Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:49:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Boycie In Belgrade

Started by TheMonk, June 26, 2020, 01:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

A Serbian mate of mine told me about this - OFAH is absolutely MASSIVE in Serbia, as is Blackadder, and Boycie makes fairly regular appearances there, and is mobbed whenever he does. David Jason or Rowan Atkinson would be held up as living gods if they ever went near the country.

In fact, Serbia had its own Blackadder rip-off, "Crni Gruja". Crni means Black and Gruja looks like guja, which is the word for adder.

Here's an episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz95h3FjHQA

Apparently they didn't change timelines like in Blackadder, so when the main actor got too big for his boots, they just recast him.

thr0b

The line where Challis stops and Boycie begins grows ever blurrier.

Gurke and Hare

Channel 5 must be furious they didn't think of this first.

Tony Yeboah

Marlene, get that dog out of the army tank.

Ferris

One episode could be based around him flogging hooky Skodas.

Ah-hahahahahahaha!

Brundle-Fly

Hats off to him for milking that character for all its worth. Chaliss missed a trick by not writing two autobiographies, one called I Am Not Boycie and the other I Am Boycie.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Del Boy falls into the mass grave.

Really going for it with the Boycie voice on that video.

petril

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 26, 2020, 06:58:51 PM
Del Boy falls into the mass grave.

Really going for it with the Boycie voice on that video.

He seems to be doing a 'dinner experience actor' impression of Boycie there.

Shaky

I follow Boychallis on Twitter and it's an amusingly bleak affair. Most of his comments are either Partridge-esque, banal remarks about everyday life or seemingly random retweets. Fucker's got over 100k of followers, somehow.

Nowhere Man

He seems nice enough, it's easy to scoff but if he's happy enough being Boycie forever than i've got nothing against it.

In my head the Only Fools and Horses canon ends in 1996

imitationleather

I heard John Challis recently auditioned for the part of Boycie in an Only Fools and Horses dining experience and didn't get it. :(

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Mister Six on June 26, 2020, 01:35:21 PM
A Serbian mate of mine told me about this - OFAH is absolutely MASSIVE in Serbia, as is Blackadder, and Boycie makes fairly regular appearances there, and is mobbed whenever he does. David Jason or Rowan Atkinson would be held up as living gods if they ever went near the country...

On the recentish documentary on GOLD, pretty sure they had a clip of the Serbian version - also, about when Challis was on a Serb chat show, where the host had a heart attack and Challis had to try and keep the show going... now there's a pro!

Tony Yeboah

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/on-sale-now-a-private-audience-with-queen-cersei-and-personal-insults-from-an-inbetweener-22mx65fxp

'Providing a trip down memory lane is John Challis, who played Boycie in Only Fools and Horses for almost two decades. He charges £35 for fan videos on CelebVM...Challis, 79, has also seen a sharp increase in lockdown demand and now makes 70 videos a week in character as Boycie. His wife Carol writes the scripts and he sets aside two hours each afternoon to film their "collective efforts".
He acknowledged that the income was helpful at a difficult time for actors — the pantomime in Southsea in which he was due to star at Christmas was cancelled last week. "It's very useful," he added. "I'm a silly old pensioner. I see this as my second pension." '

Shaky

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on June 28, 2020, 11:12:21 PM
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/on-sale-now-a-private-audience-with-queen-cersei-and-personal-insults-from-an-inbetweener-22mx65fxp

'Providing a trip down memory lane is John Challis, who played Boycie in Only Fools and Horses for almost two decades. He charges £35 for fan videos on CelebVM...Challis, 79, has also seen a sharp increase in lockdown demand and now makes 70 videos a week in character as Boycie. His wife Carol writes the scripts and he sets aside two hours each afternoon to film their "collective efforts".
He acknowledged that the income was helpful at a difficult time for actors — the pantomime in Southsea in which he was due to star at Christmas was cancelled last week. "It's very useful," he added. "I'm a silly old pensioner. I see this as my second pension." '

That CelebVM site is always worth a dip into. Love the "Stig lookalike" (ie: a man in a helmet) charging $60.

Mister Six

Quote from: Ignatius_S on June 28, 2020, 02:00:44 PM
On the recentish documentary on GOLD, pretty sure they had a clip of the Serbian version - also, about when Challis was on a Serb chat show, where the host had a heart attack and Challis had to try and keep the show going... now there's a pro!

Wait, what?! That's amazing. I'll have to ask my mate about it some time. Google has nothing (in English, at least).

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Mister Six on June 29, 2020, 06:23:45 AM
Wait, what?! That's amazing. I'll have to ask my mate about it some time. Google has nothing (in English, at least).

There were a couple of clips - the first shows Challis being interviewed and the second after the host has been rushed away for medical attention and Challis been left just sitting there... then when the house band start playing the OFAH theme song, Challis gets up and a little awkwardly, begins to dance. As I say, a pro!

The Culture Bunker

I remember in Belgrade seeing a mural of who I thought was Joe Strummer, but I'm wondering now if it might have been Roger Lloyd-Pack as Trigger.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on June 28, 2020, 11:12:21 PM

I read that article too - a while ago, there was a thread about these kind of services, sounded a little like money for old rope to me, but thought 'fair play' when I read the effort that Challis and his wife put into recording those messages.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on June 29, 2020, 10:18:03 PM
I remember in Belgrade seeing a mural of who I thought was Joe Strummer, but I'm wondering now if it might have been Roger Lloyd-Pack as Trigger.
The resemblance is definitely there. Anyone?

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on June 30, 2020, 12:10:12 AM
The resemblance is definitely there. Anyone?

He was a gravedigger in the early 70s before The Clash. When he quit he was still using the same shovel he started with.

lankyguy95

[Tag] The more expensive follow-up to Debbie Does Dallas [/tag]

Twit 2

In 1994, Micky Pearce was involved in systematic rape in Dubrovnik—it explains his cheeky grin.