Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,464
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:23:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Jonathan Pie - joke thief.

Started by j_u_d_a_s, June 24, 2020, 12:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j_u_d_a_s

No one's favourite news reporter Jonathan Pie, not content with ripping off a clip from it'll be alright on the night, is now ripping off tweets which do big numbers. Someone I worked with tweeted a couple weeks ago:

https://twitter.com/bskipper27/status/1270403642076651521?s=20

And tonight Pie's tweeted:

https://twitter.com/JonathanPieNews/status/1275460713885155333

Puting aside the flagrant plagiarism, Pie can't even get the rhythm of a joke right. He's made it objectively shitter by needlessly adding on "Seems sensible".

bgmnts

Jonathan Pie, much to my surprise, seems to have a huge following of the weirdest people calling themselves left wing I've ever known, if youtube comments sections are a good barometer.

But yeah, plagiarism doesn't seem like it'd be a step too far for him I've seen bits of his act and FUCK ME its rancid.

Nowhere Man

He's the type of "comedian" loved by people that think After Earth is the greatest bit of UK television for 10 years.

Chollis

Quote from: Nowhere Man on June 24, 2020, 02:10:10 AM
He's the type of "comedian" loved by people that think After EarthLife is the greatest bit of UK television for 10 years.

rue the polywhirl

Well, because it's Twitter the chances are that whatever you come up with has already been expressed by someone else and also I'm not even sure if the Jonathan guy writes his own stuff so any deliberate plagiarism if it has occurred would be the fault of his jokewriter.

keir

Supposedly a comedy character, but if you take issue with something he says his fans never say "he was only joking".

BlodwynPig

its not a joke, its an observation. 2 or more people can make the same observation. weak sauce.

jonboy

He loves the phrase 'wanking for coins' too, which is from Brooker's TvGoHome.

jobotic

Spiked twat.

Pictures of Brendan O'Niell's forehead are funnier than anything Pie has ever said.

Jerzy Bondov

idunnosomename

First one is infinitely better

Flippancy
Brevity
Cadence
Specificity of Nemesis Inferno

Is it ripped off? Essentially it's grandmother on the park's most famous ride. So maybe not

Thursday

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 24, 2020, 08:15:44 AM
its not a joke, its an observation. 2 or more people can make the same observation. weak sauce.

Pretty specific observation

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Thursday on June 24, 2020, 09:53:51 AM
Pretty specific observation

It wasn't funny. Not a joke. It was an observation that could be applied to a multitude of things with the same phrasing.

"Can't hug my nan, but can get boozed up at a Wetherspoon's in Bromley with her"

"Can't hug my nan, but can watch Avengers: Men in Too Much Lycra at the cinema with her"

evilcommiedictator

Stop trying to cancel free speech, and this is the best kind of free speech, stealing from someone poorer than you, practiced by the rich and powerful throughout the ages.
If the culture war demands we steal due to a lack of talent and Koch funds, then By Churchill, steal we must

Barry Admin

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 24, 2020, 09:59:56 AM
It wasn't funny. Not a joke. It was an observation that could be applied to a multitude of things with the same phrasing.

"Can't hug my nan, but can get boozed up at a Wetherspoon's in Bromley with her"

"Can't hug my nan, but can watch Avengers: Men in Too Much Lycra at the cinema with her.

What makes you think that a deliberately humourous observation is "not a joke"?

bgmnts

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 24, 2020, 08:15:44 AM

Isn't observational comedy making jokes about noticing things?

evilcommiedictator

If you're looking for things that are "not a joke" you've turned to the right Pie.

A friend of mine hadn't got sick of the hecking I was giving to him by him sending me videos, but I got him to stop after Pie's take on being hashtag cancelled - it is so fucking stupid, he invents a scenario for him to be cancelled by exaggerating in front of some terrible young people, and turns it into a full FrEe SpEeCh fever dream of being cancelled over something out of context. This is "funny" somehow, I guess, to other people suffering fever dreams, severe head injuries and overflowing wallets

Thursday

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 24, 2020, 09:59:56 AM

"Can't hug my nan, but can watch Avengers: Men in Too Much Lycra at the cinema with her"

You see, just here you've come up with two alternative phrasings that still get across the same observation. So you've somewhat made it your own, even though yet it's a fairly standard format

And yet Pie couldn't even do that, so what's your point exactly? The actual comedian (ostensibly) couldn't even do better than random person on twitter just making an observation. So not sure why you're determined to bat for Jonathan Pie here. Even if it wasn't plagiarised, he still only did it worse.

Captain Z

Sounds like he simply took his name from Jonatton Yeah?/Geek Pie in Nathan Barley.

Puce Moment

Has anyone heard the Pie interview on the comedian's comedian podcast? It's quite old now, but it is a good insight into this bloke who admittedly had zero interest in politics who just wanted to do funny videos.

I think that goes some way to explaining why his politics, when closely inspected, are inconsistent and often ill-considered.

Cheesewogg

Quote from: bgmnts on June 24, 2020, 01:13:45 AM
Jonathan Pie, much to my surprise, seems to have a huge following of the weirdest people calling themselves left wing I've ever known, if youtube comments sections are a good barometer.

But yeah, plagiarism doesn't seem like it'd be a step too far for him I've seen bits of his act and FUCK ME its rancid.

He joins Frankie Boyle in mining Jerry Sadowitz for all he is worth. What both forget is that out of context of a full Sadowitz show the jokes are just nasty. Sadowitz sets are one loop from audience disdain to shoring up his own inadequacies via the scatology and venom.

He is arguably just an actor reading lines, after all and the "character" is hidden behind. The twitter account may have several authors too. I think the actor who plays Pie is ok at the role. The script needs severe work in terms of originality and is politically ominous at times; and is as problematic as all characters to whom the public were introduced first before the person playing it.

dothestrand

Wasn't Andrew Doyle one of the Jonathan Pie creators/writers?

Rolf Lundgren

They always say if you're going to steal, steal from the best.

elliszeroed

If I were to ever to become a stand-up comedian, "Joke Thief" would be the name of my first, and last tour.

SteveDave

Pink Gregory

From the same school of people who think Matt Forde is a 'political genius'

idunnosomename

Quote from: Pink Gregory on June 25, 2020, 10:56:46 AM
From the same school of people who think Matt Forde is a 'political genius'
im pretty sure Matt Forde is entirely bankrolled by the Tony Blair Institute and nobody actually likes him

Pink Gregory

I really like John Robins but I get annoyed with him because he gets his political opinions from Matt Forde, or so he says. 

Imagine getting your political opinions from Matt Forde.  Ye gods.

Bernice

I used to like Robins but over time his fucking endless stream of middle-of-the-road, lukewarm opinions began to grate too much. I can abide him copying his delivery from Partridge but I don't think its necessary for him to adopt his personality wholesale.