Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:36:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Another Spanish art restoration botch job. The curse of Monkey Christ!

Started by Brundle-Fly, June 23, 2020, 12:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on June 24, 2020, 09:59:13 AM
Wasn't Mary about minus 9 months at the time of the immaculate conception, which is when her mum Anne got up the duff (sources differ as to exactly how)?

Put me down as another one who thought Immaculate Conception referred to the conception of Jesus.  Hat fucked, etc...

Buelligan

So is this a picture of God's mother-in-law being impregnated as a child?

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Buelligan on June 24, 2020, 05:29:00 PM
So is this a picture of God's mother-in-law being impregnated as a child?

No. The Immaculate Conception just means that unlike every other human being (except Jesus obviously) Mary did not have original sin. It's an abstract concept that's not easy to represent in a painting. Around Murillo's time, the convention was represent the Immaculate Conception by portraying Mary as pure, hence her youth. You can see in the full version below that she's making a pious gesture with her hands and is surrounded by cherubim. She's also standing on the moon.

Buelligan

Yes, yes, I understand all about original sin and Mary being without it.  It seems to me though, according to that picture, that she was got up the stick looking like a little child, whether that was because she was sinless or not is moot.  This apogee of womanhood appears prepubescent.  I don't consider that to be entirely wholesome I'm afraid.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Buelligan on June 24, 2020, 06:06:14 PM
Yes, yes, I understand all about original sin and Mary being without it.  It seems to me though, according to that picture, that she was got up the stick looking like a little child, whether that was because she was sinless or not is moot.  This apogee of womanhood appears prepubescent.  I don't consider that to be entirely wholesome I'm afraid.

That's an interpretation unsupported by the evidence. The Immaculate Conception does not depict Mary getting pregnant. Usually that's depicted in the Annunciation, paintings of which almost always depict her with the Archangel Gabriel. And in the Annunciation, Mary is already pregnant.

Buelligan

Oh god, yes, I know, she started all this parthenogenesis with electric ants and aphids, not with weasels though.  Pretty sinful if you ask me.

Rainbow Moses

Well, this is what happens when you try teaching generations of aspiring artists that draughtsmanship is bullshit and refuse to train them (because of some bollocks idea that it would stifle their self-expression rather than help enable it). It's bound to have an effect.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Rainbow Moses on June 24, 2020, 07:03:23 PM
Well, this is what happens when you try teaching generations of aspiring artists that draughtsmanship is bullshit and refuse to train them (because of some bollocks idea that it would stifle their self-expression rather than help enable it). It's bound to have an effect.

I think it's a straightforward con. Someone took money to do a job they couldn't do and irreparably damaged the thing they were supposed to be restoring.

Endicott

Didn't the article say it was a furniture restorer? Either a con, or stupidity on the part of the owner, in not getting an actual art restorer involved.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Endicott on June 24, 2020, 08:03:44 PM
Didn't the article say it was a furniture restorer? Either a con, or stupidity on the part of the owner, in not getting an actual art restorer involved.

Yes, maybe a bit of both.

MojoJojo

Worth noting it was a copy, too, not the original. Not relly clear if it was a valuable copy or not.

I'm looking forward to the episode of the Spanish OFAH where Spanish Del tricks an art collector, convincing him that they're a family of art restorers by referring to Spanish Rodney's Art GCE (Spanish equivalent).  Hilarity ensues when Spanish Granddad paints the wrong painting.

idunnosomename

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on June 24, 2020, 09:59:13 AM
Wasn't Mary about minus 9 months at the time of the immaculate conception, which is when her mum Anne got up the duff (sources differ as to exactly how)?
it was joachim's old filthy old cum up her dry old vadge you heretic