Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:36:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Except for viewers in Scotland..." (Big Nic's COVID-19 response and lockdown)

Started by Blinder Data, June 23, 2020, 05:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

Something like 1 in 5 workers are still furloughed. (1 in 25 pre-pandemic workers have lost their job.)

Huge numbers are still working from home.

QuoteIs it not so much how much people travel but their behaviour when they get to the destination? (i.e social distancing, frequent hand washing etc?)
Sure, but where are we expecting people to go?

homesickalien

Quote from: Zetetic on July 01, 2020, 06:24:24 PM
Something like 1 in 5 workers are still furloughed. (1 in 25 pre-pandemic workers have lost their job.)

Huge numbers are still working from home.

Yes traffic is down but at least to me doesn't feel WAY down anymore maybe 70% of what it used to be?   Yet the Cornovairus numbers seem to still be going down

Quote from: Zetetic on July 01, 2020, 06:24:24 PM
Sure, but where are we expecting people to go?

I'm thinking the beaches, hills, forests, nature reserves etc - why can't people in Wales/Scotland and visitors from over the border  drive to these places if they are more than 5 miles away?

People can't do alot of fun activities like the pub, cinema etc so surely these places are ideal as they are free, it's alot harder to transmit the virus, good for people's mental health during these stressful times etc

There will always be Bournemouth Beach style places that get too crowded but at least in Wales and Scotland there aren't too many places like this and they usually only get busy when the weather gets hot and sunny but it often isn't. 

I totally understand policies like closing the pub and  theatres as the virus thrives indoors.  I'm just not 100% sure the devolved governments limit on travel really makes much difference.

I hope anyone from outside Wales/Scotland doesn't get blamed for "bringing the virus over" when they visit these countries.  I don't see how they can be if they follow the guidelines?

Sebastian Cobb

Sturgeon's saying we have to wear masks and it's going down about as well as you can expect in Unionist circle.s

GMTV

I think regardless of what has happened, what will happen or what anyone says or does, we can be clear this year has further proven why independence must happen.

GMTV

Covid has been filmed singing sectarian songs (b*lly b*ys) and has been seen wearing a Rangers strip. That tells us all we need to know about the threat to our nation.

GMTV

In all seriousness everyone in the east end of Glasgow has been stringently wearing a face mask since the threat of the global pandemic became clear. And the rate of face mask wearing in areas such as Drumchapel has been very low.

Dr Trouser

My morning run takes me through Drumchapel, Bearsden and Maryhill. No one appears to give a fuck about masking up. To be fair though maryhill is pretty scary for a virus to go to and Bearsden folk are of the opinion that the virus really isn't for them, it's more for the proles.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: GMTV on July 04, 2020, 08:16:22 AM
In all seriousness everyone in the east end of Glasgow has been stringently wearing a face mask since the threat of the global pandemic became clear. And the rate of face mask wearing in areas such as Drumchapel has been very low.

I live in one of the less desirable parts of the east-end and am one of the few people wearing a mask. The only other people I've seen look like rather unhealthy substance users who I assume have been given disposable ones for free.

Malcy

Sturgeon announces an increase in how many households you can meet up  with but it's now unlimited for children. Fucking what?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: jamiefairlie on June 24, 2020, 05:10:44 AM
Also puts me in mind of this little gem from Lord (so many labour Lords aren't there) George Foulkes....

"The SNP are on a dangerous tack at the moment," he said. "What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the Border in a number of areas."

A clearly bemused MacKay responded with the obvious question: "Is this such a bad thing?"

"No," replied George Lord, "but they are doing it deliberately."

Heh! Where's that quote from?

It was in a radio interview in 2007 or 2008 - it's referenced in the first paragraph here.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/scotland/2019/08/scottish-labour-must-stop-treating-nationalism-virus-be-cured

Another classic Scottish Labour one-liner was their new Blairite deputy leader Jackie Baillie's assertion (in 2014) that independence would make Scotland and England geographically further apart.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on July 09, 2020, 05:57:34 PM
It was in a radio interview in 2007 or 2008 - it's referenced in the first paragraph here.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/scotland/2019/08/scottish-labour-must-stop-treating-nationalism-virus-be-cured

Another classic Scottish Labour one-liner was their new Blairite deputy leader Jackie Baillie's assertion (in 2014) that independence would make Scotland and England geographically further apart.

Hahaha! Thanks.