Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:22:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked [split topic]

Started by bgmnts, June 25, 2020, 03:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

I wish people would would realise that scrapping your membership should be saved for something that really, really matters - a policy we cannot possibly support - rather than an article some cunt MP writes or an unwarranted sacking. We are throwing away a chance to impact a decision that actually makes a difference to people's lives. This RLB incident matters on a inter-party level and is emblematic of a deeper rot, but it is not the hill on which we should burn our membership cards.   

Buelligan

On the other hand, 26% of members wanted her as leader.  That's quite significant.

idunnosomename

Blimey! Lucky for her she didn't share an article from the guardian!!!!

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Buelligan on June 25, 2020, 04:44:05 PM
Being honest, if Starmer was PM now, it'd be better.  But not a real win.  I'd be like the US having Obama.  Something better but still dancing the old dance.  Is that worth waiting for?  Is there time to wait?

I think that's a fair comparison; I was hoping Starmer might stick closer to Corbyn's policies, but early signs aren't that encouraging; that said I imagine he would be an OK and acceptable PM, and it's impossible to imagine him being anywhere near as bad as the competition.

Buelligan

I think if the world was normal, it'd probably be OK.  But it isn't normal at all.  I don't think we have the time left to waste on same old placeholder bullshit like Starmer.  That's the truth.

idunnosomename

God im so pissed off about this. One fucking line in an independent article you shared gets you fired. Mental

Buelligan

One fucking line that isn't antisemitic.  That's the horror of it.  If she'd shared something evil, fair fucks, but that's not what happened. 

When truth and lies start changing places, that's when you need to stand up for truth.

NoSleep

Quote from: Kelvin on June 25, 2020, 04:50:24 PM
I wish people would would realise that scrapping your membership should be saved for something that really, really matters - a policy we cannot possibly support - rather than an article some cunt MP writes or an unwarranted sacking. We are throwing away a chance to impact a decision that actually makes a difference to people's lives. This RLB incident matters on a inter-party level and is emblematic of a deeper rot, but it is not the hill on which we should burn our membership cards.

It's another little nudge away, another indication of Smarmer's absolute obedience to the establishment.

But, as that tweet that pancreas shared earlier indicates, there could be a challenge to the current leadership. And there's the NEC elections.

I can understand people getting tired of this, though. I think I'll wait and see what happens in the NEC elections but if that goes tits up, I'm out; I'm not paying subs to keep Llarmer as leader. From there I would seriously consider rejoining if there's a challenge to his leadership from the left.

Thursday

Stamer made this decision knowing it would be the breaking point for a lot of people.

So I say, fine then, try and win without us.

NoSleep

A little bit more patience before you give him what he's craving.

chveik

Ferris

Just saw this. What the fuck.

Will preemptively mute the family whatsapp!

jobotic

Apparently the Campaign Group of left Labour MPs requested a meeting with Starmer , which was declined.

They need to learn to back Cummings and shut up.

NoSleep

Quote from: chveik on June 25, 2020, 05:07:44 PM
he's craving to lose money?

He craves the membership who joined under Corbyn to jack it in. It'll be job done. Worth more than our subs to have a more centre right consensus and a more powerful (i.e. less democratic) PLP, like Blair engineered. That's why the NEC election is important; to maintain (and extend) the power of the membership.

Goldentony

Quote from: Kelvin on June 25, 2020, 04:50:24 PM

Starmer's made it clear where he stands, the Labour party isn't the vessel for change certainly I believed it was, and as mentioned this was probably done to ditch whoever they see as inessential ghosts from December. This stupid dickhead deserves the waves of shit he's getting because he's a fucking useless, useless cunt.

bgmnts

Yeah you'd have to assume most people are centre and some degree of centre left and centre right and it'd be good for Starmer to consolidate all that centrist beige mix into one vat.

Probably why the Liberal Democrats still exist despite betraying their core principles almost instantly after becoming Tory subs.

I will say i'm amazed that people here even hung on after the moment Corbyn was ousted in one of the most incredible smear campaigns from all sides i've ever witnessed in politics. You have much more hope than I.

GoblinAhFuckScary

I cancelled my direct debit last month after five years of paid membership.

Disappointment doesn't begin to cover it.

NoSleep

I do wonder how many have already left the party. The membership figure on the Labour Wiki (580,000) hasn't been updated since January.

notjosh

Quote from: colacentral on June 25, 2020, 04:10:53 PM
He didn't sack her to nip anti-semitism in the bud

I was suggesting he did it to shut down the story in the right wing press, rather than because of any actual anti-semitism. As unfair as it is on Long-Bailey, that talking point has to be de-weaponised, and it may have been a reluctant but pragmatic decision.

Quote from: colacentral on June 25, 2020, 04:10:53 PM
he sacked her because he and the luke akehurst cunt mob don't like her.

Or could have been that, for sure. There are also a couple of digs at Starmer in the article which may have influenced it - though I hadn't quite thought of him as the petty type.

NoSleep

Quote from: bgmnts on June 25, 2020, 05:16:14 PM
Yeah you'd have to assume most people are centre and some degree of centre left and centre right and it'd be good for Starmer to consolidate all that centrist beige mix into one vat.

Probably why the Liberal Democrats still exist despite betraying their core principles almost instantly after becoming Tory subs.

I will say i'm amazed that people here even hung on after the moment Corbyn was ousted in one of the most incredible smear campaigns from all sides i've ever witnessed in politics. You have much more hope than I.

The smear campaign was the establishment showing its true face (and its fear). Unfortunately many idiots capitulated by voting for Starmer instead of realising it would always be a hard fight to effect real change in UK politics. If Corbyn or a similar figure led a government the shit would then have truly started. That's why this lame leadership "compromise" is so disappointing, as it represents the destruction of the possibility for real change and without putting up a fight.

Kelvin

Quote from: Goldentony on June 25, 2020, 05:14:34 PM
Starmer's made it clear where he stands, the Labour party isn't the vessel for change certainly I believed it was, and as mentioned this was probably done to ditch whoever they see as inessential ghosts from December. This stupid dickhead deserves the waves of shit he's getting because he's a fucking useless, useless cunt.

I agree with every word of that. He is worse than useless. I just don't think this is the moment to leave the party. That may come in the next year, but I think it should be over an actual policy position, not over internal politics.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

That's something a mollusc could claim.

NoSleep

Buelligan

Quote from: Ronan Burtenshaw on twitterWe are days away from Israel annexing the West Bank – one of the most significant breaches of international law this century.

And what is the 'human rights lawyer' who leads the Labour Party doing? Defending the people who enforce the occupation.

That's who Keir Starmer is.

https://twitter.com/ronanburtenshaw/status/1276178530771091458

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 25, 2020, 05:26:24 PM
That's something a mollusc could claim.

Watch it, I didn't say he's better than a mollusc.

bgmnts

This thread isn't specifically about Israel but are there large Jewish Anti-Zionist groups out there?

jsgibble

It doesn't feel good having no one to vote for, but it looks like that's the way it is at the moment.

Quote from: bgmnts on June 25, 2020, 05:32:42 PM
This thread isn't specifically about Israel but are there large Jewish Anti-Zionist groups out there?

There are in the US at least.