Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,464
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:22:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I just want to tell you both good luck, we're all counting on you

Started by Keebleman, June 27, 2020, 06:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: the science eel on July 10, 2020, 05:47:56 PM
Spinal Tap and Holy Grail, both of which are rubb.

It's about on a par with Superbad. Or maybe that's better.

Crikey. With a post like that I just want to say good luck we're all counting on you.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The thermostat must be broken. These takes are just too hot.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Attila on July 08, 2020, 10:16:11 AM
The talking heads are a parody of a pair of debaters from 60 Minutes -- Saturday Night Live also parodied them (which is where the 'Jane, you ignorant slut' catchphrase comes from.)
Zucker Abrahams and Zucker also did that bit (possibly with the same actor) was in "Kentucky Fried Movie".

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

madhair60

Christ even I wouldn't go that far. I just don't find Airplane funny! That's all! I don't even know why, I quite like some of the other ZAZ stuff.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: madhair60 on July 08, 2020, 12:07:39 AM
I don't know which films you mean so I can't really comment

Quotesome of the other ZAZ stuff.

And also the films Shaolin Soccer, Unforgiven and The Legend of Bagger Vance

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Top Secret! is miles funnier than Airplane.

I'm sorry, but this is quite simply the case.

sirhenry

Dropshadow

Yep, the two Aeroplane films are classics, but let's not forget the just-as-silly "The Big Bus" which preceded them by a couple of years.

The co-pilot who faints - while driving - at regular intervals and the onboard lounge pianist (the keyboardist from the Blues Brothers) who merrily sings "We're going to crash" as they're about to crash always crack me up.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074205/reference
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Bus

Blumf

Quote from: Dropshadow on July 13, 2020, 12:07:32 AM
Yep, the two Aeroplane films are classics, but let's not forget the just-as-silly "The Big Bus" which preceded them by a couple of years.

Watch it, he's got a broken milk carton!

Not as good as Airplane, can get dull in places, but enough nice bits to make it worth watching at least once.

Famous Mortimer

It's been a while since I saw The Big Bus, but I remember it as being not all that funny.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Blumf on July 13, 2020, 12:43:03 AM
Not as good as Airplane, can get dull in places, but enough nice bits to make it worth watching at least once.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 13, 2020, 01:54:49 AM
It's been a while since I saw The Big Bus, but I remember it as being not all that funny.

Agreed.  It's...fine, but should never really be mentioned in the same company as Airplane and Top Secret.  Similar to how Silver Streak should never really be mentioned in the same company as the other Pryor/Wilder films.

Quote from: Better Midlands on July 13, 2020, 11:04:11 AM
And the Anal Intruder.

And the grenade moment.  And the big phone.  And boots on the table.  And boots on the ground.  And the moving train station.  And the shattering guard.  And backwards Peter Cushing.  SO many great visual gags in Top Secret.  And Omar Sharif is such a good sport in it as well.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 12, 2020, 10:49:29 PM
Top Secret! is miles funnier than Airplane.

I'm sorry, but this is quite simply the case.

Cant believe this even has to be stated. Pound for pound, Top Secret is the most gag-heavy, funniest film ever fillumed.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Gulftastic

I'm a big fan of Hot Shots Part Deux. Certainly has a great gag rate.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Gulftastic on July 14, 2020, 08:09:02 PM
I'm a big fan of Hot Shots Part Deux. Certainly has a great gag rate.
I also love that one - it's where I got my user text from. Much better than part 1.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: sirhenry on July 12, 2020, 11:10:03 PM
And has better songs (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSiAJRrF_G8).

I love that first song. Yeah, it's just half a dozen Beach Boys songs mashed together, hardly Neil Innes, but all done in the best possible taste with such a sense of fun, fun, fun.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 14, 2020, 10:02:17 PM
I also love that one - it's where I got my user text from.

That's the best delivered line of the whole film, so fucking good. I really need to rewatch the Hot Shots movies, they were the last Abraham movies I remember really enjoying.

Gulftastic

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on July 15, 2020, 06:54:18 AM
That's the best delivered line of the whole film, so fucking good. I really need to rewatch the Hot Shots movies, they were the last Abraham movies I remember really enjoying.

Famous Mortimer is bang on about the second being the better film

Famous Mortimer

If we're wandering on to "movies that are quite a bit like Airplane", I just watched Young Doctors In Love last night. Pretty good! A few badly aged gags, but the pace of them is impressive. And the cast! Michael McKean, Harry Dean Stanton, Sean Young, Saul Rubinek, Hector Elizondo, Michael Richards, Taylor Negron, a very young Demi Moore...

Blumf

Aw crap, Hot Shots is on the Sony Movies channel right now, followed up with Part Deux!

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Blumf on July 18, 2020, 04:07:01 PM
Aw crap, Hot Shots is on the Sony Movies channel right now, followed up with Part Deux!

Both will be cut, Part Deux especially.  They'll be the TV edits of the original BBFC cut versions, so double cut.

Blumf

Yeah, spotted a few already and I wasn't even looking for them.

Shit Good Nose

If it's the same daytime TV edit that's been on ITV, 5 and BBC1, Part Deux will be missing something like 4 to 6 minutes (about 2 to 3 minutes of that being the BBFC cuts of the theatrical and home video versions). 

Best off getting the 12 rated DVD re-releases or blu rays - fully uncut.  Avoid the PG rated ones at all costs.