Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:47:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Disturbing or Controversial games

Started by Kryton, June 28, 2020, 10:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiteface

Quote from: here4glinner on June 29, 2020, 02:15:09 PM
The second one was even more schizophrenic and played with ideas of mental illness even more. Definitely deliberately shocking.

Bully by Rockstar got a lot of criticism in the press too - I never played it but I hear it wasn't that bad.

Wasn't the name changed upon release or am I remembering it wrong?

I seem to recall is wasn't released under the name "Bully"

Consignia

Quote from: Spiteface on June 29, 2020, 04:14:56 PM
Wasn't the name changed upon release or am I remembering it wrong?

I seem to recall is wasn't released under the name "Bully"

Depends on the region but the PS2 version was released as "Canis Canum Edit" in Europe. Every other system and region it was Bully.

Spiteface

That must be what I'm remembering.

Kryton

Quote from: Consignia on June 29, 2020, 03:50:05 PM
Bully's bad press was all marketing really. The actual game you basically played a Bart Simpson like rebel kid, and got up to cartoon japes rather than it being a bullying simulator. I think it needed the bad press though, otherwise it wouldn't have really stood out as a game.

I've not played Manhunt, but I thought Carcer City was supposed be Detriot. A decaying post Industrial city.

Yeah it's almost certainly Detroit-like in its bleakness.

Mister Six

There's a (closed) tunnel to Carcer City in GTA3, IIRC, but I guess it's a mix of various rust belt cities.

Quote from: Consignia on June 29, 2020, 04:23:47 PM
Depends on the region but the PS2 version was released as "Canis Canum Edit" in Europe. Every other system and region it was Bully.

A pal at Rockstar reckons they did that because they knew nobody would call it by that name, and instead refer to it as Bully.

Quote from: bgmnts on June 28, 2020, 02:18:53 PM
parts of Super Mario 64

A grotesque game for sick fucks who like dropping infant penguins off bottomless ledges.

Poobum

I'll always remember Reloaded. The actual game was a bit nothing, but the character opening videos left an impression within the sweet meats of my child brains.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SzFp4WmGWw (NSFW, I watched that with the sound off, if it has a voice over loaded with n-bombs and the like, I do apologise). I mean, now it all looks try hard offensive and puerile, but at the time I was shocked and excited. Cannibal girl stimulated some nascent tingles that's for sure.

Mister Six

Quote from: Poobum on June 29, 2020, 11:56:42 PM
I'll always remember Reloaded. The actual game was a bit nothing, but the character opening videos left an impression within the sweet meats of my child brains.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SzFp4WmGWw (NSFW, I watched that with the sound off, if it has a voice over loaded with n-bombs and the like, I do apologise). I mean, now it all looks try hard offensive and puerile, but at the time I was shocked and excited. Cannibal girl stimulated some nascent tingles that's for sure.

Characters created by comic book icons Garth Ennis and Simon Bisley, IIRC. Hence the transphobic "Butch". Glinner would love that one.

Urinal Cake

Xenogears apparently made some Christians feel uncomfortable so that probably dented a PAL release.
Resident Evil 5 killing black zombies
GTA:SA and hot coffee

SMT, Persona etc always make me cringe due to the designs (Mara) or the religious appropriation (using Indian Hindu dieties) etc.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: here4glinner on June 29, 2020, 11:12:51 AM
Did you ever play it? I loved it. It was a stealth game more than anything. Rockstar don't release any old garbage, I've never played a Rockstar game I didn't like.

Yeah, I had a modded xbox and downloaded it. I played it for a bit with it but didn't really feel like sticking with it (as is often the case when you've ponced a game for free).

Whenever I see that Gal Gun pop up in a Switch sale, I always wonder if buying it gets you put on the sex offenders register. Because it should.

Sin Agog

Been playing a visual novel called Wonderful Everyday that starts off like the cutesiest, frothiest thing on the planet (albeit with a few interesting references to Cyrano de Bergerac's sci-fi writing, which was enough to keep me going), before spinning off into dark, protracted sexual deviance of every stripe mixed with shitloads of digressions about Wittgenstein.  Good game, and they 100% did that bait and switch just to disturb anyone who went into it without doing their research first even more.

bushwick

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 01, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
Whenever I see that Gal Gun pop up in a Switch sale, I always wonder if buying it gets you put on the sex offenders register. Because it should.

ah man there's loads of those fuckin anime nonce game things, they always come up when there's a sale. Not used steam for a bit but I think I just filtered em out so wouldn't see em. I would be down for 'adult' games on steam potentially but they all seem to be neckbeard beast shit.

edit: ah shit see you're talking about Switch not Steam. Steam is riddled with them weirdo joints.

Kryton

Quote from: bushwick on July 01, 2020, 06:56:38 PM
ah man there's loads of those fuckin anime nonce game things, they always come up when there's a sale. Not used steam for a bit but I think I just filtered em out so wouldn't see em. I would be down for 'adult' games on steam potentially but they all seem to be neckbeard beast shit.

edit: ah shit see you're talking about Switch not Steam. Steam is riddled with them weirdo joints.

Yeah I despise them too. Weird cutesy anime graphics with dubiously aged cartoon women with big eyes and heads. Fucking hate the fact I need to filter them out because the weird Japanese themed incel market is being pumped full of this crap.

bushwick

I remember reading a story about a controversial game in one of the tabloids when I was a kid. Might have been a Spectrum title but was that era anyway - a science fiction text adventure where you meet a female android at one point which you could rape. As a text adventure you would have to specifically type that word in, not pick it from a menu or owt. HEALTHY PROGRAMMIN, BOYS! can't remember what it's called, can't find anything on web but I haven't looked too hard - bit of a keyword minefield there...