Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:01:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Records that need to be reissued

Started by Gregory Torso, June 25, 2020, 10:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Torso

We all love a deluxe vinyl reissue of things released on tape or CD or wool spool caught in a barbed wire fence in the mid 90s don't we. Liner notes, diary from band member, unearthed archival footage of someone looking at a bit of paper. Lord Lionel Heart Ritchies expired vouchers for the Lions At Longleat loving reprinted and stapled through the heart of a butterfly

Personally, I would love, love, and would buy the absolute tits off, reissues of a lot of Japanese noise/pysche from the early 90s:

Angel'in Heavy Syrup's four albums (only relased on CD and even now ridiculously expensive) need to be allowed out again in all their loud finery:

Shizuka's sad as fuck decade slow suicide note must be given life again in a heavy circular formation, perhaps coloured in.

Those early Boredoms albums can get on a reaosnably priced disc of "vin-yill" like Rick Stein on a tadpole kebab as well u motherfuckers:

Ground Zero
need a full thousand mile island dressing up, and all crumbling, scratched compact phil collins coasters removed from the world and reinserted as the lovely sweetest kind of powdered Neskwik manna flava ladled by an angel on the permanent cusp of holy orgasm into the mouth of a giant hurculean baby with a soul patch, look its fine for Cardi B to keep going about the magic commands that issue from her pussy, I can roll with that, I can hold it tight and cherish it, but someone please pay attention and re-release the fuck up some great lost music before it turns to dust forever[nb] instead of shite like Pavement or the Smashing Pumpkins getting yet another overhaul or the definitive Frog Song box set[/nb]

^lookit this tiny fukn crotch circle no good

I want someone on this like a sexualised Chief Brody, ladling chum down his crotch, brown liquor in his heart, making love to Jaws the shark, as Quint screams "what the fuck are you DOIN" from his hardbody bunk bed double amputee dirty pants and cat piss pullover ''pulling on a handle of cum shandy''

Time for Merzbow, Violent Onsen Geisha and the Gerogerigegege, and all those other frothing, shit fountain in-line daddy-or-chips feedback fuckerers to get their obscenely rare and expensive 7"s rolling once more through the blanched avenues of collector scum, put those gouging pricks on ebay in a can and solder it up.

Radboud Mens needs a permanent slot on Lincs FM in between the weekly shit-bale heave-ho report and the four-hour Midge Ure "if i was a soldier" assisted murder/lambing loop

What records need the full frontal body politic reissue treatment? What lovely wax could make you whole again? [nb]absolutely exhausted making this post and threw up twice with the effort[/nb]

Absorb the anus burn

Would love to get a copy of this...

Without paying £277 on Discogs. Progressive electronic music with a Scandinavian bent (you can almost smell the pine needles and taste the Smultronstället).

SteveDave

The best record Frank Zappa every had anything to do with.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Gregory Torso on June 25, 2020, 10:36:12 AM
Those early Boredoms albums can get on a reaosnably priced disc of "vin-yill" like Rick Stein on a tadpole kebab as well u motherfuckers:

I'd love to get a copy of the version of this I downloaded years back, which had a completely different track order, building up to the two utterly incredible epics 'Cheeba' and 'Cory and the Mandara Suicide Pyramid Action or Gas Satori', which blew me away on first listen and will always be my favourite Boredoms tracks. I think that may have been the Reprise release, so I suppose it's a compromised version for the US market, but the album works much better that way. 'Cory...' is such a definitive closing track. The "Brush my one, brush my two...BRUSH MY CURRY!" section* followed by that monolithic riff is so jaw-droppingly awesome (even after many, many listens) anything that follows would be an anticlimax. The CD I eventually got has a few tracks after 'Cory...', one of which is mostly silence with some white noise after a few minutes, so I mainly play the preferred version from MP3 files.

Hmm, it's a lovely sunny day outside. Perfect weather for blasting out 'Cheeba'. Thanks for the reminder.

*I may have been mishearing the words all these years, doesn't stop it being in my all time top 10 awe-inspiring moments in music history.

Sebastian Cobb

There's actually a repress waiting list for this with the guy at haggis records.

Dr Syntax Head

kngen

I'd quite like to have a properly mastered version of Husker Du's Warehouse: Songs and Stories that hasn't been EQ'ed into oblivion by adhering to Bob Mould's Big Manual on How to Achieve the Ultimate in Mid-Frequency Obnoxiousness.

Sebastian Cobb

A well mastered version of The Cure's Disintegration would be nice. The CD I had sounded like a muddy mess and so did the ~2010's 'remaster' on vinyl I bought that was supposedly overseen by Rob himself.

holyzombiejesus

The first Fairport Convention album. In fact, some decent souped up versions of the first 5 albums. Remastered LP + demos LP + live/ sessions LP, in a box with a book. Actually, I don't think they really need anything extra as they're just so great but really want to see more photos from the unhalfbricking shoot.

holyzombiejesus

Would also like a repress of Neil Young's Weld.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: kngen on June 27, 2020, 12:51:13 AM
I'd quite like to have a properly mastered version of Husker Du's Warehouse: Songs and Stories that hasn't been EQ'ed into oblivion by adhering to Bob Mould's Big Manual on How to Achieve the Ultimate in Mid-Frequency Obnoxiousness.
Fuck yes. That's the worst mastered great album maybe ever.

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 27, 2020, 03:00:58 PM
Fuck yes. That's the worst mastered great album maybe ever.

Along with... oh, pretty much every other Hüsker Dü album ever. It's almost impressive, how each of them are sonically deficient in their own unique way.

Absorb the anus burn

This please, remastered on vinyl...

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 27, 2020, 01:48:12 AM
The first Fairport Convention album. In fact, some decent souped up versions of the first 5 albums. Remastered LP + demos LP + live/ sessions LP, in a box with a book. Actually, I don't think they really need anything extra as they're just so great but really want to see more photos from the unhalfbricking shoot.

Seconded.

On the subject of remastering and bonus tracks, is there any compelling reason why Stevie Wonder's 1970s albums haven't got the luxury re-release treatment? There must be plenty of unheard gems and alternate takes, and he hasn't released an album of original songs since 2005.

Phil_A

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on June 27, 2020, 07:17:14 PM
Seconded.

On the subject of remastering and bonus tracks, is there any compelling reason why Stevie Wonder's 1970s albums haven't got the luxury re-release treatment? There must be plenty of unheard gems and alternate takes, and he hasn't released an album of original songs since 2005.

From what I've gathered, it seems Stevie has a very tight control over his releases and doesn't want any outtake material seeing the light of day. There's even a rumour that he has it in his contract that upon his death, any unreleased archival material is to be destroyed!

I really hope that isn't actually the case, and if it is, some enterprising Max Brod figure "forgets" to bin the recordings. There is apparently a lot of unreleased material from his golden period gathering dust in the vaults.

BlodwynPig

Ozric Tentacles' Become the Other is coming soon, first time on vinyl (yellow as well).

Collection complete.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on June 25, 2020, 10:41:41 AM
Would love to get a copy of this...

Without paying £277 on Discogs. Progressive electronic music with a Scandinavian bent (you can almost smell the pine needles and taste the Smultronstället).

That 2nd track - Ankomster Utanför Tiden - is a cross between Global Communication, Harmonia and Stratosfear era Tangerine Dream. It's in my music library but I don't think I've listened to it until now. Thank you

NoSleep

Would love to see The Box get their back catalogue reissued. Essentially they were Clock DVA (the first version of the band that appeared on the album Thirst), minus lead singer Adi Newton.

Just looked on YouTube and there's only a couple of poor rips of their album Secrets Out (one of them sounds like only one channel of the stereo and the other is just poorly done).

The Culture Bunker

Years ago, someone made me a copy of It's Immaterial's wonderful Blue Nile-esque second album 'Song', but it got lost during a house move. Would love a proper reissue of that out there.

kngen

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on June 27, 2020, 05:31:59 PM
Along with... oh, pretty much every other Hüsker Dü album ever. It's almost impressive, how each of them are sonically deficient in their own unique way.

Having heard enough Husker Du live material (and been subjected to Bob Mould's wince-inducing guitar tone in person a few times), I honestly believe he's got some kind of condition that makes him hear sound frequencies in a different manner to the rest of us. Either that, or he just hates other people's ears.

Given that they are pretty much my favourite band, it's a wee bit annoying.

Sebastian Cobb

A non-tinny copy of Born In the USA would be nice as well.

Actually I've only heard the CD version, but it's eq-ed in a really weedy way. There's no grunt to it.

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 27, 2020, 08:16:38 PM
That 2nd track - Ankomster Utanför Tiden - is a cross between Global Communication, Harmonia and Stratosfear era Tangerine Dream. It's in my music library but I don't think I've listened to it until now. Thank you

Absolute bliss. The looped whispering and the gurgling synth lines create a unique atmosphere.... The whole LP is sublime.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Phil_A on June 27, 2020, 07:59:24 PM
From what I've gathered, it seems Stevie has a very tight control over his releases and doesn't want any outtake material seeing the light of day. There's even a rumour that he has it in his contract that upon his death, any unreleased archival material is to be destroyed!
Depressing if true. The second part is an awful prospect, but it would go with the first, otherwise why would he want outtakes to appear only after his death when he can't control the quality? But I hope it's more of a case that he keeps putting it off because he's happy and healthy and doesn't need the extra work now.

Gregory Torso

I hope I am right here, but I want to give massive props to Sin Agog for introducing me to Trabant, a band with one seven inch listed on discogs but with a clearly expansive and transcendent catalogue of demo songs that no one has heard

Sokan várnak a csodára
Tudod, hogy soha
Vetö J. Ez a ház is ledőlhet

what can you do? nothing. wait and have faith there are people with drive and money and desire who might some day give this the publicity it should have. someone get on a Trabant restoration/late recognition

Trabant, triple vinyl, reasonable price, something else good in the world.

SpiderChrist

Be nice if the Microdisney and Fatima Mansions stuff could be reissued. Especially Lost In The Former West.

magval

Three Feet High and Rising looks to be out of print. Should be able to get that for £3 on eBay or at least leave HMV with a copy. Nothing.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: magval on June 28, 2020, 01:32:17 PM
Three Feet High and Rising looks to be out of print. Should be able to get that for £3 on eBay or at least leave HMV with a copy. Nothing.

All of De La Soul's early stuff. It went out of print physically ages ago, it looks like it'll never be reissued or released digitally for sample clearance reasons.

https://www.okayplayer.com/music/breakdown-de-la-soul-fight-tommy-boy-records-3-feet-high-rising.html/amp

I think it's a real shame. HipHop seems slightly unusual that even young fans seem to look backwards at the history of it. These people won't have CD players and plenty of millenials/genx'rs don't feel a need to keep their discs now so that's no use. A landmark LP like that deserves to be preserved like something in a museum.

Sebastian Cobb

I had a listen to that Husker Du record. I think it gave me a headache.

I wonder if it sounds better on a really shit boom box that can't do much treble and had no bass to begin with.

NoSleep

De La Soul released all their old sample-heavy albums for free a few years back, all that was exchanged was an email address so the band could contact their fan-base. Mp3 only, but many people grabbed them, so it shouldn't be too hard to find them now.
Maybe if you look around on places like SoulSeek you might even find decent vinyl rips.

holyzombiejesus

Any idea why there haven't been any reissues of Virginia Astley's stuff?