Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:43:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Am I coming down with a varient of glinner disease?

Started by tao of wub, June 27, 2020, 03:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tao of wub

Up late at night every night and just today written rants against a couple of other members who are, in one case, a cast iron troll and in the other, I have no idea, but tin foil is on their shopping list.

It feels unhealthy, not bad man actions but not good for my mind.  I have never been active on any platforms in the past and now it seems like I am gripped with the 'somebody on the internet is wrong' syndrome.  Is this a common affliction?

I laughed so much at a long thread about Guilty Ron and the dog, I need more laughs less rants, so I am going to remove myself for a bit.  Not flouncing, but simply retreating to a safe distance.

For now you are all free to dye your hair any colour you like, I won't feel put upon so no worries.  Hair colour is not a zero sum game.  Who doesn't like doing chemistry experiments on their bonce?

Might try and scan a pic of my dads cat and post that.  Happy happy joy joy.

Goldentony

I don't know how old you are mate but if this is the first time you're getting this in 2020 when most of us have been feeling this since the days of no cunt being able to use the blower you need to fuck your router out the window and go to a nice secluded bit of the immediate area. You can beat this. The rest of us are, excuse my language, fucking cunted

tao of wub

My first computer was an already well used Sinclair zx81, so I have had opportunity! 

My life has changed a bit in recent years, normally I have a load of stuff that I have to do, and people that I see.  Not happening for a few years now.  There also seem to be millions of extra proper bastards suddenly all over the world too, and they are all in ascendance.  The Dawning of the Age of Bastard.

Going to take that advise and get off line for a bit.  Seeing Glinners demise just now HAS cheered me up though, just hope his sickness isn't like a parasite looking for a new host!

Also thanks to, probably madhair, for bringing Megg, Mogg and Owl to my attention.  Really excellent.

evilcommiedictator

It is a state of mind thing, some people like screwing with other people and giving in their minds, but having the ability to say to yourself "wait, do i really need to send this" is not something we have all time. if it makes you feel better, typing it out, and waiting an hour to post it if you feel it needs to be out there

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Check your eyes. If one is now inexplicably lower than the other, then yes, you have Glinner disease.

Emma Raducanu

I was having a nice BBQ when I read about RLB being sacked. It plunged my good mood into a depth of despair. 

Furloughed and stuck at home, I've been following national/global events much more intensely; endlessly reading the news, here, Twitter, blogs, on and on. Everything seems so monumentally fucking shit.

In the most trivial sense, it feels like waking up to hear your team has just lost again. Every day, the same. Defeat, defeat, defeat. I feel shattered by the bleakness of it all.

I wanted to start a thread along the lines of reasons to be optimistic but I literally decided not to for fear nobody else could find anything to be cheerful about either. I couldn't deal with that.

So all day yesterday, I avoided news. And I feel a lot better. Just get off Twitter or whatever bleak corner of the internet you're on and play the piano instead until you've had chance to fully recharge your batteries. It feels good to pretend everything is fine. Let's have more toasty threads.

GMTV

Twitter is like staring into the gates of hell. It's so incredibly toxic.

I only tend to go on it when there's a 'breaking news' type scenario as things will usually appear there before the major news outlets get to it. I'll see a post with a further piece of information, scroll down and usually within a few comments someones made an incredibly cunty remark. I then click on that persons account and its down the rabbit hole trying to understand why that person is such a cunt. And there's cunts on all sides, left, right, centre. An infinite number of combinations of cuntery, more or less spans the spectrum of politics and morals.

I'll sit on it for a bit and then remember what the fuck am I doing on this? And leave trying to remember never to go back on again, a bit like a really bad hangover. I always feel slightly worse about myself and life in general if I spend any length of time on twitter.

earl_sleek

I was on Twitter the other day and against my better judgement I replied to someone who had commented on one of Linehan's tweets about 'Baroness' Nicholson, complaining about the 'vicious' attacks they were receiving. I pointed out Linehan accuses teenage girls of being 'groomers' and Nicholson openly opposes gay marriage so they can expect some pushback. I got some borderline illiterate reply from someone else rabbiting on about child abuse and Nicholson is isn't homophobic 'she just has an opinion' (yes, a homophobic one). I nearly replied to it but just caught myself in time.

I've definitely gotten into stupid arguments here and let them enrage me far more than is healthy, though I've learned over the years to recognise when this is beginning to happen and butt out.

touchingcloth

Quote from: GMTV on June 27, 2020, 09:32:37 AM

I only tend to go on it when there's a 'breaking news' type scenario as things will usually appear there before the major news outlets get to it. I'll see a post with a further piece of information, scroll down and usually within a few comments someones made an incredibly cunty remark. I then click on that persons account and its down the rabbit hole trying to understand why that person is such a cunt. And there's cunts on all sides, left, right, centre. An infinite number of combinations of cuntery, more or less spans the spectrum of politics and morals.

I'll sit on it for a bit and then remember what the fuck am I doing on this? And leave trying to remember never to go back on again, a bit like a really bad hangover. I always feel slightly worse about myself and life in general if I spend any length of time on twitter.

I dislike it a lot. I resisted joining for a long time as everything I'd seen suggested it was like YouTube comments but worse (and shorter), so when I did join it was cautiously and as a lurker and following mainly news/science/comedy accounts, but the very small handful of comments I made were met with responses which seemed designed to provoke an argument - essentially "oh, why's that then, CUNT?" - so I flounced because I've been on the Internet long enough to know when I'm at risk of getting drawn into emotionally draining and ultimately pointless arguments, and it seems to me like twitter offers little else.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: tao of wub on June 27, 2020, 03:48:27 AM
For now you are all free to dye your hair any colour you like, I won't feel put upon so no worries.

This seems like a vile targetted attack on CaB's embattled bald community.

Funcrusher

Quote from: tao of wub on June 27, 2020, 03:48:27 AM
Up late at night every night and just today written rants against a couple of other members who are, in one case, a cast iron troll and in the other, I have no idea, but tin foil is on their shopping list.

It feels unhealthy, not bad man actions but not good for my mind.  I have never been active on any platforms in the past and now it seems like I am gripped with the 'somebody on the internet is wrong' syndrome. 

Get the ignore script.

Thursday

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 27, 2020, 11:53:00 AM
I dislike it a lot. I resisted joining for a long time as everything I'd seen suggested it was like YouTube comments but worse (and shorter), so when I did join it was cautiously and as a lurker and following mainly news/science/comedy accounts, but the very small handful of comments I made were met with responses which seemed designed to provoke an argument - essentially "oh, why's that then, CUNT?" - so I flounced because I've been on the Internet long enough to know when I'm at risk of getting drawn into emotionally draining and ultimately pointless arguments, and it seems to me like twitter offers little else.

See this is the thing though, as this sounds like you're using to twitter to "comment" on things, which I'd rarely do.

I'd mainly use it to talk to other people I know online, or make stupid jokes (which okay sure I'll probably get 1 or 2 likes at best)

It's probably not really going to be work if you don't have lots of other mainly online friends.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Funcrusher on June 27, 2020, 01:07:30 PM
Get the ignore script.

It doesn't work if other people respond to them though, does it, Funcrusher? You know the individual I'm referring to. Get it blocked.

spaghetamine

Our brains weren't designed to handle this constant deluge of information, you shouldn't ever feel guilty for tuning out when you need to, god knows your mind will thank you

Icehaven

Quote from: GMTV on June 27, 2020, 09:32:37 AM

I only tend to go on it when there's a 'breaking news' type scenario as things will usually appear there before the major news outlets get to it.

I've never used Twitter but I'd have thought the opposite of this, I'd just automatically assume anything on there relating to a news story probably wasn't true. I know that won't always be the case, but I'd still be unable to trust anything so it'd be useless in that respect.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 27, 2020, 01:42:29 PM
It doesn't work if other people respond to them though, does it, Funcrusher? You know the individual I'm referring to. Get it blocked.

Already done.

Ray Travez

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on June 27, 2020, 05:40:43 AM
Check your eyes. If one is now inexplicably lower than the other, then yes, you have Glinner disease.

There's also the philtrum issue. I don't particularly wish to shame the Father Ted co-writer and maniac Graham Linehan for his appearance, but he does have an incredibly deep and disturbing philtrum.

Goldentony

Quote from: spaghetamine on June 27, 2020, 01:47:03 PM
Our brains weren't designed to handle this constant deluge of information, you shouldn't ever feel guilty for tuning out when you need to, god knows your mind will thank you

Yeah, Twitter's the equivalent of how they convert Blanka from human to BLANKA in the film Street Fighter: The Movie

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: tao of wub on June 27, 2020, 03:48:27 AMIt feels unhealthy, not bad man actions but not good for my mind.  I have never been active on any platforms in the past and now it seems like I am gripped with the 'somebody on the internet is wrong' syndrome.  Is this a common affliction?

Many a time I've seen something on facebook or twitter or a forum or reddit and got a couple of sentences into my reply and then deleted it.  I realise that if I replied then I'd have to read the responses later and get sucked into an argument with someone I'm not likely to meet.  When you realise that they're not worthy of your words it makes it very easy to move on without getting sucked into a discussion.  Develop a better bullshit detector.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: GMTV on June 27, 2020, 09:32:37 AMI only tend to go on it when there's a 'breaking news' type scenario as things will usually appear there before the major news outlets get to it.

That's the only time I bother with it too.  I find the tweet length too limiting.  On the few times I've wanted to reply to something it's been too long and by the time I've shortened and abbreviated it my message has become too incoherent for my liking so I don't bother.

Quote from: Ray Travez on June 27, 2020, 02:07:12 PM
There's also the philtrum issue. I don't particularly wish to shame the Father Ted co-writer and maniac Graham Linehan for his appearance, but he does have an incredibly deep and disturbing philtrum.

I bet his rasmus height is nonstandard too!

touchingcloth

Quote from: Thursday on June 27, 2020, 01:16:29 PM
See this is the thing though, as this sounds like you're using to twitter to "comment" on things, which I'd rarely do.

I'd mainly use it to talk to other people I know online, or make stupid jokes (which okay sure I'll probably get 1 or 2 likes at best)

It's probably not really going to be work if you don't have lots of other mainly online friends.

I didn't realise that sort of thing went on there and thought it was mainly about public posting - a big old below the line.

Surely the character limit becomes a hindrance if you're using it as (what sounds like) a stand in for direct messaging? For me chatting with friends has gone through phases of MSN, Google IMs, Whatsapp or Slack, or for purely online friends whatever instant/direct messaging tool the platform offers until I'm ready to dox myself.

touchingcloth

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on June 27, 2020, 03:52:27 PM
That's the only time I bother with it too.  I find the tweet length too limiting.  On the few times I've wanted to reply to something it's been too long and by the time I've shortened and abbreviated it my message has become too incoherent for my liking so I don't bother.

This is another reason why the platform doesn't work for me. It's dumb as fuck seeing people screenshotting a text editor or notes app to get around the character limit (not to mention the accessibility issues with doing that), and I find threads unreadable - I can't comfortably skip the break between posts so I have to read things multiple times over - reading one feels like reading a book when I'm on the edge of sleep and I'm interpreting each individual word correctly but then I realise I've got no clue what the paragraph I've just read was about.

Buelligan

Other people don't really upset me any more.  I've decided, in the End, I win and that's that.  I've watched the last episode and know they all get theirs. 

So yep, there are bastards all over the place, my village mayor's a cunt for starters, but I know the outcome and it ain't pleasant.  I'm just here, saying my bit, doing my piece, nodding and smiling and watching the rope fray on that safe. 

purlieu

Serious political discussion is almost impossible on Twitter. It's good for short jokes, finding new music, and interesting snippets about the production of classic sitcoms (the latter particularly so if you follow mumoss)