Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:10:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dr Disrespect #cancelled [split topic]

Started by Jim_MacLaine, June 27, 2020, 10:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_MacLaine

Not worth starting a new thread for but watching Zafarcakes stream yesterday I saw in the comments that it looks like Dr Disrespect may be about to be cancelled. Banned from Twitch for something apparently 'very serious'. Never watched him myself.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2020/06/27/why-was-dr-disrespect-banned-on-twitch-everything-known-so-far/#734fee302a16

Oh dear.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

chveik

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on June 27, 2020, 10:09:56 PM
Not worth starting a new thread for but watching Zafarcakes stream yesterday I saw in the comments that it looks like Dr Disrespect may be about to be cancelled. Banned from Twitch for something apparently 'very serious'. Never watched him myself.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2020/06/27/why-was-dr-disrespect-banned-on-twitch-everything-known-so-far/#734fee302a16

Oh dear.

zafarcakes is great isn't he? thanks to the lads in the limmy thread for mentionning him.

anyway never heard of this guy but he sounds like a wrong 'un

BritishHobo

Dipping my toes into the Twitter discussions on this was like peeking behind a curtain I'm very glad to be on the other side of. Just hundreds and hundreds of comments of people vehemently defending their viewpoint on whether he should have been banned, even though Twitch hadn't actually said what he was banned for. Just everyone arguing the positions they knew they were gonna hold anyway.

Marner and Me

Never really got why people watch people play computer games. Surely he can just log back in as a different user name?

C_Larence

Quote from: Marner and Me on June 27, 2020, 11:50:55 PM
Never really got why people watch people play computer games. Surely he can just log back in as a different user name?

Same, reminds me of being at friends' houses and taking turns playing spyro or whatever, until inevitably the pass the controller when you die rule stops applying to them. But at least that was a real relationship and not parasocial. Anyway, only other time I've heard about this guy is when he streamed from inside a public toilet. Think he got banned from something then too, glad to see it stuck.

marquis_de_sad

People watch him because he's basically a comedy character and they find him entertaining. Regardless of what he's supposed to have done, maybe we could avoid having the same old tired boomer conversation about streaming for the 17th time on here.

Custard

It's also interesting to watch playthroughs of games you doubt you'll ever get to play yourself. For example, I watched a lengthy Last Of Us playthrough (without commentary), as I don't own a Playstation to play it myself

Some I watch more for comedic value, like when Two Best Friends and Limmy do them

Barry Admin

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on June 28, 2020, 12:25:43 AM
People watch him because he's basically a comedy character and they find him entertaining. Regardless of what he's supposed to have done, maybe we could avoid having the same old tired boomer conversation about streaming for the 17th time on here.

Yeah I totally get why people enjoy it. I don't bother much myself though, beyond watching GiggleAutumn sometimes - glad to see she's moved to Twitch now with Mixer going down the shiter. Astonishingly good Caustic main, I study her streams and clips for tips and general inspiration. And I do mean study.

Seen some DrDisrepect before; a very interesting stream where he was going through all the CoD: Advanced Warfare maps he'd helped design. Sounds like he's done some proper bad shit though, very intrigued by this story for sure.

bgmnts

I think the main worry is the parasocial element of it. I noticed a while back, as far back as like my late teens, that I only really did podcasts or youtube gaming channels was because the co hosts were good friends and you felt a part of that friendship, due to a lack of friendship in my real life.

I didn't think that was healthy then, I don't think its healthy now.

Dewt

I only learned about his existence via this story but it has been fascinating reading people's theories and in particular watching this video of his final stream, which ended with him saying "FUCK!" and disappearing suddenly after a few minutes of what anybody who regularly dissociates will recognise as dissociation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGww9fTRmqk

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Dewt on June 28, 2020, 01:11:34 AM
I only learned about his existence via this story but it has been fascinating reading people's theories and in particular watching this video of his final stream, which ended with him saying "FUCK!" and disappearing suddenly after a few minutes of what anybody who regularly dissociates will recognise as dissociation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGww9fTRmqk

I've not watched him for a while, but I'm familiar enough with him to know that he's behaving atypically in that clip. He looks incredibly tense, like he's holding back emotions with great difficulty. Very odd. The shouting ("WAKE UP!") and pretending his wife is holding a knife is part of the schtick, but the other stuff and his general demeanour, not so much.

That he was talking about David Icke of all people is going to keep the conspiracy theorists going for ages.

Barry Admin

1:55 for him pulling out his phone. Saw the 30 second clip in the OP, amazing to see the rest.

marquis_de_sad

The donator who had his name read out (DangerCop) has clarified that he just sent Doc an 8-bit graphic (see link). DangerCop also claimed to have received a generic-sounding message from Doc's wife on instagram that said, "Thank you so much for your concern, we are fine and really appreciate your concern, we hope you and your loved ones are all doing well".

Obviously I know as much as anyone else (which is nothing) but I'm not sure his wife would be sticking by him if it was some cancellation-type thing. The idea that Twitch decided he broke contract with them, maybe by trying to set up a Twitch alternative with Ninja and Shroud is plausible, but Doc has been quite vocally critical of Mixer. Possibly this has something to do with the COVID conspiracies (including 5G bullshit) that Doc was sharing earlier this month. If that was the case though, I don't know why Twitch wouldn't share their reasons.

Twitch being silent on this makes it seem like a legal thing, which gives credence to the breach-of-contract theory. Perhaps his vocal loyalty to Twitch was just a smokescreen. I guess we'll find out on Monday.

marquis_de_sad

Update:

Quote from: @drdisrespectTwitch has not notified me on the specific reason behind their decision... Firm handshakes to all for the support during this difficult time.

(link)

If this is true, then it's very odd.

Neomod

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on June 28, 2020, 02:35:31 PM
If this is true, then it's very odd.

Maybe it's a mistake and they meant to ban Professor Scorn instead?

Barry Admin

Intriguing if true. Business is business, but sounds like he's a two-faced leeching Judas cunt who has to trade on the hard work and reputation of others.

marquis_de_sad

Yeah I linked to that screenshot above. Don't really understand your comment though. He's famous in his own right. And a Judas? Against who? Twitch? Who gives a shit.

Mister Six

Yeah breaking contract is a bad idea on a personal level because he might get sued to fuck, but "Judas"? It's not healthy to view Amazon subsidiaries (or any corporate entity) as something worthy of loyalty or respect - all they give a fuck about is $$$$$.

Puce Moment

He's fucking over Twitch?

Noooooooo...not twitch!

madhair60

marquis_de_sad

Update of sorts from a few days ago. The Washington Post have talked to Beam, who is still claiming not to know the reason behind the ban, and Twitch isn't saying anything either. All very strange.

He also claims that his final stream was unrelated to the ban, and that he was just venting about the difficult time the world is going through.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/07/16/dr-disrespect-is-speaking-again/

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: bgmnts on July 21, 2020, 01:51:38 AM
Is this a stunt?

It's a possibility. If it was any company other than Twitch it would be hard to believe that they would handle things like this.

Kelvin

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on July 21, 2020, 01:45:14 AM
Update of sorts from a few days ago. The Washington Post have talked to Beam, who is still claiming not to know the reason behind the ban, and Twitch isn't saying anything either. All very strange.

He also claims that his final stream was unrelated to the ban, and that he was just venting about the difficult time the world is going through.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/07/16/dr-disrespect-is-speaking-again/

If it was just anxiety about the world, why did he end by shouting "fuck!", then cutting the stream?

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Kelvin on July 21, 2020, 02:04:09 PM
If it was just anxiety about the world, why did he end by shouting "fuck!", then cutting the stream?

Well, his anxiety about the world was being informed by his reading of David Icke. And he shouts "fuck" a lot. Also, the last time something bad happened while he was streaming - someone shot out the upstairs window of his house - he completely broke character and took the wig off and everything.

I'm not saying the version of events he gave to the Post is definitely true, I just don't think it's implausible. And I don't see what he loses or gains either way if people think the last moments of the stream are related to this situation or not.

Kelvin

Fair enough, I've never watched him outside of a few clips, so it's not for me to say.

I don't see how the whole thing is a promo stunt, though. Isn't he threatening to sue Twitch? Can't see that being something they've agreed between them, and if it was a one-sided stunt, and he hadn't actually been kicked off, you assume Twitch would have said so by now. Odd timing too, when there's all the Metoo stuff going on in the gaming world. You wouldn't choose to get associated with that.

Chedney Honks

I just can't understand why anyone would watch someone else playing games. It makes no sense.

Consignia

A cheaper alternative game streaming YouTubers is to sit on your hands until they go numb, and the play a game. It's pretty much the same thing.

kalowski

Quote from: Chedney Honks on July 21, 2020, 03:02:41 PM
I just can't understand why anyone would watch someone else playing games. It makes no sense.
To make matters worse, in the two seconds of the clip I watched, he appeared to be playing Roblox.