Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,477
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:27:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cinemas and museums to reopen

Started by Fambo Number Mive, June 23, 2020, 10:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

I thought they were ran semi-independently? This was the argument used in Aberdeen when the monopolies board were going at Cineworld because there were 2 actual Cineworlds, A Picturehouse and a Vue and they were going to drop the Picturehouse which was the only place doing anything different. Thankfully I think some arts money was found and Filmhouse stepped in and saved it.

Blue Jam

The Cameo in Edinburgh closing on Friday now, along with the rest of them. Bugger.

Wet Blanket

I don't know if it was the same for all of them but there was a definite decline in Picturehouse's offerings once Cineworld took over. Blockbuster and grey pound releases squeezing out the more offbeat and arthouse fare of before.

dissolute ocelot

Can we change the thread title? The Picturehouse Cameo in Edinburgh wasn't great as a cinema (too many mainstream blockbusters, poor views of the screens from a lot of the seats, the gents toilets shut for years) but definitely an Edinburgh institution and a nice cafe-bar. From old memories of the late night double bills, to the joys of standing near Ian Rankin in the bar and making rude comments under your breath.

Sebastian Cobb

There's a Filmhouse in Edinburgh as well isn't there? If they're anything like the Aberdeen one they'll be a great bunch of lads.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 06, 2020, 01:13:31 PM
There's a Filmhouse in Edinburgh as well isn't there? If they're anything like the Aberdeen one they'll be a great bunch of lads.
Yeah, it's more of a serious rep cinema with more foreign and old films, independently owned (with its Aberdeen outpost), less commercial-minded than Picturehouse (no streamed plays/concerts at Filmhouse). It's currently open with restricted hours and a mix of new releases films, stuff that's about to go on Netflix, and French documentaries about sad children, although not sure exactly what measures they have in place to protect the punters. They did an appeal for funding to keep going over spring/summer, but I think their plans for a swanky new building will be on hold.

Captain Crunch

I went last night.  My local Vue are showing all sorts of old shit so I went to see Akira (which I'd never seen before) but they had stuff like Jurassic Park, all the Harry Potter films, When Harry Met Sally, loads of stuff.  This month they're showing all the top horror films like Poltergeist and Nightmare on Elm Street.

It was fine, all spread out, masks and gels.  Staff kept coming in to check up on things so it felt fine.

By contrast, two local tofuplex places are still shut, one with nightly online events but the other one just dead.  Another independent cinema a little bit out of town is up and running but the films are DIRE.  If you think watching a film about Alison Steadman walking her stupid fat dog is a good idea you need help. 

Captain Crunch

Slight worry for me now is that I've seen two events recently, one comedy show and one gig, where you can only book tickets in multiples of two.  So if you're a terminal loner you're stuffed.