Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:44:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I just want to tell you both good luck, we're all counting on you

Started by Keebleman, June 27, 2020, 06:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keebleman

Dr Rumack has now been saying that for FORTY YEARS!  Yep, it's four decades ago today that Airplane! was unleashed on the world and, frankly, had a terrible effect on movie comedy as dozens of hacks thought, "I can do that!" But it's unfair to blame the film for being superb, and to mark the anniversary Gilbert Gottfried interviewed (via Zoom) the film's leads, Robert Hays and Julie Hagerty, who both have loads of great stories about the production. Includes in-depth discussion of Leslie Nielson's obsession with fart-boxes.

https://www.gilbertpodcast.com/airplane-40th-anniversary-withjulie-hagerty-and-robert-hays/?fbclid=IwAR0MJ6ZNA35Ll76-KTUYeqAZRPplqrKH9IDLbyGR2VwuoSEQf9ewjuwEUpg

Custard

Hugely original opinion I know, but I consider it one of the funniest films ever made. Probably that and Spinal Tap vying for the top spot

Keep meaning to rewatch the sequel, but I remember not liking it very much. Though I keep reading online that people enjoy it, so maybe it needs another chance

On a side note, I showed Mrs Custard, who's Slovakian (dunno if this info is important) Airplane a couple christmasses ago, and she sat stony faced throughout. Didn't laugh once. Excruciating stuff. Maybe I'd built it up too much beforehand as one of the funniest things ever

Though I did the same for Withnail, and she almost enjoyed that

Shit Good Nose

The sequel is worth it for the extended Shatner cameo alone, which contains one of the greatest visual gags in cinema history.

As for your missus' non-reaction - having European relatives and friends from and in Italy, Poland and France, I can tell you with some confidence that Airplane belongs in similar company as Python and Vic and Bob, i.e. it doesn't travel East particularly well.

Blumf

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 05, 2020, 10:11:00 PM
The sequel is worth it for the extended Shatner cameo alone, which contains one of the greatest visual gags in cinema history.

This is true. Rest of the film is not outright bad, but mostly forgettable (bit with Ted in the insane asylum is good). But then the Shat turns up and nails it.

Bonus points for this prop cameo:

"Why would the government put all that money into a thing with lights?"

Airplane is one of the best film comedies, fighting with Blazing Saddles and Life of Brian for number one position.

Ferris

Very sharp writing as well, it's not easy to do gag after gag after gag without it feeling relentless.

Huge fan of the inane reactionary TV talking head: "they bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into - I say, let 'em crash!"

Alberon

I could fill this thread with gifs.

And of course Stephen Stucker.

madhair60

I don't like it at all. Well, I should rephrase that. I don't find it funny in the slightest, I think it's aggressively unfunny in fact and I'm fairly convinced most of its reputation is based on people seeing it as kids. It's the way that some of it is played straight but other stuff gets big HUH WHAT THAT'S WEIRD reactions, it just doesn't work, it drains the comedy away for me.

Then whenever I go and look up clips of it, convinced I must definitely be wrong, I usually find something to be entertained by. The second one, perhaps oddly, has more memorable jokes I can remember and actually find mildly enjoyable.

I think I'm going to sit and watch it through tomorrow for the first time in about 15 years and see if I'm actually just a big cunt.

MikkiDisco

My son not finding this remotely funny when I showed him it at around the same age I was when I first saw it remains one of my most disappointing moments as a father. 

neveragain

Quote from: madhair60 on July 07, 2020, 11:33:41 PM
I don't like it at all. Well, I should rephrase that. I don't find it funny in the slightest, I think it's aggressively unfunny in fact and I'm fairly convinced most of its reputation is based on people seeing it as kids. It's the way that some of it is played straight but other stuff gets big HUH WHAT THAT'S WEIRD reactions, it just doesn't work, it drains the comedy away for me.

Then whenever I go and look up clips of it, convinced I must definitely be wrong, I usually find something to be entertained by. The second one, perhaps oddly, has more memorable jokes I can remember and actually find mildly enjoyable.

I think I'm going to sit and watch it through tomorrow for the first time in about 15 years and see if I'm actually just a big cunt.

It's fine you not liking it but don't assume anyone that does is labouring under some mass delusion. Also, I can't think of any moments where the cast do "oh that's weird" reactions.

madhair60

"I take it black, like my men" springs to mind.

Hahaha black like my men. Fuck-ing christ

Edit: sorry, sorry. i do this every Airplane thread. it's over now. I'm finished.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I'm not sure how you could dislike Airplane and remotely enjoy any of the deadpan comedies that followed. Which is really sad to think about.

C_Larence

They reference this line in Scary Movie 3. Leslie Nielsen says it to the two leads, but it doesn't make sense and is just there for the sake of being a reference. He also has a really pronounced lisp in that movie and I don't remember that being the case in Airplane.

madhair60

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 07, 2020, 11:56:32 PM
I'm not sure how you could dislike Airplane and remotely enjoy any of the deadpan comedies that followed. Which is really sad to think about.

I don't know which films you mean so I can't really comment

bgmnts

Not a fan of Airplane!

I don't think I like any David Zucker film actually, maybe Phonebooth.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Alberon on July 06, 2020, 09:30:57 AM
I could fill this thread with gifs.

You can see Lloyd Bridges' jaw muscles tensing up to keep a straight face.

Attila

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 06, 2020, 03:49:13 AM
Very sharp writing as well, it's not easy to do gag after gag after gag without it feeling relentless.

Huge fan of the inane reactionary TV talking head: "they bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into - I say, let 'em crash!"

The talking heads are a parody of a pair of debaters from 60 Minutes -- Saturday Night Live also parodied them (which is where the 'Jane, you ignorant slut' catchphrase comes from.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/60_Minutes#%22Point/Counterpoint%22_segment

As for 'I speak jive' -- people of a certain age (ie, geriatric ex-Americans like me) would have found her even funnier as of course she's played by Barbara Billingsley, aka June Cleaver from Leave it to Beaver

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_Cleaver

She represented the whitest, mommist lady on TV -- the housewife who did the housework in pearls and high heels, and left all of the family crisis to dad to resolve when he came home from his mysterious job (I don't think it was ever stated what he did). Crisis in the Cleaver household could be stuff like, 'One of the sons wants to paint his bedroom purple.'

See also: 'Ward. weren't you a little hard on the Beaver last night?'

Airplane is awash with a lot of then-familiar TV stars in opposition to their usual character type (already discussed with Nielson, Stack, Bridges, &c).

Also: agreed -- Shatner's cameo in Airplane II is worth the entire film.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Attila on July 08, 2020, 10:16:11 AM
As for 'I speak jive'

"You know what they say - see a broad to get dat booty yak em..."
"Leg er down a smack em yak em!"
"Col got to be, y'know?"
"She-iiiiiiiiit."

I know that whole exchange verbatim - I used to rewind it back and watch it over and over and over again from about the age of 8 or 9 until my mid to late teens.  I've probably watched that single sequence more than any film.

Attila

It's a brilliant exchange.

I was 14 when Airplane came out, & recall being breathless from laughter (and having a bit of a crush on Robert Hayes).

Shaky

I simply can't conceive of the sort of mind that doesn't find Airplane funny. Fucking baffling. Pure "hot take" nonsense.

Custard

Unless they're eastern european

Yeah, I wouldn't trust anyone who didn't find at least some of it funny. It's non stop brilliant jokes and great physical comedy FFS

FFS!

madhair60

Quote from: Shaky on July 09, 2020, 03:05:29 AM
I simply can't conceive of the sort of mind that doesn't find Airplane funny. Fucking baffling. Pure "hot take" nonsense.

It really isn't that big of a deal that I don't like the same film as you

Custard

IT IS AND I THINK YOU SHOULD RETHINK YOUR BEHAVIOUR IMMEDIATELY

peanutbutter

I tried watching it when I was 14, it reminded me of scary movie 3.

I'll give it a try some time again I'm sure but I think the eagerness of it to stuff in jokes wherever they can  seemingly regardless of quality will bug me.

kittens

just watched it for the first time cos i reckoned it would be shit and it would be fun to come in this thread and say it was shit. but sadly it was pretty good. some fairly racist stuff in it but how can you expect people from the past to know racism is bad. solid 3 stars (this indicates i found the film to be GOOD).

idunnosomename

I think it is funny but it should really be called Aeroplane! because thats how its spelt. Cheers

Blumf

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 10, 2020, 10:13:01 AM
I think it is funny but it should really be called Aeroplane! because thats how its spelt. Cheers

It's about a plane that flies in the air, not through bubbly chocolate!

Ferris

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 10, 2020, 10:13:01 AM

A hand tool for bubbly chocolate?

Captain Z

I had a bad experience showing this to some mates during our first year at uni. The Naked Gun was on TV and everyone was enjoying it so I mentioned Airplane! and was surprised that none of them had even heard of it. I promised it was equally as good, if not slightly funnier in my opinion, and that I'd bring the tape back for us all to watch after the Christmas break. As you can guess, everyone sat through it in pretty much stone cold silence before mercifully something else came up, we paused it, drfited away and never resumed.

the science eel

I don't like it much but it's better than Spinal Tap and Holy Grail, both of which are rubb.

It's not as good as Withnail or The Producers or maybe Animal House.

It's about on a par with Superbad. Or maybe that's better.

The best bit is whatsisface standing and the photo on the wall behind him is the same pose. That's great. And the bar fight scene.