Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:14:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Segway is dead

Started by dissolute ocelot, June 24, 2020, 11:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dissolute ocelot

The classic Segway, beloved of mall cops and people who like falling off cliffs, is to cease production. They've always seemed as if they might be fun to ride for 10 minutes but I've never bothered, and now I probably never will. Meanwhile the company's going to continue to make electric scooters and other more mundane ways of getting up a slight hill with minimal dignity.

Has anything funny ever happened to you in connection with a Segway? Maybe you ran over Usain Bolt or thought that was how you spell the actual word "segue".

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/jun/23/segway-transporter-production-ends

Sebastian Cobb

I thought they'd got rid of the original one a while back.

I suppose their essence lives on in far cheaper hover boards and standing unicycles.

Alberon

I've ridden them a few times at those Go Ape places where you go through the woods and you get a few paths you can go around as fast as you dare.

They're generally very easy to control once you get past the feeling that you're going to fall over as something with just two wheels shouldn't be able to stay upright on its own. Really they're no more dangerous than an electric bike, but I wouldn't ride one of those (or any bike) on the roads as I wouldn't feel safe.

Shame they're going as they're quite fun.

Gradual Decline

Butchers Blind

What about that chimpanzee?  Where is he now?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

They are reasonably fun to use but there's some very particular element to controlling it that is unintuitive and so despite being slow and mainly safe I can see why there have been loads of accidents.

I don't think they ever managed to bring the price of one down to an affordable level but there's also the thing of looking like a paralysed space tyrant that might have put people off.

I'll be glad if they're out of city centre. Segway tours are a shit for cunts.

NoSleep

GOB in Arrested Development must have been a blow to the Segway. The Segway was the icing on his smarmy cunt cake.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 24, 2020, 12:12:46 PM
I'll be glad if they're out of city centre. Segway tours are a shit for cunts.

I've seen those in most European cities I've been on holiday to, and never seen a single tourist on one.

I bet those Segway tour guides are on commission only as well, or they get paid a minimal amount to piss about on Segways in a sunny and picturesque town square chatting with their mates. On second thoughts, I suppose there are worse summer jobs.

I hope silent discos are next. For now, Covid has killed those off in Embra and I am glad.

There's a Segway tour at my local country park which seems to have decided that it has right of way on the footpaths, expecting us freeloading plebs on foot to scatter whenever they come near. Proper gentrified nonsense that needs to fuck off ASAP.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: NoSleep on June 24, 2020, 12:16:20 PM
GOB in Arrested Development must have been a blow to the Segway. The Segway was the icing on his smarmy cunt cake.

Also:

Brundle-Fly

Next you'll be telling us the Sinclair C5 will be coming out of production!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 24, 2020, 12:50:56 PM
Next you'll be telling us the Sinclair C5 will be coming out of production!

The Sinclair C5 will be coming out of production!

jenna appleseed

'Segway is deadway' surely?

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on June 24, 2020, 11:00:37 AM

thought that was how you spell the actual word "segue".

---

The opposite for me, right until the segway happened I thought the word was pronounced seeg.

popcorn

Quote from: Alberon on June 24, 2020, 11:11:39 AM
I've ridden them a few times at those Go Ape places where you go through the woods and you get a few paths you can go around as fast as you dare.

They're generally very easy to control once you get past the feeling that you're going to fall over as something with just two wheels shouldn't be able to stay upright on its own. Really they're no more dangerous than an electric bike, but I wouldn't ride one of those (or any bike) on the roads as I wouldn't feel safe.

Shame they're going as they're quite fun.

I did one of those Go Ape things too on a work outing and actually came away really impressed. They're really fun and intuitive to ride, and of course also inherently funny.

idunnosomename

saw a bunch of divs fannying about with them in prague few years ago, looked like right ninnies. thats my segway story cheers

marquis_de_sad

The Segway of all flesh

Keebleman

Quote from: jenna appleseed on June 25, 2020, 12:49:13 AM

The opposite for me, right until the segway happened I thought the word was pronounced seeg.

I thought segue was pronounced 'seeg' too, for decades.  Tbh, I still think 'seeg' sounds better for the meaning of the word.  'Something seegs into something else.'  Seeg, with its long 'e' sound, evokes a movement between states far better than the correct pronunciation. 

Can't remember how I found out the correct way, but thankfully it was before I ever had to give a passionate speech in front of thousands of people in which the word appeared and they all fell about laughing because I said it wrong.

Quote from: NoSleep on June 24, 2020, 12:16:20 PM
GOB in Arrested Development must have been a blow to the Segway.

Narrator: Meet 80s pop sensation David Van Day - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0c5I7LKMIk&t=0m17s

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on June 24, 2020, 12:35:13 PM
There's a Segway tour at my local country park which seems to have decided that it has right of way on the footpaths, expecting us freeloading plebs on foot to scatter whenever they come near. Proper gentrified nonsense that needs to fuck off ASAP.

I'd go on a tour where everybody wore roller-skates and they roped you together and pulled you along. And if you fell over, they didn't stop. Segways are much too impractical for touring anything short of a huge empty industrial complex.

NoSleep