Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:04:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Monty Python Labour campaign video 1970

Started by ajsmith2, June 25, 2020, 11:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajsmith2

https://youtu.be/6do95qglvvw

Dunno how well known this was to MP fans, but it was new to me. Idle's absence is very noticeable. (Gilliams less so as a usually non performing American). I'm not an expert on Cleese's politics at all,  but I always (perhaps completely inaccurately) assumed he veered right, so was a small surprise for me to see him the most prominently involved here.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Harry Badger on June 25, 2020, 12:05:40 PM
Labour, then SDP, then Lib Dems.

And now a wealthy old man moaning about too much immigration..

Brundle-Fly

the

Quote from: ajsmith2 on June 25, 2020, 11:49:21 AMhttps://youtu.be/6do95qglvvw

Dunno how well known this was to MP fans, but it was new to me. Idle's absence is very noticeable. (Gilliams less so as a usually non performing American). I'm not an expert on Cleese's politics at all,  but I always (perhaps completely inaccurately) assumed he veered right, so was a small surprise for me to see him the most prominently involved here.

FYI there was a bit of discussion about this last month, from this post onwards.

May as well repost this here, this was from Palin's diary on the day it was filmed:

Quote from: The Michael Palin Diaries 1969-1979, page 25Tuesday April 21st [1970]

An interesting and hard-worked morning giving my voluntary performing services for the Labour Party. Easily the most decisive political act of my life, and almost the only one - though previously I had once voted Labour in the GLC elections. I suppose voting for and supporting Labour is just another painless way of appeasing my social conscience. But it's not much, I cannot see how anyone with a social conscience could vote Conservative. The film which I was doing today had been written by John Cleese, who is now what you might call a committed Labour celebrity - and I mean that in a good sense - somebody who is prepared to do something to keep the Conservatives out. At present Labour is increasingly successful in the polls. Two opinion polls out this week actually gave Labour a lead over the Tories for the first time for three years and, in the GLC elections last week, Labour won thirteen seats, their biggest electoral success since they came to power.

Revelator

Quote from: Harry Badger on June 25, 2020, 12:05:40 PMLabour, then SDP, then Lib Dems.

That's right. In 2018 he wrote "I remain a Lib Dem, but hope they will be part of a leftish coalition that throws the Tories out for a generation."
(https://twitter.com/JohnCleese/status/970329210320498689)

dothestrand

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on June 25, 2020, 12:09:40 PM
And now a wealthy old man moaning about too much immigration..

Whilst living in the Caribbean.

bgmnts

Four middle class Oxbridge lads were left wing labout voters in the 70s. Madness.

Would that ever happen now?