Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:55:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cyberpunk 2077

Started by Chollis, June 25, 2020, 05:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Zetetic on January 17, 2021, 11:08:55 AM
As opposed to?

Complaining about the game you're presented with rather than being disappointed by your own expectations? Or is this the bit where you say you only had expectations because the company gave them to you? Because i didnt pay any attention to any of the marketing and I'm enjoying the game just fine. Most complaints now (at least on pc where it isnt a mess) seem to be "well its good, but its not as good as i was expecting/what i wanted", and if you have that kind of criticism thats more a fault of you than the game, youre more critizing your expectations than the game.

Thursday

Isn't it just people talking about the game and the industry drama around it? I don't understand evilcommiedictator's sneering tone.

BeardFaceMan

Very little game talk, mostly drama.

I take it they want you to keep playing this after youve finished so is there any kind of endgame once youre done with the story? Or is it waiting for new DLC story missions to drop, or replaying it?

Timothy

I didn't expect much. Didn't buy into the hype. The only thing I expected was a choice driven RPG with decent AI and this isn't it. Imo it's just a broken fairly boring action game in a big lifeless world in which none of your choices or actions matter. Not to mention that on PS5 the game doesn't work because it crashes all the time.
Even without any expectations it's disappointing for a lot of people.

If it worked as intended (didn't crash all the time) I would have enjoyed it more if the AI wasn't so shit. That just ruins the entire game for me.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Timothy on January 17, 2021, 12:02:02 PM
I didn't expect much. Didn't buy into the hype. The only thing I expected was a choice driven RPG with decent AI and this isn't it. It's just a broken fairly boring action game in a big lifeless world in which none of your choices or actions matter. Not to mention that on PS5 the game doesn't work because it crashes all the time. Even without any expectations it's disappointing for a lot of people.

Hundred percent agree. I don't like the setting or the subgenre, think CDPR make mechanically poor games with good writing relative to the usual shit, but thought it'd at least be a visual feast to doss around in like a walking simulator, basically how I treated Witcher 3.

Not even.

Zetetic

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 17, 2021, 11:40:42 AM
Complaining about the game you're presented with rather than being disappointed by your own expectations?
That's a very fair response, and I'd be really interested in hearing more about what people have got out of "the game you're presented with" - beyond the usual "I enjoyed it", "I thought it was clunky".

If you are enjoying it: What did it make you think about? What do you think it helped you understand? How did it make you feel?

Given all the issues around its creation, I'd be really glad to see how it stands as "art" through someone else's eyes.

BeardFaceMan

I think it also helps that I've never played any of The Witcher games so I had no kind of expectations coming from there either.

Quote from: Timothy on January 17, 2021, 12:02:02 PM
I didn't expect much. Didn't buy into the hype. The only thing I expected was a choice driven RPG with decent AI and this isn't it. Imo it's just a broken fairly boring action game in a big lifeless world in which none of your choices or actions matter. Not to mention that on PS5 the game doesn't work because it crashes all the time.
Even without any expectations it's disappointing for a lot of people.

If it worked as intended (didn't crash all the time) I would have enjoyed it more if the AI wasn't so shit. That just ruins the entire game for me.

Aren't there multiple endings and such?

Timothy

Yes but
Spoiler alert
according to a flowchart on Reddit almost everything you do in the story doesn't affect the ending. The ending you are going to get is decided when you choose one out of four dialogue decisions just before the point of no return. Two of them can only be chosen if you do complete certain sidequests
[close]

BeardFaceMan

That's a bit ending-focused though, what about the journey there? Aren't there different ways of getting to the point of no return, different missions depending on what sub-class you choose, people reacting to you differently etc?

Also,
Spoiler alert
do you think you would have been so annoyed by choices seemingly not mattering if you hadn't read about it on reddit? If you'd just played the game without knowing any of that, would you even have noticed? If you did it wouldn't have been until after multiple playthroughs, by which time you would have had dozens of hours of playing it and enjoying it before you got disappointed. As it is, you were disappointed as soon as you picked the game up. That's the kind of thing I mean about being disappointed by your expectations. Play the game first and see if you like it, don't go to reddit and read about everything that people have data mined from the game and get disappointed before you've tried it.
[close]

Timothy

Not much unfortunately. Only those
Spoiler alert
two side quests I mentioned and one sidequest where things play out a bit differently according to what you do in that specific sidequest. Everything else is lineair. The subclass you choose only changes the first 15 minutes of the game and gives you some optional dialogue options. It won't change the quests.
[close]

And re: your spoiler. I didn't read any of that until after I asked for a refund. I didn't quit because the game didn't met my expectations. I quit because I wasn't enjoying the game (and because it couldn't stop crashing). I knew I won't finish the game ever but was curious where the game would have lead me and what I missed out on because I quit. It was only then when I started reading about the game.

And even if the game hadn't crashed so much I would have quit earlier. I dislike it when none of my choices seem to matter. When a game gives you the option to choose between stealth or action but doesn't acknowledge what you are doing so the choice doesn't matter either way. Or for example: If you come across a homeless person in the game who's being pestered by a gang and you choose to save him/her the homeless person doesn't acknowledge that he/she has been saved.
The NPC stays in the same position, scared, not able to do something. If you choose to help a gang or start messing about with a gang it doesn't really matter because none of them acknowledge what you did before when you encounter them again. It just kills immersion.

When I was being a villain in RDR the NPC's would react differently then when I would be nice and make good choices. Same in the Witcher or Deus Ex. That's what I enjoy in open world games. Consequences to my actions and choices. Cyberpunk doesn't offer that. It's a lineair action adventure game pretending to be a RPG. If you remove all the dialogue options and just give you cutscenes not much changes.

If I'm just aimlessly doing one mission after another, where not much changes in the world when I make certain decisions, and nothing what I do seems to change the world I just can't be bothered to finish it. Early in the game I played one mission that seemed like my decisions would make tons of difference four times to see what would change. Nothing really.

Don't give me a huge open world, give me a class to choose and give me tons of dialogue options when none of the decisions I make make a difference. I couldn't properly ''roleplay'' in this game because every answer I choose ended in the same result. That's just pissing me off.

The same happened to me while I was playing Watch Dogs Legion. No matter how much areas you recapture, on a whole, the city stays the same. You can't really save it.
If I play an open world where they pretend that much of what I'm doing is affecting the world but nothing changes I just lose interest.

Alberon

I'm approaching 70 hours in the game and I'm still enjoying it. I've been generally avoiding a lot of the main quests and concentrating on the side quests. Some of them are very good.

I think I'm at the point where I'm going to swing back to the main quest and push through that for a bit. On the PC it is very stable and largely bug free (it's only slightly worse than GTA when I last played that).

There is a lot of work to be done on the game, especially balancing. It's too easy to sit outside a compound and just 'Contagion' all the enemies to death.

But all in all I've enjoyed the game. Be interesting to see if it can be reinvented like No Man's Sky.

Mister Six

Quote from: Zetetic on January 16, 2021, 05:54:24 PM
I'm not sure that really works unless you're someone like Ubisoft, in the business of churning out Far Cry N or Assassin's Creed N where nothing means anything, and the game is a disparate set of mostly the same mechanics with new paint.

If you're building something where you want complex mechanics leading to emergent gameplay (yes, buzzwords, but still) that in someone reflects whatever the game is supposed to be about, then I don't think you have any choice but to iterate and revise and develop your design by reflecting on the game in front of you.

It's just that you've got to be good at that, and even then,  I suspect, you've also got to be reasonably lucky if you're working with more than a few people.

I didn't mean having absolutely everything down in a design document before the first coder sits down, but you should at least have a strong idea of what kind of game you're making - whether it's a linear RPG or an open-world action game or something in between - before you start trying to build the thing. You shouldn't be trying to code the engine before you know what you want it to do, and you certainly shouldn't be overloading the thing with pointless shite or changing direction years into production.

Accepting limitations and creating a feasible road map is probably a good idea too. The Outer Worlds was obviously about half the game it was intended to be in the beginning, and was clearly hacked down some way into production, leading to thinly spread maps, missions that get progressively less complex and varied as they go along, and character arcs that don't really land anywhere. I don't know how much of that was because they bit off more than they could chew and how much was external pressure to get it out ahead of time so maybe all the pre-planning in the world wouldn't have helped, but I can't help but think that trying something on that scale with a new engine etc and a small team was a bit daft.

mobias

Quote from: Alberon on January 17, 2021, 06:52:20 PM
But all in all I've enjoyed the game. Be interesting to see if it can be reinvented like No Man's Sky.

I'm sure it will be reinvented which is why I decided to halt my playthrough early on. I'd rather wait 6 months and come back to it this Summer and see the state of play then. I'd much rather it was in third person. Reading that article it seems even more annoying to learn at one stage it was going to be but it was canned. Really stupid decision. Big games like this should give you the choice in this day and age. I see some modders are already on the case of bringing third person to it. Be interesting to see how far they get with that.

More than anything though its just crying out for a patch to play it in VR. That would be incredible if done properly. I might give that program a go that retrofits VR into games. I watched some footage yesterday of someone playing Star Wars Battlefront 2 in VR. Looked ace. 

evilcommiedictator

I would have been much more invested in the game if it was truly the next big Deus Ex - and indeed, from all the marketing hype, we never really knew what the game was going to be. And indeed, making a Deus Ex style game in an open world seems difficult in terms of walling off content for progression, which is really easy to do in a level-based game.
And it turns out, that's not what we got anyway, we got GTA 3 with hacking, nudity and adult themes?

bgmnts

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on January 17, 2021, 10:49:30 PM
I would have been much more invested in the game if it was truly the next big Deus Ex - and indeed, from all the marketing hype, we never really knew what the game was going to be.

Thing is though, we already have Deus Ex, which is the Top Gun of its genre, probably. Absolute madness to try and emulate it.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Good crowbcat vid on you tube.

The video is class, 41 minutes of gold. Wonderful blend of the hype, from both the developers and yer typical gaming YouTubers, and the reality of it being an absolute turd.

Mister Six

I'm too old and busy to play games more than once these days so I reckon I'll pick it up in a sale in a few years on PS5, play it as an shooter with a bit of plot and I'll be fine with that. I can fully understand people being fucked off though.

Mister Six

There are probably loads of these kinds of videos out at the minute, but I got a bunch of proper belly laughs out of this. Watch it all the way to the end: https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/l2uoy3/welcome_to_the_next_gen_of_openworld_adventure/

Alberon

Can't say I've noticed any difference on the PC. Is anyone torturing themselves with the basic console versions? Has it made a difference?

I'm closing in on the end of the game, mopping up the last few side quests before going on the last of the main quests. Some of the side quests which aren't action-centred grab you in unexpected ways. This afternoon I caught myself
Spoiler alert
staring at an alcove where a vending machine used to be.
[close]

Neomod

I've still got the feeling that this is going to come to Gamepass in the next 6 - 8 mths. That is dependent on it being in a better state after these updates.

Otherwise i'm not sure console owners are going to return to/buy it for the first time at full price.

Mobius

Apparently it's just bug fixes and actually breaks more stuff

And also it somehow looks even shitter on the ps4

Well done lads

Timothy

My experience with the new patch:

Started the game on my PS5.
Loaded savegame.
Immediately got into a phonecall with a main character. But he didn't say anything. Couldn't end the call.
Reloaded save. The same happened. Then the game crashed.
Shut the game off.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on January 19, 2021, 09:20:41 AM
Good crowbcat vid on you tube.

I'm not a gamer but watched that out of interest and it was thoroughly enjoyable.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 25, 2021, 04:40:16 PM
I'm not a gamer but watched that out of interest and it was thoroughly enjoyable.

The juxtaposition of marketing bullshit to the reality of a product is always an entertaining watch.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on January 25, 2021, 05:51:51 PM
The juxtaposition of marketing bullshit to the reality of a product is always an entertaining watch.

It also lifted the veil on gaming mythology - which I always found exclusionary for non-gamers (:)>