Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:04:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cinemas and museums to reopen

Started by Fambo Number Mive, June 23, 2020, 10:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin Agog

And I recall my response at the time was that those at risk, having lived their whole lives one way, would carry on doing the exact same thing unless it was made mandatory.  They did not deserve a death sentence just for being stubborn gets.  That meant it fell down to us to...shoulder the burden, too, which most of us were prepared to do.  That's not to mention the indiscriminate, multi-generation lung damage.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Sin Agog on June 23, 2020, 09:02:09 PM
And I recall my response at the time was that those at risk, having lived their whole lives one way, would carry on doing the exact same thing unless it was made mandatory.  They did not deserve a death sentence just for being stubborn gets.  That meant it fell down to us to...shoulder the burden, too, which most of us were prepared to do.  That's not to mention the indiscriminate, multi-generation lung damage.

Yes, being stubborn gets was entirely why I held the view that they should be sent home and said so repeatedly. And eventually there were some form of risk-related supernumerary measures the government took under the 'Shielding' that took place. My opinion still is that didn't go far enough. It ought to have been more targeted and more severe whether those responsible happened to like it or not.

My opinion regarding pub re-openings isn't reflecting of a bias towards wanting to go to the pub, nor is it particulary arch or pro-pub. (A reminder, this thread is about museums and cinemas as well). I simply think that if we mirror the decisions other countries have taken which have shown to be successful, that is reasonable.  it's reflecting the fact we have widespread evidence covering multiple months worth of infection periods that pub and bar openings in Europe haven't led to mass death.

What people who think otherwise haven't explained is just what they think life ought to be like instead and what point in their view changes should be made. I would be interested to hear that (not wishful thinking like introducing UBI, degrowth etc, but what conceivably a UK government run by the Tories might actually realistically do).

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I guess they prefer reduced business to none, but is it even going to be worth the bother for cinemas to reopen? How much of their normal capacity could they admit - a quarter? I wouldn't want to risk buying snacks, either.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteMy opinion regarding pub re-openings isn't reflecting of a bias towards wanting to go to the pub, nor is it particulary arch or pro-pub. (A reminder, this thread is about museums and cinemas as well). I simply think that if we mirror the decisions other countries have taken which have shown to be successful, that is reasonable.  it's reflecting the fact we have widespread evidence covering multiple months worth of infection periods that pub and bar openings in Europe haven't led to mass death.

What people who think otherwise haven't explained is just what they think life ought to be like instead and what point in their view changes should be made. I would be interested to hear that (not wishful thinking like introducing UBI, degrowth etc, but what conceivably a UK government run by the Tories might actually realistically do).

The lockdown for me, as for most of us, has been a miserable experience. Ideally we would have had a lockdown more like Germany or Spain to get cases down quicker, but I would have liked to see a greater gap between different easings so we can get an idea of the results of doing so. A much better track and trace programme with an app should have been in place by now.

Opening up so much at once on the 4th July makes it different to identify what is causing the second spike in cases and may mean we need to go back to late March, which I really don't want to do.

There also needs to be a plan in place around alcohol and social distancing. Are pubs going to ration alcoholic drinks? Or will we just see people buying more alcohol from supermarkets and going to the pub to get drunk if we do?

I want to get this lockdown over and done with and I want to get back to normal as soon as possible but I think the government is risking a second wave and I don't want to have to lockdown again in September, but we will probably have to.

As a side point - it's frustrating that if I had a car I could go wherever I wanted in England for a walk yet because I can't drive, don't have a car and don't feel safe riding a bike my walking options are very limited. I know why public transport needs to be restricted but it is getting me down. I really miss getting a train to go exploring along the canal.

I also suspect that people in countries like Germany and Spain are far more sensible about mask wearing than people in the UK. From what I have seen, we seem to be more like people in Florida or Texas (which looks to be shutting down again) about this.

flotemysost

My neighbour works at one of the big central London museums, a couple of months ago he mentioned that they were hoping to re-open in July, but if they couldn't recoup their losses then there were genuine worries about going into admin. Not sure what the situation is now, but it felt really mad and surreal to hear that at the time.

I'd absolutely love to be able to visit museums and galleries again but it does feel very dicey, and the smaller ones (which struggle the most even under normal circumstances) might not have sufficient floor space and ventilation to re-open safely.

I wanted to see Electronic: from Kraftwerk to The Chemical Brothers at the Design Museum, apparently they're planning to re-open soon... hmm, website advises spending 1.5 hours on that exhibition, plenty of time for everyone to huff a load of each other's pathogens then. Unless that's a revised COVID timing to allow for distancing/staggered entry.

Funcrusher

Had an email from my nearest independent cinema. They're not opening until September as they don't think it's safe to open before then, which seems fair enough.

shiftwork2

It'll be interesting to see which films the distributors choose to release, given atrocious box office is likely.  I assume a lot of the scheduled releases have just been skipped.

steveh

Time Out did a piece on independent cinemas choosing not to re-open yet, with a lack of decent releases from distributors being cited as another reason to wait until the autumn.

Sebastian Cobb

QuoteUK cinema reopening guidelines include:
- "managing occupancy levels" but no capacity cap
- Staff to be appointed 'social distancing champions'
- cafes must remain closed
- wearing masks "neither expected or encouraged"
- popcorn can be served

https://www.screendaily.com/news/uk-industry-publishes-covid-19-safety-guidelines-for-cinemas/5150633.article

So 'next to fuck-all then'.

Sebastian Cobb

My old local cinema (Belmont Filmhouse) are saying while they are being given an indicitave date as to when they can open they won't reopen until they can figure out how to do it safely.

Fambo Number Mive

Not even encouraging people to wear masks and no capacity cap in particular is pretty shocking. Even in the US aren't a lot of states setting capacity caps for cinemas?

imitationleather

My girlfriend just said she's booked us a table at a restaurant on the 11th. Didn't ask me first or anything!

Errr... Better get my hazmat suit out.

olliebean

Quote- Staff to be appointed 'social distancing champions'

Well this one on its own shows that they think it's some kind of fucking game to see how much utterly meaningless shit they can get us to accept.

Captain Crunch

I can see your point but I'm more concerned about employees getting shafted down the line if / when people decide to point the finger. 

Anyway the opening days are coming through slowly, Laing Art Gallery (10th August) and Hancock museum (1st September) announced today.

Dewt

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 23, 2020, 05:25:26 PM
We will clearly go back in to lockdown if our country happens to react differently to the precise same measures
Yes I agree, I think all the public-facing businesses will think "let's take another massive profit hit and lose control of our workforce again in the best interests of the general public" and fortunately huge corporations don't have any influence on the government anyway so there's really nothing to worry about

Sebastian Cobb

GFT aren't reopening until the end of Aug apparently.

Most of the films I've seen in there are quiet enough to maintain social distance; not sure I'll be rushing back mind.

Small Man Big Horse

If I was to go to the cinema wearing a face mask and a visor, and didn't eat or drink anything while there, presumably I should be vaguely safe? Or am I missing something?*

*Which is quite possible. Or even very possible.

Sebastian Cobb

I think it depends how busy it may be? They definitely have some hefty hvac both for for keeping the projection equipment and the punters cool so they could be blowing nasties about.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 07, 2020, 09:18:33 PM
I think it depends how busy it may be? They definitely have some hefty hvac both for for keeping the projection equipment and the punters cool so they could be blowing nasties about.

Ah, I hadn't thought of that aspect so it probably is worth avoiding them for a while longer then.

Replies From View

Quote from: Pranet on June 23, 2020, 04:29:21 PM
I like going to the cinema but I will be waiting to see how opening them pans out, death wise, before I start going again. Let other people be the guinea pigs. Same with pubs.

Same here.  Gonna wait for the reviews to start coming in before I spend my own money on it.

Chedney Honks

Two hours in a closed air conditioned space breathing in other people's exhalation is basically inserting a vent down your own oesophagus.

Puce Moment

Buy a 60" TV with speakers or wait until the cinemas open.

Think I might be bankrupting myself with the former.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 08, 2020, 04:30:42 PM
Buy a 60" TV with speakers or wait until the cinemas open.

Think I might be bankrupting myself with the former.

Hisense seem to be well regarded and cheap, 300 quid for 4k the less posh version of HDR and inbuilt Roku.

Puce Moment

Oooh! Thanks Sebastian - you have saved me a posting. Going to look now.

Sebastian Cobb

It's probably worth a thread in the tech bit - there's a multitude of standards and stuff that people definitely understand better than me, but they did seem good value.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Chedney Honks on July 08, 2020, 08:07:04 AM
Two hours in a closed air conditioned space breathing in other people's exhalation is basically inserting a vent down your own oesophagus.

And how clean can you really get cinema seats and armrests? The vinyl ones can probably be wiped down easily, aside from the cracks and seams, but an arthouse with fraying fabric is a disease-trap. And can they do a proper cleaning between showings?

Sheffield Wednesday

I don't actually care. I won't be a lesson to anyone besides how to say alive and keep other people alive.

Blinder Data

My local arthouse is organising some drive-in cinema showings on a car park near the airport. I've never done it before and I thought it could be fun so I checked the prices.

Thirty three fecking quid!

EDIT: OK, that's per vehicle, but still. It should cost two bucks apiece with free hot dogs.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blinder Data on July 16, 2020, 10:27:31 AM
My local arthouse is organising some drive-in cinema showings on a car park near the airport. I've never done it before and I thought it could be fun so I checked the prices.

Thirty three fecking quid!

EDIT: OK, that's per vehicle, but still. It should cost two bucks apiece with free hot dogs.

Is that the GFT or are others at it?

If so, that 30 quid only gets you into one of the multiple showings on a given day!

Dex Sawash

The one time I got in the trunk to get in to the drive-in for free, it turned out to be a $5/carload promotion night. My friends made me chip in my share and they opened the trunk to let me out right at the ticket booth so everyone would see what a wanker I was.