Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,483
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:17:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I don’t believe in Magic Eyes

Started by touchingcloth, June 27, 2020, 09:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

There's been some talk about the footie ball in 0bvious Th!ngs, and it has reminded me of when I had a Panino sticker book in about 1996 which had a Magic Eye drawing on one of the inside covers.

I couldn't see them then, I can't see them now and I've not been able to see them at any point in between, so the only rational conclusion is that they're bollocks and don't exist, a practical joke maintained for 25 years plus by wankers.

You?

Head Gardener

agreed, never seen anything in them ever, it's must a giant joke on us with the wrong eyes

shiftwork2

I had an epiphany in my mate's flat.  Definitely real, definitely stereoscopic.

touchingcloth

Quote from: shiftwork2 on June 27, 2020, 10:15:32 PM
I had an epiphany in my mate's flat.  Definitely real, definitely stereoscopic.

Prove it, lie cunt.

idunnosomename

i dont believe in the cross eye ones but if you cant do the wall-eyed ones wtf they're easy

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

the very first one I managed to see was called Chainsaw Teddy. It was amazing.

EDIT: https://www.deviantart.com/elneo/art/Magic-Eye-Teddy-566083

Sean Ymphs

This is the easiest and most effective one I've seen (I won't embed it as you need to see the full thing in a decent size):

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/35/1e/e5/351ee53691aaa3dbbf8cb455e53cdc89.jpg

Just go slightly cross-eyed and the picture should start to pop out. You should then be able to focus your eyes so it appears more distinctly as a 3D image.

Most other magic eyes I've seen just tend to have a boring cut-out effect.

If you hold your hand in front of your face and let your eyes unfocus, you can sort of see two see through hands.
I remember them working like that.
Like the two see through sides of the picture would cross over each other in the middle and wow, maybe that was the vague outline of an elephant or whatever?

When you get sad sometimes and you just lose the will to focus your eyes on things, maybe they could have little magic eye pictures on the back of boxes of tablets saying your hair looks lovely, things like that.

touchingcloth

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on June 27, 2020, 10:45:36 PM
If you hold your hand in front of your face and let your eyes unfocus, you can sort of see two see through hands.
I remember them working like that.
Like the two see through sides of the picture would cross over each other in the middle and wow, maybe that was the vague outline of an elephant or whatever?

When you get sad sometimes and you just lose the will to focus your eyes on things, maybe they could have little magic eye pictures on the back of boxes of tablets saying your hair looks lovely, things like that.

I can do this with my hand and unfocused eyes, but doing the same thing on a MagicEye I just see a transparent image with twice the blurriness.

Sebastian Cobb

The books have a legend of what it looks like if you see it. Just look at that and get on with your life.

Brian Freeze

Is it three dolphins? Larking about?

Icehaven

They're real. They've got them on the staircase walls in the studio my band uses, and many's the time I've had to fall over people standing staring at them, bloody stupid place to put them.

Many years ago when messing about with desktop displays was still novel and entertaining I realised if you put it on tile setting so you end up with a repeated pattern, if you look at it like a magic eye then it sort of goes 3D. Doesn't have a picture within it like magic eye does, but it has a depth. Something to do with the repeating pattern probably.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 27, 2020, 10:39:10 PM
the very first one I managed to see was called Chainsaw Teddy. It was amazing.

EDIT: https://www.deviantart.com/elneo/art/Magic-Eye-Teddy-566083
took me a while to work out what it was (well, a lot of clues) but thats v nice

Cloud

They're real and once I learned to do them I ended up doing it to spot the repeating patterns in wallpapers and carpets and also cross eyed mode makes Spot the Difference stupidly easy.  Your brain literally just sees all the differences as sort of "there and not there at the same time"

Ambient Sheep

They're definitely real for me, but apparently about 1 in 10 people can never see them due to the ways their eyes work.  Yeah I know, that was scientific, wasn't it?

Loads here in this excellent article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autostereogram

In particular, those with amblyopia (aka "lazy eye") or who had certain visual impairments in early childhood (even if now corrected) will never be able to see them. :-(

P.S. Even though I'm normally ace at doing them, I've been finding them a bit tricky to do on a phone screen just now.  Needs to be bigger than that, really.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

100% of people who think squirt is cum believe in magic eye

steve98

Hate these dam poofy things; never been able to do them.

JesusAndYourBush

I remember them being all over the papers around 25 years ago.  With a lot of staring and squinting I could see them, but it wasn't worth the effort.

Dewt

I discovered recently that it's not normal to be able to unfocus your vision at will (or at least, not everybody can do it). That's probably why some people struggle with Magic Eyes. I'm really good at them. There's a trick to it, but you have to be able to do the unfocusing-at-will thing.

Blur your eyes so you see two images that separate. The Magic Eye will have two points in it that correlate with each other when you do this. The images will separate but these two points will match up. Getting those aligned is the sweet spot for seeing the rest of the image.

The ones with big patterns are easier than the random dot ones. Blur your eyes so that two of the same cyclists overlap. Then the rest of the image should come into focus so that all the cyclists appear at various depths.

idunnosomename

get out of the fucking road you cunts

Ferris

I thought "Right you cunts!" about 10 years ago and sat in my room for about 2 hours looking at the bastards until... oh my god... is that..?! It is!! Fuuuuuuck!!!!

I'm dead good at them now, but it was a frustrating few hours forcing myself to learn.

They're not worth the effort.

steve98

I was like that with spoon-bending back in the 70s: concentrate like fuck in a darkened room for hours, rubbing away at the sweet spot, until: JfC it's BENDING! I've got the power. But no, you switch the light on and it's not bent at all.

ProvanFan

Twonty Gostelow

John Lennon considers... and so on and so forth.

I've never seen a Magic Eye pic. "Seriously? Nothing? You need to give it more time, relax your eye muscles, it's counter-intuitive, try not looking for it." 
No. Go away, and take your chess board and jigsaw with you.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 28, 2020, 12:10:25 AM
100% of people who think squirt is cum believe in magic eye

ambyoitsjustpeea

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Sean Ymphs on June 27, 2020, 10:41:32 PM
This is the easiest and most effective one I've seen (I won't embed it as you need to see the full thing in a decent size):

Just go slightly cross-eyed and the picture should start to pop out. You should then be able to focus your eyes so it appears more distinctly as a 3D image.

There's an even easier one in that collection. Just cross your eyes until the dots at the bottom are overlaid then look up at the image:

Dewt

Quote from: Sean Ymphs on June 27, 2020, 10:41:32 PM

Most other magic eyes I've seen just tend to have a boring cut-out effect.
This is probably not a good beginner one because it's one of the ones you need to go cross-eyed for instead of boss-eyed. It works either way but if you do boss-eyed it's all inverted.

Alberon

It's so more easier for me to go cross-eyed that I can't help but see most of them in reverse. Instead of standing 'above' the image it recesses into it.