Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,457
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:54:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Kids being sent back to school [split topic]

Started by greencalx, June 23, 2020, 04:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: greencalx on June 25, 2020, 09:52:12 AM
You sounded pretty dismissive to me. But apology accepted.

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not a maga-style "there is no virus" theorist. The lockdown in March was an entirely reasonable measure to limit the spread. Social distancing now likely remains essential and in some form until we have a vaccine. I don't quite see the argument for opening pubs etc - I think adults can hang in there a bit longer.

But when it comes to education it's a case of difficult difficult lemon difficult. But I think it starts with accepting that long-term home-based education is unsustainable for a variety of reasons. First, inequality is widening every day it goes on. Second, the impact is disproportionate on women. And third, schools (or education settings construed more generally, to include sports clubs, outdoor ed etc) do a hell of a lot more for kids development than just the three Rs which is the bit you can do at home.

I believe reopening can be done slowly and safely, for example, but starting with small-group outdoor-based activities where transmission risk is known to be low (as I suggested). Going straight to a full reopening of schools now would clearly be reckless. Key worker bases have been operating for many weeks and we should be looking there for evidence of the risk of outbreaks etc and how to mitigate them. I've not sought out this evidence myself but I'm guessing it would have been a major news story of such settings were responsible for a large number of infections. This gives me confidence that we can get kids back to school to a reasonable level without putting too many people at risk. (Vulnerable kids and staff, including those with vulnerable relatives do need thinking about though).

I take the point about not wishing C19 on anyone. But I also think it's unacceptable to say that C19 deaths are the only deaths that matter.

Agreed.

Also, All Deaths Matter.

finnquark

The guidance published this morning includes such nuggets as:

• Schools should use their existing resources to make arrangements to welcome all children back. There are no plans at present to reimburse additional costs incurred as part of that process.
  • our NHS Test and Trace system is up and running
  • Schools should work with partners to consider staggered start times
  • Experience during the 2012 London Olympics showed that it is possible to make a very real difference to travel patterns where there is a concerted effort to do so

Drivel.

jobotic

Quote from: finnquark on July 02, 2020, 10:56:38 AM
The guidance published this morning includes such nuggets as:

• Schools should use their existing resources to make arrangements to welcome all children back. There are no plans at present to reimburse additional costs incurred as part of that process.
  • our NHS Test and Trace system is up and running
[/b]
  • Schools should work with partners to consider staggered start times
  • Experience during the 2012 London Olympics showed that it is possible to make a very real difference to travel patterns where there is a concerted effort to do so

Drivel.

Skim reading the guidance, but can you tell me where those points are? Thanks[/list]

olliebean

Quote from: jobotic on July 02, 2020, 11:04:34 AM

Skim reading the guidance, but can you tell me where those points are? Thanks[/list]

The guidance is at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/actions-for-schools-during-the-coronavirus-outbreak/guidance-for-full-opening-schools. Ctrl-F and search within the page for those points and you will find them.

The whole thing seems to hinge on a belief that young children are somehow immune to coronavirus. They aren't. They are less likely to suffer serious symptoms and side effects, but they can still catch it and pass it on. And because they are more likely to be asymptomatic, there's a very good chance you could have a serious outbreak and only notice it because of infection in teachers, parents and the wider community several days later.

It's absolutely psychotic.

SpiderChrist

And now, on top of prepping for kids returning in September, schools now have to prepare for a full examination session in the autumn.

finnquark

Quote from: SpiderChrist on July 02, 2020, 11:19:14 AM
    And now, on top of prepping for kids returning in September, schools now have to prepare for a full examination session in the autumn.

This is giving me kittens frankly. Not only will there be a wave of appeals from the Centre Assessed Grade process, but the college site will then be used for hoards of (quite rightly) disappointed leavers who want to do their exam for real. The problem is that, although we made the course materials available to them all when college shut, and they have textbooks, schemes of study and so on, we didn't directly teach them after two weeks because the emphasis had to shift towards the lower sixth. We've had no guidance on what to do when the inevitable emails start to come in, and (ex) students start to demand online lessons, extra essays being marked, etc. It's back of a fag packet stuff, born from a refusal to engage with reality from February and March onwards, as the Conservative Party has refused to do in almost every other area.

jobotic

No it's disruptive unions who hate children. Just ask Labour.

jobotic

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 02, 2020, 11:15:41 AM
    The whole thing seems to hinge on a belief that young children are somehow immune to coronavirus. They aren't. They are less likely to suffer serious symptoms and side effects, but they can still catch it and pass it on. And because they are more likely to be asymptomatic, there's a very good chance you could have a serious outbreak and only notice it because of infection in teachers, parents and the wider community several days later.

It's absolutely psychotic.

Many schools locally that have a number of children back have them working in bubbles, but staff (usually TAs rather than teachers) working in different bubbles during the day, therefore making it a pointless exercise.

olliebean

This one, though:

QuoteSchools should use their existing resources to make arrangements to welcome all children back. There are no plans at present to reimburse additional costs incurred as part of that process.

It's basically a huge "fuck you" to schools. "What, you though we might care enough about your staff and pupils' health that we might give you a little extra funding to ensure your school is safe? Well fuck you, suckers, you're on your own."

MojoJojo

Quote from: jobotic on July 02, 2020, 11:54:04 AM
    Many schools locally that have a number of children back have them working in bubbles, but staff (usually TAs rather than teachers) working in different bubbles during the day, therefore making it a pointless exercise.

My kids school is has been very clear that teaching staff stay in bubbles. But the problem with bubbles is kids tend to have siblings.