Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:42:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Jonathan Pie - joke thief.

Started by j_u_d_a_s, June 24, 2020, 12:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Culture Bunker

With the post above about the character's moment in the sun perhaps being over, I wondered whether the writer/s will decide to go wholesale for the anti-woke/BLM type crowd? Isn't Doyle part of that Spiked crowd? I read on another forum approval of this last video with a comment of "and the guy used to be a Communist, so he knows how stupid the left is".

j_u_d_a_s

Quote from: Wacky Homemade Badges on June 28, 2020, 11:01:46 PM
Doyle himself is kind of interesting in a rubbernecky sort of way. You go from being a totally unsuccessful conventional stand up through a sort of endless doubling down of crypto alt rightiness (because every time you do it, it gets you the attention you've never got before) until you become some sort of joke free pseudo-"truth teller" preaching to a tiny but devoted choir of people like Toby Young. I mean, Doyle used to babysit Stewart Lee's kids. He's gone on quite a journey.

I didn't understand Doyle's hard swerve to the right until Linehan went off the deep end about trans people and the types he's now embedded himself with. Then you have the rise of dirtbag/anti identity politics left ala Chapo Trap House/Cumtown etc. Comics who've failed to shine after their careers didn't take off the way they were expected to like Andrew Lawrence and Lee Hurst. And not to mention that Spiked was made from the ashes of Living Marxism, it doesn't seem that unusual now.

At least Linehan did Father Ted long before he went full time with being angry on the internet.

Cloud

I liked him until the other day when he leapt to JK Rowling's defence in one of his videos, now I'm not so sure.  He had a good point about social media cancellations, but does he HAVE to jump into the trans fight.. ugh

evilcommiedictator

The Trashfuture team did a good podcast on the origins of spiked, and I enjoyed their pointing out how well funded they were both before and after in regards to pushing anti-left ideology, both from allegedly within and now from the outside

Barry Admin

Quote from: Cloud on June 29, 2020, 01:14:32 AMHe had a good point about social media cancellations, but does he HAVE to jump into the trans fight.. ugh

What do you think makes this a good point? Actually, let me clarify that: why is it that outraged cunts on Twitter trying to get people fired are now supposed to be emblematic of the left?

How do people look at the world around them - with eg Trump having just tweeted out a video of someone shouting "white power" - and seriously believe that it's the left that have all the cultural and political power?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 29, 2020, 08:18:05 AMHow do people look at the world around them - with eg Trump having just tweeted out a video of someone shouting "white power" - and seriously believe that it's the left that have all the cultural and political power?
I think some just like to have an "enemy" to focus on. It doesn't matter that Trump is in the White House, Johnson in #10 - there has to be something to be "against". Same reason, I guess, you see terms like "cultural Marxism" get thrown around a lot, as well as numerous Jordan Peterson sorts selling ready made opinions.

notjosh

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 29, 2020, 08:18:05 AM
why is it that outraged cunts on Twitter trying to get people fired are now supposed to be emblematic of the left?

Because it's the EXACT SAME PEOPLE that something something else.

jobotic

How do people look at the world around them - with eg Trump having just tweeted out a video of someone shouting "white power" - and seriously believe that it's the left that have all the cultural and political power?

They don't. They pretend because they know that they are the cunts, but want to think otherwise.

Thursday

Still get Andrew Doyle and Andrew Lawrence confused.

keir

What do you think makes this a good point? Actually, let me clarify that: why is it that outraged cunts on Twitter trying to get people fired are now supposed to be emblematic of the left?

Almost all the people I know that have got banned from twitter got banned for a very specific thing - calling a racist a cunt.

Presumably reported by freeze peach hypocrites.