Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:23:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

TOASTY

Started by Barry Admin, June 26, 2020, 01:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Got a wee sandwich toaster this week as I've spent years wanting to get back into the awesome pleasure of toasted egg sandwiches.[NB]Just push the back of a spoon into the bread to make an indentation and then crack your egg in, easy.[/NB]

What else is good to make though?

Sebastian Cobb

Bean and cheese
Leftover chilli and cheese
Leftover stovies/corned beef hash

Sebastian Cobb

Smarties. Although you might have to be 15 and quite stoned.

Corned beef and tomato sauce go surprisingly well together.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on June 26, 2020, 02:01:06 PM
Corned beef and tomato sauce go surprisingly well together.

Corned beef and pickle is good too.

This thread is getting me quite tempted also! I've not had a toastie machine since I got better at veggie curries and stuff. I did a chickpea, veg and paneer pasties a while back, and I think a simpler version of that could be really good.

Shit Good Nose

My favourite was always cheese (a good mature cheddar with some bite, or summat like emmental) and raw onion, with plenty of butter on the outside to get a good crust and around the inside edges to get a good seal to make sure the cheese doesn't splurge out everywhere.

Sliced mozzarella, tomato and pesto.

Decent cheddar and a bit of caramelised onion chutney on a proper decent seedy loaf.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Shippams Chunky Chicken Supreme in a tin. It's the same stuff they put in vol au vents, but it tastes brilliant in a toastie. Any tin of chicken will do really, but Shippams is the best one.

Puce Moment

Brie, chutney and basil leaves.

Blumf

Red Leicester and Chestnut mushrooms.

Emma Raducanu

When I lived in a foreign country for a month, I stayed in a house with an extremely limited kitchen. I'd shop at the market down the road each day and make dinner for the evening. It was really hard doing much with one pan and a gas hob that didn't get up to a useable temperature.

The most satisfying thing however were these packs of sliced gouda and sliced sausage meat you could get for toasties. Took no effort at all and they tasted incredible. I've never found the same meat slices in England, which is a daily disappointment.

Chollis

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 26, 2020, 01:56:38 PM
Bean and cheese

dunno why i've never tried this. sounds like the beans could go everywhere! do you just plop them on the bread cold?

Buelligan

Any melty mild cheese and leftover arrabbiata sauce.  Nice.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Chollis on June 26, 2020, 03:27:57 PM
dunno why i've never tried this. sounds like the beans could go everywhere! do you just plop them on the bread cold?

You spoon them into a little pile in the middle of the bread, making sure there's not too much sauce.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Chollis on June 26, 2020, 03:27:57 PM

Cheese on bread then a couple of tablespoons of bean. Not too much sauce.

Also it gets fucking hot,stab a couple of holes in the toastie, bite the end off then gently blows through it to force steam out.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 26, 2020, 01:56:38 PM
Leftover stovies/corned beef hash

and cheese.

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on June 26, 2020, 02:25:58 PM
Shippams Chunky Chicken Supreme in a tin.

and cheese.

Always cheese.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Chocolate and pilchards
Banana and acorns

JesusAndYourBush

I remember having toasties as a kid.  Very well toasted and with a filling hot as lava.  You'd nibble the corners first as they were less hot, then after waiting an age you'd try and eat a little bit and scald the inside of your mouth.  Toasties were always like this.

Then this year I had a realization: you don't have to toast them for that long!  Take them out halfway through!

Jasha

Peanut butter

What out for scaled tongue

Barry Admin

Well I went and got some supplies, and oh my goodness, that was a taste sensation and a half, thank you!  I'm not a big fan of the bean, and I thought hot chutney sounded mad.  However, it was fucking gorgeous.  So, bit of chopped onion, some baked beans, chutney, then added a bit of cheese and ham to one of them just because, you know, can't go wrong with cheese and hgam toastie.  Forgot to put pepper in, so sprinkled white pepper on top when it was done, and they were sublime... oh man, I can't place the taste, it was so familiar and it's driving me mad, but it was a spicey kind of tangy lovely thing, fucking amazing.

Edit: mince pie! That's what it was reminiscent of, oddly. A lovely big mince toast-pie.

Puce Moment

Another hot chutney convert!

I don't like chutney when it is too sweet (the caramelised onion chutneys tend to taste a bit ick) but apple tomato chutneys go so well with cheese. It brings just the right amount of grown-up tanginess/sourness to a toastie.

Having said that I prefer salad cream to mayonnaise so my tastebuds are well pikey.

Pijlstaart

Very heartening to hear, I'm far too long in the tooth for any of this, but I will live vicariously through your sandwich toaster successes.

Used to live with a young man who had a sandwich toaster, but it wasn't clean, there were many layers of burnt cheese on the toaster. I picked off part of the burnt cheese to snack on, but it was dreadful, and I fear I shall never recover, so watch out!

QDRPHNC

I replaced my old toaster oven with a new toaster / convection / air frying over.

Check this: the other night I did a frozen pizza in it in 15 minutes with no preheating. Then I air fried it for another 10 minutes to create the most delicious grease-free crunchy surface.

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 26, 2020, 03:51:56 PM
Also it gets fucking hot,stab a couple of holes in the toastie, bite the end off then gently blows through it to force steam out.

Like a tasty ocarina.

elliszeroed

Toasted peanut butter samwiches are the YUM.

Cold Meat Platter

Salami/pepperoni, cheese, onions and pickled jalapenos.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I'm very unadventurous and usually do chicken and cheese with mixed leaves or pepperoni and cheese for that vague pizza taste. Try Edam cheese though. It gets wonderfully stringy when it's melted.

NattyDread 2

I love me a cheese and (MacSweens) haggis toastie with brown sauce to dip, or chilli sauce inside it. Usually only have them in a cafe in Dalwhinnie when I'm heading down to the big smoke. Keeps me going for hours.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I'd just like to point out that the correct noun to use in this instance is "toastie".
"Toasty" is merely an adjective.