Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:07:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Best Cat and Mouse Road Movies

Started by Peru, June 28, 2020, 09:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peru

Which are the best cat-and-mouse road movies? I've been watching a few recently including Duel, Breakdown, Joy Ride, Roadgames and Race With The Devil. This seems to be primarily a US and Aussie genre, presumably because of the capacity to get horribly lost. Any other recommendations?

Replies From View

That Tom and Jerry one where they are pals and they talk.

SavageHedgehog

Butchers Blind

There's the one due for whenever release with Russell Crowe going mental in a vehicle and chasing some woman.

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on June 28, 2020, 09:46:43 AM

The Fast and The Furry Mouse. It was right there staring them in the face.

bgmnts

Puce Moment

I do love a road movie, and I also really love a cat and mouse story!

How about these:

Duel - Spielberg's excellent and very tense early work (also Catch me if you Can although not strictly a road movie)

Vanishing Point - impossibly cool chase film

Convoy - Kristofferson on the run from the authorities in his truck!

famethrowa

What's the movie with a creepy trucker on the CB looking for "Candy Cane"? Only saw it once but it seemed pretty good.

another Mr. Lizard

A rare British example is HUSH (2008) directed by ex radio DJ Mark Tonderai. Also try NIGHT CALL (1977), a 27-minute Driver's Ed-style public information film, available on the BFI Player. Other British road movies which might appeal if you're seeking sinister/horror/thriller stuff, but which don't adhere strictly to the cat & mouse template, would include BUTTERFLY KISS and TAKE AN EASY RIDE.

Couple of good made-for-TV US movies too - DEATH CAR ON THE FREEWAY (1979), WHEELS OF TERROR (1990)

another Mr. Lizard

Quote from: famethrowa on June 28, 2020, 03:43:28 PM
What's the movie with a creepy trucker on the CB looking for "Candy Cane"? Only saw it once but it seemed pretty good.

That's JOY RIDE, mentioned in the OP. Released as ROADKILL in the UK in 2002.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Does The Blues Brothers count? It's basically a Roadrunner cartoon in which Aykroyd and Belushi are constantly pursued by the cops, the national guard, some Nazis, Carrie Fisher with a bazooka and a country and western band. The last half hour of the film consists of an absurdly OTT car chase, although they never cross the Illinois state line so I guess it's not technically a road movie.

Shit Good Nose

The original Day of the Jackal fits the bill.

Dumb and Dumber is one of my favourites. The fact they're being chased takes a back seat to the hilarity and you forget it's technically a pursuit film.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

What about the good bit from Bullitt? Shame the rest of the film is so dull.

Quote from: another Mr. Lizard on June 28, 2020, 03:45:52 PM
A rare British example is HUSH (2008)

Hush is a great film - definitely worth a watch.

notjosh

Quote from: Bazooka on June 28, 2020, 09:40:36 AM
The Hitcher of course.

100% this.

It's not cat-and-mouse in quite the same way, but The Hitch-Hiker is a good, taut watch. No doubt you're well aware of No Country For Old Men and Mad Max: Fury Road. And First Blood, though there is only minimal road involved.

beanheadmcginty

Smokey and the Bandit
Cannonball Run 2

Mr Banlon

Mister Six

Thirding The Hitcher. Just make sure you're watching the original with Rutger Bauer and not the pointless remake with Sean Bean.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It's not Rutger Bauer.

It's Rutger Buaer.

Mister Six

mrfridge

Breakdown probably fits the bill. 1997 thriller starring Kurt Russell. Pretty solid as far as I recall.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118771/

Quote from: mrfridge on July 03, 2020, 08:23:45 AM
Breakdown probably fits the bill. 1997 thriller starring Kurt Russell. Pretty solid as far as I recall.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118771/

Good shout, if the OP has already seen that then I'd also recommend Duel, Joy Ride, Roadgames and Race With The Devil.

Gulftastic

The Pegg/Frost  film 'Paul' fits this. I liked it a lot.

the ouch cube

The little-seen "American Perfekt", one of a wave of post-Pulp Fiction films that were often better(or at least less self-satisfied) than Pulp Fiction, is worth a look