Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:29:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cyberpunk 2077

Started by Chollis, June 25, 2020, 05:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brat-sampson

Quote from: H-O-W-L on April 07, 2021, 05:33:53 AM
Should've just not fucking bothered with last gen at all honestly.

Completely true from a game production standpoint, but utterly impossible from an investor/financial one. They would've had to either never announce it on consoles in the first place, cutting off a majority of players, or cancelled the PS4/XBOne versions at the last minute, voiding millions of $$$ in pre-orders and again slashing sales projections, which on a game of this scale never would've flown. It's just not possible to make a game of this scale and release it PC/niche next-gen only, especially when you started on it like 5 years ago.

Of course arguably, what they did was *worse*, but hey, that's capitalism.

lazarou

Bearing in mind microsoft had already released a tie-in special edition xbox one x months prior to release as the flagship console to play it on[nb]this was before the final delay or two back when next-gen would not have been an option.[/nb] the idea of a last-minute cancellation just wasn't something that could've happened without some catastrophic bridge burning on their part. Of course they managed to do that anyway but they'd definitely made their bed by that point.

Mobius

Cyberpunk was announced in 2012, a year before the PS4 was released so I'm not sure how you can call that last gen really. They haven't even made a PS5 version, it's just the PS4 one people are playing on their newer console. Had the game not been repeatedly delayed, it'd would have come out before the 'next gen' consoles anyway.

Years of cool videos and teasers and stuff, and they never said 'by the way this won't run on currently available consoles' they even said just before release that it ran 'surprisingly well' on the PS4.

Plus no cunt can find a PS5. And sounds like the PC version is far from perfect anyway.

H-O-W-L

The thing is they had to have been designing it with PS4/XBone in mind until very recently, so the mindfuck of them ballsing up the now-last-gen versions is... baffling, really.

Capt.Midnight

Quote from: Mobius on April 07, 2021, 10:36:11 PM
Cyberpunk was announced in 2012, a year before the PS4 was released so I'm not sure how you can call that last gen really. They haven't even made a PS5 version, it's just the PS4 one people are playing on their newer console. Had the game not been repeatedly delayed, it'd would have come out before the 'next gen' consoles anyway.

Years of cool videos and teasers and stuff, and they never said 'by the way this won't run on currently available consoles' they even said just before release that it ran 'surprisingly well' on the PS4.

Plus no cunt can find a PS5. And sounds like the PC version is far from perfect anyway.

Spot on. They've massively fucked this up.

Pinball

Can one run around naked, or was that hype?

Cuellar

They can fix as many bugs as they want and improve performance as much as they want, the game just wasn't very good.

Pinball

Alberon

I enjoyed the game. On the PC there weren't too many bugs, but the ridiculous PR hype made a fairly standard, if good looking, game have no chance. Some of the side missions were very good.

Timothy

Restarted the game yesterday to see what the patches changed. Choose new game, started as a Street Kid, played the first few missions.

During one of the first sidemissions, the one with the
Spoiler alert
cop in the apartment that you have to warn
[close]
I was quite curious to see what my change in background would do. Last time I played I was a Nomad and
Spoiler alert
at the market I found another Nomad. Dialogue gave me a special Nomad
option. The guy told me he would normally not tell but since I was a Nomad he told me where the cop was.
[close]
It was a special line for Nomad so I wanted to see how I could solve this mission as a Street Kid.

Spoiler alert
The same guy sat there, I got a Street Kid dialogue option, three other lines of dialogue after choosing that option, guy told me where the cop was, same way to finish the quest.
[close]

Still dont get why they made those backgrounds if they all play the exact same.

brat-sampson

I feel like they had much grander plans for the backgrounds that never actually came to pass. The 'role playing' side of the entire game is seriously underbaked. They might as well have stuck with a preformed protagonist. It's not *quite* at that level, but it's not even in the same realm as any decent CRPG.

druss

So was Witcher 3 a fluke then?

I suppose it was a far from perfect game anyway. It did some things better than any other games but it wasn't great in some areas.

Timothy

Witcher is one of my all time favorites and imo one of the best RPGs of recent years. At release it wasnt quite good but they patched it to be as good as possible. But even at launch you could see what it could be.

Even if Cyberpunk works properly its just a mediocre action adventure game imo. They can patch it all they want but it wont turn into the groundbreaking rpg they proposed. Not even into a proper good rpg I think. Its just a mediocre game.

Read somewhere that the team that made Witcher didnt work on Cyberpunk. That would make a lot of sense.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: druss on April 29, 2021, 10:14:42 AM
So was Witcher 3 a fluke then?

I suppose it was a far from perfect game anyway. It did some things better than any other games but it wasn't great in some areas.

No, Witcher 3 was a much more organised project (as were other developed titles).

Cyberpunk 2077 was a masterclass in how to not run a project. For example, the dates/KPIs set were unrealistic, leading to content being cut and known technical problems ignored as 'we'll sort them out later' whereas action should be taken before going on further; poor oversight of teams and individuals meant work was done with people checking if anyone else had done it or how it would fit into work done elsewhere.

It was widely reported that the development team weren't clear what sort of game it was to be - if people don't know what the goals are, achieving them is rather tricky.

It was also reported that some features were suddenly thought of and quickly added to the game without that much thought. Sometimes ideas coming from a project can be great but they don't fit that project but people get excited and want to run with them.

I suspect we will never know the full story, but my gut feeling is that most of the issues stemmed from common project management issues, which aren't actually that complicated.