Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:44:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fuck the Rich

Started by bgmnts, June 24, 2020, 02:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Oh dear, that's terrible. Better book Bono next year, avoid all that nastiness.

greenman

I need to hear what the CEO's of Atari, Ask Jeeves and Pam Am think about this issue.

Buelligan

That's a great little film.  It made me think again about this one, the Gary Younge vid for Doubledown. 

In it, he talks about violence really insightfully, it needs watching.  He talks about the way our world is organised and run, to make it impossible to create change, like the change called for in your piece, using normal fair democratic means.  He explains that, when a world or a society is run in that way, when it commits violence, though neglect, oppression, indignity, poverty or even plain state-sanctioned murder, against big parts of the community, then violence, as a response from that oppressed group, is the only way change can come.  The oppressed are left with the choice, continue to be preyed upon or rise up.

These people who are running the game with a stacked deck need to wake up to that.  They need to stop fucking the planet over too.  The planet can't be talked down and it doesn't give a shit about the police.

evilcommiedictator

"we've reduced poverty around the world"
ugh, no you haven't champ, the urbanization of 2 billion people in India and China did, not your apps and taxbreaks

Puce Moment

There are so few of them and so many of us. Wish we could simply kill them all and take their money to be redistributed.

Just an idea.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Puce Moment on June 24, 2020, 03:44:55 PM
There are so few of them and so many of us. Wish we could simply kill them all and take their money to be redistributed.

Just an idea.
been saying this for years!

Brundle-Fly

Just an idea.

Good luck with that.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The closing of ranks post-Corbyn should be enough to confirm that what happened to Labour was a glitch in the system that had to be corrected, and will now never be allowed again while they draw breath. They simply got so cocky they thought they could put up some left wing sop that didn't stand a chance.
Labour will again become an an entity that is simply used to filter, mollify then obviate all transformational left wing politics that exceed bland tinkering with the existing system.

The supposed racists and dumbos that voted Brexit have realised this already but apparently not the soft left. Time to get real.

And that's just the UK.

Puce Moment

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

There's a widely held belief in Ireland that the Great Famine of 1845 was a genocide. This belief is not based on some conspiracy theory that the British deliberately infected the potato crop with blight, but on the British government's slow and utterly inadequate response to the crisis, and the fact that food was still being produced in Ireland, it was just being exported overseas instead of being used to feed the starving population.

I disagree that it was a genocide, and for the following reason: The food being produced in Ireland was not the British government's property to redistribute. It was produced on farms owned by private, mostly absentee landlords. And the British government did not want to disrupt this shiny new economic system called laissez-faire, also known as unregulated capitalism. Given the damage that capitalism has wrought on the planet, labour laws, and human rights, it disturbs me that this aspect of an appalling agricultural disaster which had such a huge effect on the population and psyche of a nation is played down in favour of "the fucking Brits tried to wipe us all out".

Paul Calf

Just an idea.

QuoteThe world is run by one million evil men, ten million stupid men, and a hundred million cowards. There are only one million of them, the truly evil men, in the whole world. The very rich and the very powerful, whose decisions really count—they only number one million. The stupid men, who number ten million, are the soldiers and policemen who enforce the rule of the evil men. They are the standing armies of twelve key countries, and the police forces of those and twenty more. In total, there are only ten million of them with any real power or consequence. They are often brave, I'm sure, but they are stupid, too, because they give their lives for governments and causes that use their flesh and blood as mere chess pieces.

It's not just the rich cunts. It's all the little Diddymen who've attached themselves to their arse-hairs.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 24, 2020, 11:54:17 PM
There's a widely held belief in Ireland that the Great Famine of 1845 was a genocide. This belief is not based on some conspiracy theory that the British deliberately infected the potato crop with blight, but on the British government's slow and utterly inadequate response to the crisis, and the fact that food was still being produced in Ireland, it was just being exported overseas instead of being used to feed the starving population.

I disagree that it was a genocide, and for the following reason: The food being produced in Ireland was not the British government's property to redistribute. It was produced on farms owned by private, mostly absentee landlords. And the British government did not want to disrupt this shiny new economic system called laissez-faire, also known as unregulated capitalism. Given the damage that capitalism has wrought on the planet, labour laws, and human rights, it disturbs me that this aspect of an appalling agricultural disaster which had such a huge effect on the population and psyche of a nation is played down in favour of "the fucking Brits tried to wipe us all out".

That's still a genocide

Paul Calf

I thought that, but I think the point is that the food was produced by private companies and exported for profit and the British didn't stop them from doing it.

It is a genocide but the conspiracy theories about deliberately-introduced potato blight that have sprung up in its wake have obscured the medium that justified and perpetuated it, which is unregulated hyper-capitalism.

EDIT: clarification.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: bgmnts on June 24, 2020, 02:51:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paaen3b44XY

Fuck the rich.

That is all.

Haha! I remember this and the feathers it ruffled. Bregman upset Tucker Carlson too in a subsequent interview on the subject of his attendance at Davos.

Kudos to Winnie Byanyima for the FUCKDOWN she launched at that Yahoo! cunt too.

Buelligan

Quote from: Paul Calf on June 25, 2020, 10:01:23 AM
I thought that, but I think the point is that the food was produced by private companies and exported for profit and the British didn't stop them from doing it.

It is a genocide but the conspiracy theories about deliberately-introduced potato blight that have sprung up in its wake have obscured the medium that justified and perpetuated it, which is unregulated hyper-capitalism.

EDIT: clarification.

The British government at the time believed in laissez-faire, they believed strongly that the Market should not be interfered with and it was not the business of government to provide food or to conduct agriculture but merely to ensure an open and unfettered market.  There were also many good Christians among them who thought that Providence (or God, for short) was teaching the Irish people a lesson, for their indolence, for their free production of children.  Teaching a lesson and providing a solution. 

We're lucky that we've learned that lesson and nothing like that could happen now.

Paul Calf

Puce Moment

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 24, 2020, 11:54:17 PMI disagree that it was a genocide, and for the following reason:

Mate, sort your shit out.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 25, 2020, 08:15:15 AM
That's still a genocide
I understand what you mean. The Famine certainly hastened the decline of the Irish language, not only because a quarter of the population either died or emigrated, but because it furthered the association of Irish with poverty and barbarism. I still disagree. Although there were individual commentators who said stupid shit like "well maybe this'll teach poor people to vary their diet a bit", the British government's response wasn't "Ah let them all die, who cares". It was instead a bunch of handwringing, "oh what can we do, beholden to and restricted by this new economic system? I know, we'll buy corn from overseas and we'll set up public works programmes so they can earn money to buy the corn." This response was woefully inadequate and charities ended up trying to plug the gaps. But it wasn't, in my opinion, rooted in malice. What happened was far more insidious, and we're stuck with that same economic system. And the same beliefs! "You can't just give people food and money." "Private industry is sacrosanct." "Poor people are responsible for their own poverty." Framing it as "the rich evil landgrabbing Brits set out to starve us all" ignores that element.

Buelligan

I think I understand what you're saying, that capitalism, rather than racism, was the engine of the genocide.  But it was genocide.  And, IMO, call it capitalism, racism, religious bigotry, sadism or cuntitude, it was knowingly allowed by the British government.

A bit like the Highland Clearances, they didn't want or need the workforce, they didn't want or need the people on the land, they wanted them gone and didn't care how.

bgmnts

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 25, 2020, 01:34:39 PM
I understand what you mean. The Famine certainly hastened the decline of the Irish language.

Still had people like this going strong, and I think this was from the late 00s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP4nXlKJx_4