Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:04:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Talking Heads Remake

Started by Natnar, June 24, 2020, 09:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 01, 2020, 02:32:07 PM
His brother was in a top 4AD band, as well ( Frazier Chorus, of " Sloppy Heart" and 4AD band anachronistic version of " Anarchy In The UK" fame).All in all, I think It's safe to say that Martin Freeman is a great bunch of lads.

You old hat fucker.

neveragain

Quote from: græskar on July 04, 2020, 12:11:04 PM
I love love love Talking Heads... But I felt Imelda Staunton really overacted and I was annoyed half-way through. I appreciate that it was a different take on the character, obviously it wouldn't be good to just copy Patricia Routledge's performance. This reading was much angrier, much more unhinged and bigoted (she said "temple for the use of racial minorities" with obvious disdain, while the original reading didn't give me that emotion at all). But I think she could've toned it down a bit.

I do agree that Patricia Routledge's withdrawn sadness is a lot more subtle than Imelda Staunton's vindictive bigot approach but I felt it still worked. You also mentioned Lesley Manville following in the footsteps of Maggie Smith and I'd definitely say Smith trumps her there. Even though Manville has a lovely natural manner, Smith's portrayal was just more interesting somehow... spikier.

timebug

Never did see the original versions of these, so am coming to it with mixed expectations. Loving them so far, and the weakest one (IMO) was the Jodie Comer one. Really loved the Kristen Scott Thomas one, she was so like a real 'antique shop' owner that I used to know, expert at everything, but often knew nothing!

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

That actual story with Kristen Scott Thomas, as well acted as it was, was pretty weak sauce, though. You could see how the story was going to end practically before the opening titles came up, the ending was even flagged in the actual title of the episode! Seemed like a first draft for a Roald Dahl story when he's writing for grown ups. Think I prefer these monologues when  Bennett's being a bit more ambitious, writing about women married to probable serial killers, and mums wanting to shag their sons, and that.

A lot of folk seem to be saying Her Who Plays Villanelle's episode was the weakest ( certainly, she came across as the fittest the most " I'm an actress, me" performer ( I know that was her character, I mean she came across as the actual Her Who Plays Villanelle evincing " I'm An Actress, Me" vibes, while playing the part of an actress giving out " I'm An Actress, Me" vibes, egad , this is confusing)of the Talking Heads gang, does anyone on 'ere want to stick up for her?

neveragain

No.

And there are so many threads planted at the start of Hand Of God that come together; she talks of knowing the trick of asking mainly about one thing then casually buying what you really want (the lad does this), her hatred for the Christies 'barrow boys' (he is one), how she'll never diversify (ends up selling chutney), how she doesn't watch television (her downfall). It's beautifully arranged, though I didn't pick all that up on first viewing.

Also, that you may have a sense of where it's going isn't bad.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Not showing off or anything, but I picked up on all those things ( maybe subconsciously remembering the outcomes from when I saw the original broadcast), her ending up selling prettily  packaged chutney was also an obvious one, I thought.
Come to think of it, all of these Talking Heads are quite plain in signposting events, the serial killer one and the Paedo Parkie one are also fairly obvious in that respect.
....so I should be giving the boy Bennett kudos for the standard of his writing, I dare say he's not trying to go all twisty and turny plotwise on us. Rather, these monologues are an exercise in displays of the human condition ( not particularly optimistic displays either, none of the Talking Heads gang seem to end up in a good place).

So yes, on reflection, I'm going to say " well done" to Alan Bennett for his writing skillz!

neveragain

The signs are there for you to pick up on so again it's hardly a fault but actually I will agree that, before Celia gets the box with the finger in it (which does make the story sound more interesting than it is) nothing much happens, apart from her haunting the bedside of that dying old lady. Most of them are full of incident.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about her hanging round that woman who was going to croak it in the hope of getting some top antwacky  bargains, plainly her being swindled out of millions is her comeuppance for that caper, and the boy Bennett is quite a morally balanced writer.
Which leads me back to the ambiguity of " Her Big Chance", and the blurring of the moral boundaries in that episode. Is Leslie being duped into having saucy times with those fellas involved in the film ( from the minor to the most major level), or is she just naturally a birrova slapper? After all, she did volunteer to simulate some Percy Filth with one of the actors on that film ( in a scene), but was turned down by the moustachioed possible gayer. Cynical Slapper or Hopelessly Naive Would- Be Career Advancing Thespian? Where , exactly, are this woman's morals? They're over there , in the box. I'm having treatment, and Bennett can get stuffed.

chveik

most of the monologues are told by characters lacking of self-awareness so it seems quite normal that you would pick on things 'before' them

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

A happy ending for the Maxine Peake episode! No priz ( literal or mental) for yer woman, she gets to be a plates of meat[nb]rhyming slang[/nb] prossie for her chiropodist, and seems quite content with that. Wasn't that nice of the boy Bennett?

the science eel

Quote from: chveik on July 06, 2020, 03:30:03 PM
most of the monologues are told by characters lacking of self-awareness so it seems quite normal that you would pick on things 'before' them

I would hope the whole POINT is that you're supposed to pick up on things before the characters themselves do.

Otherwise they really are complete shyte.

Patricia Routledge is phenomenal, mind. In everything. Just wanted to say.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

That gradual drip-feed of information is one of the defining characteristics of these monologues, it's not something Bennett did by accident. Obviously.

the science eel

I saw him walking down the road chewing on a digestive biscuit ooh I'd never have guessed he was a Muslim

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: the science eel on July 10, 2020, 07:00:07 PM
I saw him walking down the road chewing on a digestive biscuit ooh I'd never have guessed he was a Muslim

Austin Mahone considers rewrite.

græskar

Quote from: the science eel on July 10, 2020, 05:43:06 PM

Patricia Routledge is phenomenal, mind. In everything. Just wanted to say.

She really is, a very rare talent. If anyone hasn't seen A Woman of No Importance yet, the prototype of Talking Heads, watch it, it's bloody brilliant.