Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:27:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked [split topic]

Started by bgmnts, June 25, 2020, 03:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

Has anybody even suggested defunding the British police? Isn't it specifically intended to address the US police being given funding for all sorts of shit that shouldn't really be in their purview?

Crisps?

Quote from: thugler on June 29, 2020, 10:49:58 AM
Leaving is completely pointless as we are not going to get the change to the electoral system that would allow for an alternative left wing party (I've long said I would favor this happening if we had proportional representation).

The only way we'll ever get PR is another party denying Labour a straight win under FPTP. Otherwise there remains nothing in it for them to change, since they're content with a few pointless years mopping up after the Tories every two decades.

chveik

Quote from: olliebean on June 29, 2020, 07:36:46 PM
Has anybody even suggested defunding the British police?

nope. but Starmer could've done the explaining. that's his role after all. instead he chose to shit on BLM.

Zetetic

We literally have police called into mental health units because of understaffing, and within the last decade six Met officers choked a black man to death in a hospital under circumstances that led to England imposing new laws around the documentation of "restraint".

Even if you want to side-step "defunding", there's probably enough to talk about in terms of having the right people to do the right jobs.

jobotic

Putting morality aside (as centrists are happy to), with the way BLM has engaged young people this is idiotic - the Labour Party isn't for you, come back to us when you've become grown ups, like us.

Goldentony

this is how the cast of this life and the trigger happy tv guy become the next generation of mysterious cotswolds tories nobody ever sees

pancreas

Buelligan

BTW, can anyone else think of an ambitious female politician with an overly-active love of shoes and a penchant for dipping below the waves whenever the storms of controversy passed?  Hmm?

pancreas

tbf even she wouldn't wear those star wars things, though I could certainly imagine her complaining about shoes on Commons letterhead.

This is Starmer's Labour: Worse than the Tories © MMXX.

Buelligan

Horrible, isn't it?  Looking through a nasty wormhole into the future and seeing how same and yet, somehow, worse, it is.

ETA - following your edit, it seems we are definitely staring down two very similar barrels.

pancreas

Yes and the wormhole leads straight up Cameron's arse and back out again into the gaping maw of a dead pig's head.

Buelligan

pancreas

Armin Meiwes

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 29, 2020, 06:37:39 PM
Which I then acknowledged was a misremembering of him being 20 points ahead of Johnson in February. He's lost a huge amount of ground against the worst PM we've had in living memory.

You sure? I mean he wasn't even leader in February?

Armin Meiwes

But yeah whilst I think there's better way to talk about police funding I'm not defending his negativity towards BLM in general.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on June 29, 2020, 09:19:05 PM
Horrible, isn't it?  Looking through a nasty wormhole into the future and seeing how same and yet, somehow, worse, it is.

ETA - following your edit, it seems we are definitely staring down two very similar barrels.

I quite imagine those wormholes being Rayner's eyes as she stares into the mirror every night.

The Gobby Ladies of Labour sure were a 1 hit wonder.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 29, 2020, 11:23:17 PM
https://dorseteye.com/formal-complaints-of-antisemitism-lodged-against-six-labour-mps/

Ace!

If they don't start to actually fight back about this now it will never fucking end, time to call this out now, enough is enough.

Barry Admin

Yeah that's excellent. The mention of "social media guru David Schneider" did make me wonder what Iannucci made of this recent bollocks. Think I'll try and remain purposely ignorant there tho tbh.

BlodwynPig

They should be immediately suspended pending an enquiry.

SUSPEND STARMER

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Armin Meiwes on June 29, 2020, 09:27:15 PM
You sure? I mean he wasn't even leader in February?

Heh! You're right. It feels like he's been leader for so much longer than he actually has. It was actually only late May when he was 24 points ahead of Johnson:

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/opinium-ratings-on-keir-starmer-and-boris-johnson-1-6668341

BlodwynPig

what is the point of this obsessive polling. Polling polling polling. Constant polling.

Buelligan

Well, I suppose if ones only claim to authority is electability, polling is relevant.  Though what he's going to do for the next five years, apart from making antisemitic remarks, undermining BLM and sacking one of the authors of Labour's Green initiative (have you seen the polling for the Greens in Europe), is unclear.  Perhaps he can do something to sort out Imelda's shoe situation.  Or a press-up competition, that's a kind of polling.

Armin Meiwes

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 30, 2020, 08:52:48 AM
Heh! You're right. It feels like he's been leader for so much longer than he actually has. It was actually only late May when he was 24 points ahead of Johnson:

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/opinium-ratings-on-keir-starmer-and-boris-johnson-1-6668341

That's two different things - there's "net approval ratings", his are currently +27% compared to Johnson's "slightly negative" (doesn't say exactly what they are and I can't be arsed to Google it), so it's gone up to about 30% ahead.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/sir-keir-starmer-better-boris-johnson-prime-minister-poll-a4482151.html

The poll where he's only a few % ahead is "who would make the best prime minister" and as far as I know this latest poll is the first time he's gone ahead of Johnson.

Mr_Simnock

QuoteThe poll where he's only a few % ahead is "who would make the best prime minister" and as far as I know this latest poll is the first time he's gone ahead of Johnson.

I don't think Corbs got even a wiff of that kind of polling result, if someone can find that's not the case though be good to see that.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 30, 2020, 05:04:35 AM
Yeah that's excellent. The mention of "social media guru David Schneider" did make me wonder what Iannucci made of this recent bollocks. Think I'll try and remain purposely ignorant there tho tbh.
His assessment of the election last December when the exit poll came out was "Corbyn must go and take ALL the antisemites with him. Toxic and unforgivable". Iirc he doubled down on it the next day.

Based on what I've seen David Schneider seems way more capable of nuanced thought on this stuff than Iannucci.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: peanutbutter on June 30, 2020, 11:21:58 AM
His assessment of the election last December when the exit poll came out was "Corbyn must go and take ALL the antisemites with him. Toxic and unforgivable". Iirc he doubled down on it the next day.

Iannucci in fact declined to endorse Labour at all in the last election and instead decided to throw all of his weight behind the abstract concept of "tactical voting", carefully interpreted so as to exclusively place the onus on Labour to cede seats to the Lib Dems and never, of course, the other way round. This strategy proved to be a very handy get-out clause for Iannucci and the numerous other blue-tick centrists who embraced it - allowing them to superficially campaign against the Tories while still being able to noisily undermine Labour activists at every opportunity and retaining a free hand to denounce Corbyn and his movement the instant the exit poll came in without the inconvenient baggage of having ever actually supported him. It was an absolute masterclass in fence-sitting, really.

I think I would have marginally more respect for Iannucci if he'd just kept his mouth shut through the whole thing.

Armin Meiwes

Iannuci's SUCH a disappointment, really would have expected someone that wrote the kind of comedy he did to look at things a bit more deeply than your average centrist.