Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:42:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cinemas and museums to reopen

Started by Fambo Number Mive, June 23, 2020, 10:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

It feels way to early for this. Even if people are required to wear masks to the cinema, and further details are to be confirmed, what is to stop them taking them off at the start of the film? People will take the mask off to eat or drink as well.

At least museums have windows that can be opened but cinema screens are going to be petri dishes.

imitationleather

Be great if the people who talk during the film get killed off, though.

BlodwynPig

FUCK OFF, FUCK OFF YOU FUCKING GENOCIDAL CUNTS

Fambo Number Mive

i reckon they'll get a lot of people going as well, despite the risks to themselves and others.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 23, 2020, 11:07:22 AM
i reckon they'll get a lot of people going as well, despite the risks to themselves and others.

GOTTA SEE THAT LATEST AVATAR AND FURIOUS FILM - ITS MORE IMPORTANT THAN LIFE!!

Commercial cinemas need also to sink without a trace. Independents, let them flourish when it is safe to do so.

Puce Moment

I reckon Chris Nolan is going to be held responsible for the Great Second Spike of 2020 that will see him no longer allowed to make his shitty films about the human species not dying out like that would be a bad thing.

Take THAT.

Fambo Number Mive

So angry and disgusted about this. Labour need to oppose these plans. We're going to be the next Florida or Texas otherwise.

Fambo Number Mive

Would writing to our MPs help? My MP is the Shadow Chancellor.

Danger Man

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 23, 2020, 11:34:55 AM
So angry and disgusted about this.

I've only been to the cinema once in the last 5 years (just so I could see Chris Morris in the flesh) and am baffled why people still want to go to them.

chveik

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 23, 2020, 11:14:24 AM
Commercial cinemas need also to sink without a trace. Independents, let them flourish when it is safe to do so.

you must be aware that independents are going to die before the commercial ones.

Captain Crunch

Quote from: BBCmodel villages

YAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! 

Captain Z

With the added advantage that you only have to stay 10cm apart.

Mobbd

Quote from: Danger Man on June 23, 2020, 12:08:53 PM
I've only been to the cinema once in the last 5 years (just so I could see Chris Morris in the flesh) and am baffled why people still want to go to them.

I go rarely. Probably twice a year. Mainly this is due to expense compared to the alternative (£13 or whatever versus the negligible cost of Netflix/Mubi). But when I go, it's a fucking treat. The nostalgic popcorn smell, getting a sense of what 'real people' are into via the previews, being unable to habitually pick up my phone or tab to a new window. Not bad.

Indies over multiplex, obviously.

I'm looking forward to them reopening. Want to see Bill and Ted. But, yeah, it's too soon innit? Going to negate the gains of lockdown.

Pranet

I like going to the cinema but I will be waiting to see how opening them pans out, death wise, before I start going again. Let other people be the guinea pigs. Same with pubs.

Puce Moment

If they can only sit a dozen of so people in each screening this could end up being fantastic albeit deadly.

Catalogue Trousers

Don't forget the pubs. A whole legion of Legend Garys getting down the local, getting pissed and getting vocal. Why do I reckon we'll see a sudden spike in A & E admissions after 4th July, to add to the fun of a new wave of Covid-19?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Danger Man on June 23, 2020, 12:08:53 PM

Totally brainstorming here but

- They have massively lowered the price of a ticket now
- It's an activity that doesn't involve shopping, dining or drinking
- It's a big screen with better sound than you get at home
- The contents of a film may be entertaining or enriching on some level
- It kills 2 hours either way

PlanktonSideburns

finally, can take my children to go see edward coulson

they missed him so much

Shoulders?-Stomach!

One question - have the people who are seriously worried and anxious about these relaxations researched the evidence of the effects of relaxing lockdown measures similar European countries who did this 6-8 weeks ago?

Because if you care to look they haven't been suffering second waves or mass death. Infections are generally falling or stable (impressive given that testing and tracing is casting the net wider) and deaths are falling or in some countries remaining in single figures every day.

We will clearly go back in to lockdown if our country happens to react differently to the precise same measures, so I'm afraid I don't understand the relentless (and so far at each stage utterly disproven) morbidity and naysaying.

The changes proposed aren't happening until 4th July at any rate. The view of that date being too soon is countered by the available evidence and by extrapolating the likely figures the UK will be at by then.

Pranet

I don't know, obviously. I did a humanities degree. It may well be fine for all I know. I just am being cautious.

The counter to your argument would be, I suppose, that we are more like Florida or Texas, in terms of where we are with covid, than we are Denmark or Portugal, and those states are seeing rising cases.

But like I said, I don't pretend to know.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteThe counter to your argument would be, I suppose, that we are more like Florida or Texas, in terms of where we are with covid

What makes you think that? I have no idea what that could be based on.

The data available suggests that we have followed a similar path to France, Germany, Italy and Spain, with Germany at the effectively handled end and UK at the incompetent end.

Texas has already had the virus for months but due to significant differences in geography and transport (vs say Western Europe), not to mention lockdown measures they had for a time, deaths and the spread of the virus across the population has been intermittent and confined to local outbreaks. I think we know that countries with a large landmass will likely be stuck in a series of waves and outbreaks and will need to begin to respond to these in a more targeted manner.

In 12 days time (yes, it's happening then, not tonight) the UK will (barring some anomalous event) be well below the pre-lockdown infections and deaths and simply following the same loosening of restrictions which have been in large part successful across Europe.

Fambo Number Five has objected at every single step of the easing with dire warnings and caution yet the numbers kept falling, just as they did when the countries above introduced them several weeks before us. Perhaps looking at what's going on elsewhere in our region would be useful when forming a view on this.

Sin Agog

This is the exact same Shoulders who was talking about how mad it was shutting down the pubs just days before the lockdown.  Days which almost doubled the UK death rate.  You're supposed to look at the wimmens with beer goggles, not questionable corona figures.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: chveik on June 23, 2020, 12:16:08 PM
you must be aware that independents are going to die before the commercial ones.

not with affirmative action... I'm seeing quite a lot of collectivism and groundswell during the pandemic. If you want to go to a cinema, support your local independent...you can even have TRASH FILM WEDNESDAY if you like.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Sin Agog on June 23, 2020, 07:46:28 PM
This is the exact same Shoulders who was talking about how mad it was shutting down the pubs just days before the lockdown.  Days which almost doubled the UK death rate.  You're supposed to look at the wimmens with beer goggles, not questionable corona figures.

Hell of a lot of bias on both sides - Shoulders on one side, me on the other. but I can say, even if there was never a pandemic, I would prefer a massive lockdown to allow animals to take over the skanky spaces the tail end of a dying humanity has produced.

chveik

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 23, 2020, 08:19:11 PM
If you want to go to a cinema, support your local independent...you can even have TRASH FILM WEDNESDAY if you like.

I used to, but I now live in a cultural wasteland.

BlodwynPig

chveik

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 23, 2020, 05:43:24 PM
What makes you think that? I have no idea what that could be based on.

The data available suggests that we have followed a similar path to France, Germany, Italy and Spain, with Germany at the effectively handled end and UK at the incompetent end.

Texas has already had the virus for months but due to significant differences in geography and transport (vs say Western Europe), not to mention lockdown measures they had for a time, deaths and the spread of the virus across the population has been intermittent and confined to local outbreaks. I think we know that countries with a large landmass will likely be stuck in a series of waves and outbreaks and will need to begin to respond to these in a more targeted manner.

In 12 days time (yes, it's happening then, not tonight) the UK will (barring some anomalous event) be well below the pre-lockdown infections and deaths and simply following the same loosening of restrictions which have been in large part successful across Europe.

Fambo Number Five has objected at every single step of the easing with dire warnings and caution yet the numbers kept falling, just as they did when the countries above introduced them several weeks before us. Perhaps looking at what's going on elsewhere in our region would be useful when forming a view on this.

Timely automatic reply from a Swedish colleague just now

QuoteHej!

Jag är sjuk, åter inom 1 vecka

Sin Agog

Quote from: chveik on June 23, 2020, 08:31:34 PM
rural Brittany

Also my nickname for that girl from Clueless since she was buried.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Sin Agog on June 23, 2020, 07:46:28 PM

My attitude was that the virus affected clearly defined sections of the population most, so those at risk of falling seriously ill should be confined to quarters. I complained about the lack of protection for them over that whole period and the lack of self-care shown by people in those categories, but you presumably didn't see or decided to ignore that as it's inconvenient.

That would have been effective vs what the government ended up doing over the same period 'which almost doubled the UK death rate.

Anyway, the purpose of your post was to derail the arguments above it. So should we stick to addressing the points I made and see how well that goes for you?