Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:03:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

[Tetchy] Techy Threads

Started by Saturday Boy, May 15, 2005, 04:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saturday Boy

Maybe this deserves to be in one of those "petty but irritating things" threads, but why all the fucking tech threads on GD these days?

There's a Sticky up at the top, and it's there for a reason.

Anyone saying "It'll be lost in there" is terribly mistaken. Every time I've asked for help the kindly nerds have been super-quick sorting me out, and I've been very grateful. In fact the techy sorts are drawn to those threads and the replies for my dull computer issues are a lot quicker than they used to be.

Not using the Techy thread screams of "my technical problems are so much more important than anyone elses", it's mildly pissing off to read them.

It also serves as an archive of common computer worries, which you can Search by Topic when something fucks up round your end.

If it's too long, that's for the mods to decide, to lock (so we can bookmark it) and (hopefully) create another, equally useful thread.

Paul Dee

God, put this in the bloody techy thread.

<some sort of hilarious emoticon to denote playful banter>

Labian Quest

Slightly off topic here, but why are the people on these forums so vehemently opposed to people starting new threads? Presumably your idea of a perfect forum would involve just one thread about everything?

Saturday Boy

Quote from: "Labian Quest"Slightly off topic here, but why are the people on these forums so vehemently opposed to people starting new threads?

Because it stifles conversation and other less-posted to threads.

That [Football] thread could be 50 threads for a season, plus all the interesting side bits about racism and scandal. The [Techy] one could be a hundred seperate threads.

If they were split up like that, hanging around the board, then it'd be impossible to stretch your legs in here.

Labian Quest

Quote from: "Saturday Boy"
Quote from: "Labian Quest"Slightly off topic here, but why are the people on these forums so vehemently opposed to people starting new threads?

That [Football] thread could be 50 threads for a season.

Shit, I hadn't thought of that, great idea! keep up the good work.

Adrian Brezhnev

Quote from: "Labian Quest"Presumably your idea of a perfect forum would involve just one thread about everything?
I'd imagine that's the way Stephen Hawking would want it....

wheatgod

id not noticed "all these techy threads" i have to say
having centralised threads for popular topics e.g. films, games, football etc makes it easier to find somewhere relevant to make a post, somewhere relevant to read multiple posts on the same topic (and tangents) etc
its all about ease and relevance, really

Space ghost

There's a Sticky up at the top, and it's there for a reason.

Anyone saying "It'll be lost in there" is terribly mistaken. .

You.......you cant just say that!

Saturday Boy

Quote from: "wheatgod"id not noticed "all these techy threads" i have to say

Well, to be honest, there was only the two. I was egging it up a bit. But I thought best nip it in the bud, like.

Bernard

Quote from: "Saturday Boy"words then ended his sentence with, like.

Please stop that.

fanny splendid

LadyDay

Of course there is an argument that it's not actually wrong to end a sentence with a preposition as English is descended from a German dialect, not from Latin, and therefore some of the rules of Latin grammar which were forced on us by pedants (who considered English to be inferior to Latin) don't quite fit the structure of the English language, like.

Yes, I am bored...

Utter Shit

I think this thread is a bit of moaning gittishness, created for no reason other than the attempt at humour in the title. This place is hardly overrun, and the traffic isn't such that posting a new thread which may possibly have been better placed in an existing thread is going to cause any problems.

Rats

Yeah, I see it as the stickies being there for the regulars, they know where to go, if the odd person forgets or doesn't know, it isn't going to make much a difference. I mean general bullshit has people talking about all sorts of things, where would you draw the line. You could have catch all threads for loads of subjects.

Utter Shit

I'd also put forward the opinion that it's slightly hypocritical for someone to moan about clutter, when they have 500-odd posts in barely a month, none particularly memorable. Pongs somewhat of someone trying to make a name for themselves.

Saturday Boy

Quote from: "Utter Shit"I think this thread is a bit of moaning gittishness, created for no reason other than the attempt at humour in the title.

The successful attempt at humour, please.

Like Rats says, its when people who should know better, (i.e. regular regulars and people who've just rightly been given the smackdown for perpetuating a 25 page thread of self-indulgence) dick around that I get narked off.

Starting your own Techy thread isn't like accidentally starting a Footy thread for the relegation battle that's just been, though the outcome would be the same.

It's making a statement that you think your problems are so damn important, more important than everyone else who respectfully sticks to the stickies, that you deserve the attention of your own personal thread.

Like I said, maybe I should've done search for the "minor irritants" thread, but then again, maybe I wanted the attention of everyone looking at me and reading my post?

Saturday Boy

Quote from: "Utter Shit"I'd also put forward the opinion that it's slightly hypocritical for someone to moan about clutter, when they have 500-odd posts in barely a month, none particularly memorable. Pongs somewhat of someone trying to make a name for themselves.

*giggles*

I've got plenty of names for myself, thankyouverymuch.

Utter Shit

Like I said, maybe I should've done search for the "minor irritants" thread, but then again, maybe I wanted the attention of everyone looking at me and reading my post?

I'd say that's what it all boils down to, probably.

Quote from: "Saturday Boy"It's making a statement that you think your problems are so damn important, more important than everyone else who respectfully sticks to the stickies, that you deserve the attention of your own personal thread.

That's exactly what you've just done.

Saturday Boy

Quote from: "Utter Shit"

Well, duh.

Rats

Ferret! Ferret! Ferre- I mean fight! Fight! Fight!

Utter Shit

Well, duh.
Easy to claim irony in hindsight, isn't it.

Ballacks to it.

Felled Weeble Lawsuit

Can we make this a sticky?

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Saturday Boy"*giggles*

I've got plenty of names for myself, thankyouverymuch.
Indeed; I was just about to say that if we have to have a thread where we get all tetchy about people's posting habits, how about one where we wonder why an otherwise perfectly wonderful poster feels the need to go under no less than four different names (at the last count)?!

Saturday Boy

Easy to claim irony in hindsight, isn't it.

Oh dear, you're not very smart, are you?

I'd quit while you're only slightly behind if I were you.

Utter Shit

Oh dear, you're not very smart, are you?

I'd quit while you're only slightly behind if I were you.
I'm not only very smart, I'm also highly beautiful. I'd quit before I steal your girlfriend and mother if I were you. And also your father, if the mood takes me.

Saturday Boy

There's you beat, I don't even have a girlfriend!

Utter Shit

When you get one, let me know. Then I'll come and steal her.

Then once I've finished with her, I'll come to your house dressed as Shang Tsung and devour your soul.

Flawless plan.

wheatgod

Woah, Saturday Boy.
You've come over as a right tit, sort it out.

Saturday Boy

Quote from: "wheatgod"Woah, Saturday Boy.
You've come over as a right tit, sort it out.

wheaty, it's okay, I'm not bothered, but thank you anyway.

wheatgod