Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:39:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

2m

Started by Barry Admin, June 23, 2020, 10:55:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Pranet on June 23, 2020, 04:33:55 PM
People are getting used to around a thousand people a week dying.
It's a small enough figure for people to be able to rationalise it as "they would have died soon anyways, most of them".

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Pranet on June 23, 2020, 04:33:55 PM
People are getting used to around a thousand people a week dying. I see the government are stopping the daily briefing as well. No need, things are fine.

I didn't realise they were stopping the briefing.

Pranet

It is grimly fascinating- how many lives have to be lost before people start taking notice? How long does it take for a given death rate to become normal?

NoSleep

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 23, 2020, 04:41:33 PM
I didn't realise they were stopping the briefing.

Announced today, I think.

Fambo Number Mive

I don't see any moral justification for scrapping the briefing. I presume it's to try and make people focus on the deadly pandemic less and get more people spending.

steveh

If you're interested in the numbers, according to The Lancet's meta-study every metre above 1m approximately halves the risk of transmission.

0-1m - 12.8% risk
1-2m - 2.6% risk
2-3m - 1.3% risk

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Barry AdminSo basically the plan now then is to let a lot more people die before we end up putting some restrictions back in place, is that it?

I agree in general that caution is a good thing and there ought to be genuine concern about the lifespan of the virus and our ability to tackle it. Those shouldn't be conflated though, because we have no choice but to pick ourselves up and return to normal if possible and sufficiently safe.

Everywhere else in Europe has been doing the same for the past 6-8 weeks before us without the number of deaths and infections going up. In fact in these countries they have continued to fall or remained at a low level. That shows to me it is sufficiently safe for the UK to follow suit.

The choice of phrase 'letting people die' is neither fair as a moral judgement nor characteristic of what's happening through social policy, otherwise following that very argument we should go into lockdown every winter when seasonal flu comes knocking and kills on average 10,000-20,000 people in the UK. But we don't, we behave entirely as normal, perhaps glancing at one or two NHS posters that have been pinned up in the bogs at work. Perhaps people think that we should introduce lockdown for flu now? It would at least be consistent with this thinking.

honeychile

I like the way you can hear the cabinet focus-grouping the phrase "one metre plus." Plus? Plus what? Doesn't matter, it's more than one metre. Right but how much more? Doesn't matter, point is it's more than one metre. But we want to reduce it to one metre! Right, which is way we're not saying what plus means. Plus fuck all.

Zetetic

Zetetic

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 23, 2020, 06:12:24 PM
But we don't, we
spend a lot of time and energy on vaccination programmes for multiple strains of flu targetted at the most vulnerable and care workers, and managing outbreaks in social care, which is why the deaths from flu are as low as they are.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Zetetic on June 23, 2020, 06:40:18 PM
spend a lot of time and energy on vaccination programmes for multiple strains of flu targetted at the most vulnerable and care workers, and managing outbreaks in social care, which is why the deaths from flu are as low as they are.

Yes, indeed. Along with that we have also chosen not to curtail civic freedoms and close down parts of society and the economy for seasonal flu despite the knowledge that tens of thousands every year will die of it.

Barry Admin

BlodwynPig

BORIS PUBS OPENING ON A SATURDAY

BORIS' BRITAIN IS BACK - IF YOU DON'T LIKE A BUMPER BORIS BOOST YOU ARE NOT A PATRIOT

Why is everyone 'tentatively' falling for this schtick. Only a few weeks ago, people were saying pubs wouldn't open again until next year. Caution to the wind or...real science? Not real science, that's for sure.

BONKERS

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 23, 2020, 06:52:24 PM
Yes, indeed. Along with that we have also chosen not to curtail civic freedoms and close down parts of society and the economy for seasonal flu despite the knowledge that tens of thousands every year will die of it.

Civic freedoms? blotto in England's greatest vomitoriums?

Barry Admin

:-D great phrasing

SpiderChrist

What I don't get is this - why is it not safe for children to return to school yet, but safe for us to go to the pub?

bgmnts

People care more about getting pissed in the pub than making sure their children are well educated and safe.

Sin Agog

First time out today in four months.  Left at 6 in the am and only came back half an hour ago.  Got openly laughed at by Legend Garys twice on the way back for wearing a face mask.  Sir Isaac Newton prophesied that we'd all be kaput by 2060.  Sounds about right- maybe a little conservative even.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: SpiderChrist on June 23, 2020, 07:14:45 PM
What I don't get is this - why is it not safe for children to return to school yet, but safe for us to go to the pub?

Neither is completely safe, and absolutely unsafe with current rates and trends and lack of authority on the matter.

Boris was scared of the public going bananas and delayed lockdown, now he is gagging for the BOOST from pub opening because he sees the masses as working class scum who worship two things, the pint and the flag.

SpiderChrist

my local boozer is extremely gammony and only a 5 minute walk from my house - I am dreading Saturday night.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: SpiderChrist on June 23, 2020, 07:35:53 PM
my local boozer is extremely gammony and only a 5 minute walk from my house - I am dreading Saturday night.

why open Saturday? there is only one reason - MASS RELEASE OF PENT UP TENSION - MASS COVID INFECTIONS - MASS BOOST FOR BORIS - MASSIVE DOSH FOR RICH - MASSIVE BLOW TO NHS

NoSleep

Quote from: SpiderChrist on June 23, 2020, 07:35:53 PM

Leave them to it for a while. That should thin the crowd out for you to eventually return.

SpiderChrist

Did any journalist actually ask "Why 4th July?"

Go on, fucking surprise me.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: NoSleep on June 23, 2020, 07:38:23 PM
Leave them to it for a while. That should thin the crowd out for you to eventually return.

It's the trail of pissed up cunts walking past my front door I'm more concerned about

Pranet

I did wonder, even for the sake of argument agreeing that opening the pubs is an acceptable risk, if having the first day be a Saturday is totally wise.

Cloud

Quote from: NoSleep on June 23, 2020, 12:54:40 PM
The plan was always to just slow down the the stream of dying people all needing hospital treatment at once, not to prevent.

This.

The plan is the same as it's always been: wild herd immunity at the expense of however many deaths and fucked-up-lungs-for-life it takes.

Words that came from Boris when justifying this were (from memory)
"We think there is no risk of a second peak that overwhelms the NHS"
I added the emphasis but it was really painfully obvious that it was never about saving lives or stopping a second wave, it was only about mitigating it so that the first, second and however many waves don't all exceed the NHS capacity at once

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cloud on June 23, 2020, 07:48:25 PM
This.

The plan is the same as it's always been: wild herd immunity at the expense of however many deaths and fucked-up-lungs-for-life it takes.

I added the emphasis but it was really painfully obvious that it was never about saving lives or stopping a second wave, it was only about mitigating it so that the first, second and however many waves don't all exceed the NHS capacity at once

I hope he gets the full brunt of the second wave.

Cloud

He's already had the vi.....yeah that was bollocks wasn't it

chveik

Quote from: Cloud on June 23, 2020, 07:48:25 PM
This.

not defending your government, but it's obvious that not exceeding the NHS capacity indirectly save lives.

bgmnts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fic2dlKlhw

Its all a scam apparently anyway, fuck the 1 meter plus rule.