Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:52:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Films that disappoint on viewing again

Started by TheMonk, June 27, 2020, 12:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaDanketies

The Dark Knight is the only time I've left the cinema, although I only left to smoke a cigarette and went back in again. It was over-long and too serious for Batman. I never even watched the one with Bane in it.

I feel like I missed out because it got such rave reviews.

Neither of the Nolan Batman sequels hold up to repeat viewings, especially Rises. The gaps in logic and the plot become very visible when you aren't being overwhelmed by the spectacle.

Batman Begins is still brilliant though.

jobotic

Quote from: JaDanketies on July 02, 2020, 11:33:14 AM
The Dark Knight is the only time I've left the cinema, although I only left to smoke a cigarette and went back in again. It was over-long and too serious for Batman. I never even watched the one with Bane in it.

I feel like I missed out because it got such rave reviews.

There's this one bit in it - only a very short bit, lasts about as long as it takes to smoke a cigarette, for instance - that is incredible. Mind-blowing, life-changing, hilarious as well as heart-breaking. And the film is much worse without it.

greenman

I think you could argue the response to the third film was partly like people watching the second film again given how similar it was.

You do I think get the sense of someone looking to plug the characters into some rather superficial moralising rather than really fleshing them out. As "adult" cinema I would say the Russo's MCU films hold up better, they do manage to really sell the characters as believable not just shifted around by the plot as needed.

SavageHedgehog

I kind of like Rises, but I think it shows how hard the "realistic" approach is to maintain with something as inherently absurd and exaggerated as Batman; there's a lot more one liners and quips, and the plot is a lot more cartoonist, even resorting to Saturday morning stuff like "hello, what's this unread speech I've just found". It's a film which doesn't quite fit into its straightjacket, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as some of the frownyfaced grimdarkness of Dark Knight was a bit hard to take

dissolute ocelot

I started watching 12 Monkeys the other night, which I loved when I was young, but since then I watched Chris Marker's La Jetee which it's based on and which makes much more sense while being much shorter. And more importantly La Jetee doesn't feature Brad Pitt giving what may be the most annoying performance in history. It makes me twitch. I also suspect that 1990s mental hospitals weren't like that in any way. Also in Willis news, Die Hard 2 and Fifth Element are shit on re-watching but Die Hard With A Vengeance still managed to draw me in, and obviously the first is still great.

Gulftastic

I love 12 Monkeys, but Pitt always got on my last nerve. I'll never understand the praise his performance got. It's panto level.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 02, 2020, 03:30:30 PM
Also in Willis news, Die Hard 2 and Fifth Element are shit on re-watching but Die Hard With A Vengeance still managed to draw me in, and obviously the first is still great.
It would be a gross overstatement to say that Die Hard disappoints, but I am struck by how padded out it seems when I rewatch it. I'm pretty sure you could excise the entire subplot with the sleazy reporter and the film wouldn't suffer.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 02, 2020, 04:26:25 PM
It would be a gross overstatement to say that Die Hard disappoints, but I am struck by how padded out it seems when I rewatch it. I'm pretty sure you could excise the entire subplot with the sleazy reporter and the film wouldn't suffer.

That's a heretical opinion, and I agree.

Bence Fekete

For some reason I'd always remembered Carlito's Way as an enjoyable if conventional gangster flick but watching back recently it really is like a cartoon badass fantasy for the under 5s.

Also recently caught the uncut version of Holiday which is basically the same movie with an (horrendous) rape scene added. Overall it felt like a much flimsier, tedious and uninteresting flick the second time round.

famethrowa

The film is certainly not a disappointment, but I was surprised how little I now care about the fate of the Bruce Willis boxer in Pulp Fiction. Back when I watched it in the 90s I was really gripped by his part in the film, but now it's like "ehh he's just a money grabbing murdering thug too, who cares?"

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on July 02, 2020, 08:47:12 AM
Before lockdown I was watching some real trash classics with my friends and was aghast to discover Road House is now boring to me. Who gives a fuck about some grubby old pub? Fuck that.
My mate works / worked in a bar that showed movies on their big screen, and every Friday night for over a year, he'd show Road House, and I've seen it maybe 20 times in that period. It's chuffing great man!

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: greenman on July 02, 2020, 12:59:41 PM
I think you could argue the response to the third film was partly like people watching the second film again given how similar it was.

You do I think get the sense of someone looking to plug the characters into some rather superficial moralising rather than really fleshing them out. As "adult" cinema I would say the Russo's MCU films hold up better, they do manage to really sell the characters as believable not just shifted around by the plot as needed.
I think the third Nolan Batman is much more wrong-headed than either of the first two - it's like you're cheering against Occupy Wall Street - and The Dark Knight is the vastly superior movie. But ymmv and all that.

Johnny Textface

Inception. Really enjoyed it at the time on the big screen. Thought it was clever and tense. Couldn't get through it recently. Constant exposition and it's STUPID.

bgmnts

Yeah anything Nolan on rewatch is just cack, especially Batman. Joel Schumacher's Batman is better.

MikkiDisco

Chasing Amy. Was never my favourite Kevin Smith film but I certainly liked it when it came out. Watched it a couple of years ago and it becomes utterly unwatchable about half way through. Just thinking about the end scene where he proposes the threesome is irritating the crap out of me.

Johnny Textface

Yeah I don't think Kevin Smith films hold up when you get to a certain age. Bit like Bill Hicks.

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 02, 2020, 12:02:45 PM
Neither of the Nolan Batman sequels hold up to repeat viewings, especially Rises. The gaps in logic and the plot become very visible when you aren't being overwhelmed by the spectacle.

Batman Begins is still brilliant though.

Agree with the thread consensus here, Batman Begins holds up by far the best of the three.

Love the dark and pulpy tone and the dingy, grimy aesthetic of crime-riddled Gotham City. It's such a shame this was completely jettisoned for the Dark Knight/Rises, when it becomes a much more realistic (and boring) city and therefore much more ridiculous that this sort of hyper-real stuff is occurring within it.