Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:29:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I don’t believe in Magic Eyes

Started by touchingcloth, June 27, 2020, 09:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewt

Here's a fun thing to try to 'spice up' your Magic Eye viewing experience: tune in the Magic image to your eyeball set, and then try slowly closing one eye but keeping the image visible to your brain when it's fully-closed.

God I love Magic Eye, me

Once at school a girl had a Magic Eye book and I said "I can do all of these pretty much instantly" and a group of girls flocked to me as I tore through the pages. "Dolphin, guitar, chess piece". They were fully in love with me by the time I got to "various fish". They probably think about this every day, I shouldn't wonder. So be careful; there's a responsibility that comes with Magic Eye prowess. There are probably marriages now that are teetering on the precipice if not already ruined by "what could have been" thoughts because of that one cocky morning in 1998.

Alberon

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 27, 2020, 10:39:10 PM
the very first one I managed to see was called Chainsaw Teddy. It was amazing.

EDIT: https://www.deviantart.com/elneo/art/Magic-Eye-Teddy-566083

With the cross-eyed method, like the camel, I can see them pin sharp. The other type, like the one above, I need my reading glasses and need to be a lot closer to focus. With a lot more effort I can finally see the Chainsaw Teddy un-reversed.

Try this one. It's a cross-eyed video. It takes a bit of effort, and best not to view fullscreen on a monitor, but it looks amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzyjLtzPDNw

PlanktonSideburns

Belming at bus seats for the prize of shapes

We deserve global warming

Paul Calf

About 35 years after seeing my first one, I've only just realised that there are two types: divergent and vergent. With one, you focus behind the image and with the other, in front of it.

It's not just a case of getting the technique right either. You have to teach your brain to see it.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Sean Ymphs on June 27, 2020, 10:41:32 PM
This is the easiest and most effective one I've seen (I won't embed it as you need to see the full thing in a decent size):

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/35/1e/e5/351ee53691aaa3dbbf8cb455e53cdc89.jpg

Just go slightly cross-eyed and the picture should start to pop out. You should then be able to focus your eyes so it appears more distinctly as a 3D image.

Most other magic eyes I've seen just tend to have a boring cut-out effect.

This is the first magic eye I've got, thaanks. It depressed me not being able to do them when I was younger and I feel this could be a new start for everything.

BlodwynPig

Can't see any of them, my eyes are fucked after glaucoma and cataracts, I can see something appearing but cannot make the 3D images out

NoSleep

This is the easiest and most effective one I've seen (I won't embed it as you need to see the full thing in a decent size):

Just go slightly cross-eyed and the picture should start to pop out. You should then be able to focus your eyes so it appears more distinctly as a 3D image.

I can easily do most magic eye pics and they usually reveal a 3D image set in the foreground. This one I can only see in "reverse" i.e. the central image is hollowed out and the "background" is foremost.

It must work on a different technique than the usual ones. Generally you have to relax your eyes to see past the picture, like you're looking into the distance.

BlodwynPig

christ, I got the camel one immediately and couldn't unsee it - first one ever.

NoSleep

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on June 28, 2020, 08:36:09 AM
This is the first magic eye I've got, thaanks. It depressed me not being able to do them when I was younger and I feel this could be a new start for everything.
Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 28, 2020, 09:12:40 AM
christ, I got the camel one immediately and couldn't unsee it - first one ever.

This must work by crossing the eyes, as if you're looking at something closer to you than where the image is actually is in your field of view.

The way normal magic eye pictures work is the opposite. If you view your thumb at arm's length in front of you but focus on an object beyond your thumb, you see two thumbs side by side. That's what you must try to do when looking at a magic eye picture; don't look at it, look beyond.

timebug

I couldn't see the bloody things for ages. Tried every method suggested and dismissed them as utter bollocks. Until... one sunday I was visiting my Dad, and he had a Sunday paper (Possibly News of the Screws before...y'know!) and it had a Magic Eye pic on a page they devoted to puzzles and games etc. I just stared at the bastard in frustration, knowing it was bollocks, and suddenly it leapt into focus and I was actually seeing it. After that, I had no problem.It was like my brain had grasped the principle of making my eyes unfocus/defocus to the right place. I even found a few books of them cheap in The Works and so far as I know, I probably still have them. So yeah, they DO work, but I understand the frustration of those who can't get it to do so!

spaghetamine

Still can't see any of these, clearly shit for cunts

Zetetic

Used to believe in them, but this thread has put me off the idea.

kittens

made one work once. trying the ones in thsi thread is making me think it is all fake. "just go cross eyed and look at the picture." these two things are mutually exclusive. when i am cross eyed i am looking at my nose. like saying just stand on two legs while standing on one leg. "look through the image." again this is meaningless and not possible. i havent had a smoke for 2 and a half days. fuck this

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: NoSleep on June 28, 2020, 09:24:01 AM
This must work by crossing the eyes, as if you're looking at something closer to you than where the image is actually is in your field of view.

The way normal magic eye pictures work is the opposite. If you view your thumb at arm's length in front of you but focus on an object beyond your thumb, you see two thumbs side by side. That's what you must try to do when looking at a magic eye picture; don't look at it, look beyond.

I think there's actually 2 ways that can get magic eyes to work and which one you employ determines whether the 3d object appears in front or behind the picture itself.

madhair60

I don't think I am even capable of crossing my eyes

here4glinner

holy shit, 32 years old and I've just got my first ever magic eye.

I thought it might be because of my short-sightedness I never got one, and I had laser eye surgery in 2019 so it might be to do with that too, maybe

here4glinner

Quote from: Paul Calf on June 28, 2020, 08:14:21 AM
https://i.imgur.com/faNLCQV.jpeg
Heh.

I can get some kind of texture in this one, too! Like a cylindrical thing. I don't know what it's supposed to be but it's definitely something! I think that earlier one cured me. Amazing.

edit: reverse-image searched and I can see what I'm supposed to be seeing, although it's not anywhere near as spectacular as the real thing

Icehaven

Paul Calf

Quote from: Paul Calf on June 28, 2020, 08:09:06 AM
About 35 years after seeing my first one, I've only just realised that there are two types: divergent and vergent. With one, you focus behind the image and with the other, in front of it.

It's not just a case of getting the technique right either. You have to teach your brain to see it.

olliebean

They do work, but not a single bloody one of them is worth the headache you give yourself looking at it.

NoSleep

Quote from: Paul Calf on June 28, 2020, 02:21:07 PM

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Don't understand the appeal of these things at all. Just don't know what people see in 'em.

( Picture of Tim Vine)

Dex Sawash

Replies From View

I remember when there were art gallery displays of Magic Eye pictures, and then a bit later some books came out with them in, and then the craze swiftly died out soon after that.   

I recall being in an Magic Eye art exhibition as a teenager with my parents, and I had a sense that I could see vague cut out shapes in the pictures, but I lied that they were much better than that and I advised my parents how to de-focus their eyes and they fell for it, they tried for ages and couldn't do them.  I can now reveal though that they are bollocks and even though I half-believed it I was mostly bullshitting because of some kind of Emperor's New Clothes impulse mixed with pareidolia.

Kudos to everyone keeping the lie going.  Always nice to have a Mornington Crescent on the go but yeah - it's all bollocks and everyone knows it really apart from the frustrated people who feel they are missing out.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Replies From View on June 28, 2020, 03:28:58 PM
I remember when there were art gallery displays of Magic Eye pictures, and then a bit later some books came out with them in, and then the craze swiftly died out soon after that.   

I recall being in an Magic Eye art exhibition as a teenager with my parents, and I had a sense that I could see vague cut out shapes in the pictures, but I lied that they were much better than that and I advised my parents how to de-focus their eyes and they fell for it, they tried for ages and couldn't do them.  I can now reveal though that they are bollocks and even though I half-believed it I was mostly bullshitting because of some kind of Emperor's New Clothes impulse mixed with pareidolia.

Kudos to everyone keeping the lie going.  Always nice to have a Mornington Crescent on the go but yeah - it's all bollocks and everyone knows it really apart from the frustrated people who feel they are missing out.

That's a bit of a shit thing to do to people who genuinely can't see them.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: icehaven on June 28, 2020, 12:12:21 PM
Sincerely wish I couldn't see them now.

what are they? I just see a load of people sticking their tongues out and riding on the shoulders of the people below. 3D but it looks just like the image, I see nothing else.

Oh, and I see people are keeping up the age old tradition of not spoiling the reveal.

Just fucking spoil the reveal.

Head Gardener

Replies From View

Quote from: Paul Calf on June 28, 2020, 04:18:12 PM
That's a bit of a shit thing to do to people who genuinely can't see them.

Not when the entire thing is a practical joke, like Morning Crescent.  The point is to stand there pretending to see something and try to con others into joining in, until they start trying to con other people in turn.  In that context I can't promise that my parents weren't having me on by pretending that they were trying to see them.  I reckon it was a multi-way prank.

The joke was on me because I ended up buying one of the flipping Magic Eye books in a discount bookshop.  My parents never did that.

Replies From View

I don't believe in Magic Eyes.

All together now: