Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:36:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bruno Schulz - The Street of Crocodiles

Started by Twit 2, June 25, 2020, 05:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twit 2

Finally reading this, after reading about it in books by John Gray and Thomas Ligotti. Schulz is meant to be a huge influence on the latter.

You can totally see it in the gleaming, flowing, descriptive sentences. It's only a notch or two darker and you're in pure Ligotti territory.

Anyway, gonna absolutely feast on this bugger.

bgmnts

Holy shit those sentences were literally* bulging with description, almost to the point of erotica.

*metaphorically.

Twit 2

chveik

it's a great one, much better than the more famous The Hourglass Sanatorium

Twit 2

He does it all!

Mad father emptying his toiletings out a window? Check!

Twit 2

Anyone seen the Quay Brothers film of it?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Stuff all these 'curses' and 'harsh words' euphemisms, bring the utterances to me directly - alive and unspoilt.

Twit 2

The chapter, 'Birds' — where his father starts ordering bird eggs from Africa, then starts a giant, mad aviary in the attic, marrying the birds etc, then starts becoming birdlike himself, until the sister gets fed up with the whole carry-on and goes up and sorts it all out with a broom — is one of the greatest things I've ever read. I suspect it's deeply metaphorical and allegorical in lots of ways but it also just functions as a beautiful, bat-shit, other-worldly tale. I have never read anything like it. Kafka's Metamorphosis I suppose comes close, but Schulz's imagination and prose is just off the scale. Where the hell has he been all my life?

ASFTSN

Had a re-read of this in my sights for a while. Anyone wants a hit of real life WWII desolation should look up Schulz' untimely death. Complete and utter waste.

Twit 2

Tailors' Dummies!

Between that chapter of TSoC and the essay on marionettes by Kleist, you have some of the best writing on human consciousness and existence ever produced.