Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:36:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Another Spanish art restoration botch job. The curse of Monkey Christ!

Started by Brundle-Fly, June 23, 2020, 12:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

At least monkey christ was the work of a cleaning lady. This time it was alleged restorers.

Buelligan

I think it's fine, fuck the art, this could go viral and be worth far more than a mere copy of a Murillo.

NoSleep

NoSleep

Why did they try to make it look like Angela Rayner (bottom right)?

Buelligan

At least Rayner's a badly drawn mature woman.  I think the original is supposed to be a commemorative photograph of when God got Mary up the duff - she looks like a small child to me.  Which is moderately concerning in these modern times.

NoSleep

There has been a recent case of a work being de-restored after a botch:

I suppose it's easier with a statue (until recently, at least).

I wonder if any trace of the originals remain under the botched paintwork on the paintings.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: NoSleep on June 23, 2020, 01:14:45 PM
I wonder if any trace of the originals remain under the botched paintwork on the paintings.

QuoteMartínez Álava adds, "The bits of paint that were lost have been filled in and from a distance it all looks the same. But when you get up close, you can see very clear what's original and what's not."

The initial spruce-up was reportedly conducted by a local handicrafts teacher untrained in the art of restoration. According to a statement by ACRE, Spain's national organization of professional art restorers, the artist applied several layers of plaster, repainted the figure, and sanded its surface, effectively erasing the entirety of its "historical footprint." The original artist had used a unique polychrome technique. According to London's National Gallery, Spanish sculptors of the 16th and 17th centuries carved their statues and covered them in white gesso but were prohibited from actually painting the figurines, which were later gilded and refined by specially trained artisans.

idunnosomename

Quote from: NoSleep on June 23, 2020, 01:14:45 PM
There has been a recent case of a work being de-restored after a botch:

I suppose it's easier with a statue (until recently, at least).

bet you nearly all of the visible polychrome on the first isnt original. A proper conservator needs to make a choice what interventions to remove and what to preserve to keep it aesthetically legible. These both just look like overpaints

NoSleep

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on June 23, 2020, 01:54:21 PM
They've also nicked his sword.

...and also turned him into Damaris Hayman in armour by the third figure.

NoSleep

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 23, 2020, 01:30:50 PM
bet you nearly all of the visible polychrome on the first isnt original. A proper conservator needs to make a choice what interventions to remove and what to preserve to keep it aesthetically legible. These both just look like overpaints

The re-restorer says its pre-2018 appearance featured original paintwork:

Quote"It's been a long process because we had to do preliminary tests and take samples to see how we could go about cleaning it and to determine which would be the best materials and methods," he said. "Today, the statue has the same colours it had before last year's extremely unfortunate intervention. But we know that we've lost part of the original paint along the way."

Martínez Álava said that although he was a historian and not a restorer, he thought things had turned out really well. "The bits of paint that were lost have been filled in and from a distance it all looks the same," he said. "But when you get up close, you can see very clear what's original and what's not."

He said the restoration process had been time-consuming, estimating that it had taken all those involved with the project about 1,000 hours to undo the damage and restore the work.

The thing about being able to see what's original and what isn't, when close up, seems to be the norm in good restorations these days.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/21/botched-spanish-statue-st-george-lovingly-unrestored

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 23, 2020, 02:00:31 PM
...and also turned him into Damaris Hayman in armour by the third figure.

Wasn't he the lead singer of Hefner?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 23, 2020, 02:37:01 PM
Wasn't he the lead singer of Hefner?

Oh, do you dig Hefner? I'm so glad; I think they're wonderful.

Brundle-Fly

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 23, 2020, 04:32:05 PM
His solo stuff is pretty good too. RI.P. Oscillations etc

Ashes to ashes...
# funk to funky, we know Major Tom's a junkie#
* gets nutted by a pissed- up Terry Jones*
( That's enough, you annoying cunt- Neil The Ed.)

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

^ Y'all probs totes realise this, but that final bracketed bit is a " Private Eye" reference written by meself, I'm not tryna pass myself off as our beloved Neil. Anyways, let's not get too far OT.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 23, 2020, 04:41:06 PM
^ Y'all probs totes realise this, but that final bracketed bit is a " Private Eye" reference written by meself, I'm not tryna pass myself off as our beloved Neil. Anyways, let's not get too far OT.

Snip!- Ed

Small Man Big Horse

shiftwork2

NoSleep

Andy147

Quote from: Buelligan on June 23, 2020, 01:03:26 PM
At least Rayner's a badly drawn mature woman.  I think the original is supposed to be a commemorative photograph of when God got Mary up the duff - she looks like a small child to me.  Which is moderately concerning in these modern times.

No, it's an "Immaculate Conception" painting, which (at that time in Spain) depict Mary aged about 12.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Andy147 on June 23, 2020, 11:57:37 PM
No, it's an "Immaculate Conception" painting, which (at that time in Spain) depict Mary aged about 12.
Wasn't Mary about minus 9 months at the time of the immaculate conception, which is when her mum Anne got up the duff (sources differ as to exactly how)?