genuine jokes. But maybe I'm the one in the wrong.

I'm aware it's anti-comedy and I think with a less earnest audience I would have enjoyed it. It was just with the reaction and the material married together it became insufferable very quickly.

I may give it another chance.

C_Larence

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on July 03, 2020, 01:29:23 AM
I've not seen this yet, only the trailer, but isn't it intentional anti-comedy? Feels like some of these reviews are taking it as an attempt to tell genuine jokes. But maybe I'm the one in the wrong.

I feel like it doesn't know what it's supposed to be, but calling it anti-comedy seems like an excuse for it not being funny. Maybe the drug stuff was meant to be ironic, but the crowd sure seems to be reacting sincerely. There's a prop bit with a souvenir from Cuba, which is amusing but absolutely not worth being in a special, all played completely straight. I'd be interested to know what you make of it after you've seen it, as it's obviously proved divisive.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Enzo on July 03, 2020, 02:08:50 AM
I'm aware it's anti-comedy and I think with a less earnest audience I would have enjoyed it. It was just with the reaction and the material married together it became insufferable very quickly.

I may give it another chance.

The audience are not being earnest either, they're playing along with him.

Enzo

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on July 03, 2020, 02:22:03 AM

Fair enough

BeardFaceMan

How do you know that?

Timothy

Probably quite fun to be in the crowd if you are a fan but I don't get why they made a Netflix special out of it. It doesn't translate to screen imo.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on July 03, 2020, 08:21:52 AM
How do you know that?

Firstly, I was at a show in London and that was clearly the vibe. Secondly, it should be pretty obvious based on some of the things he's shouting out. "I just got my medical Crystal Meth card!"

Retinend

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on July 03, 2020, 08:21:52 AM
How do you know that?

What was your perception of the mood of the audience? "Knowing?"

Armin Meiwes

Just found it really grating, might have been part of the joke but someone screeching and telling poor quality jokes/anecdotes is just not enjoyable for me although I'm a big fan of for example Todd Barry so I guess I just prefer low energy comedians.

sevendaughters

yeah I watched this just before this thread popped up and hate to say (as I like Eric Andre) that I found it a bit like postmodern Kinison in that it was mostly reliant on cadence and dynamics but probably not obvious to laypeople how serious he is.

this said I don't think that I like ANY Netflix original comedy special outside of Todd Barry. some of them I actively hate.

C_Larence

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on July 03, 2020, 09:28:32 AM
Firstly, I was at a show in London and that was clearly the vibe. Secondly, it should be pretty obvious based on some of the things he's shouting out. "I just got my medical Crystal Meth card!"

I don't think you can compare a London audience to an audience anywhere in America.

Lord Mandrake

Anti comedy is it now, so it's not supposed to be funny? In that, it was a great success.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: C_Larence on July 03, 2020, 02:37:17 PM
I don't think you can compare a London audience to an audience anywhere in America.

Ah, because London is full of smart Brits who "get it".

C_Larence

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on July 03, 2020, 06:43:30 PM
Ah, because London is full of smart Brits who "get it".

I mean it's pretty common knowledge, well known enough to be a hack observation by travelling comedians, that American audiences are more vocal than their British counterparts.

Anyway, I'm about to rewatch the first few minutes to see if I pick up on any irony from the audience this time, as it's entirely possible I didn't give them enough benefit of the doubt.

Bartholomew J Krishna

I don't understand how it was worthy of a special. I'm generally a fan of Andre but this lacked any structure or purpose.