Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:04:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sacha Baron Cohen infiltrates militia event

Started by Puce Moment, June 28, 2020, 04:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puce Moment

"Sacha Baron Cohen infiltrated the Washington 3% (local rightwing militia) event in Olympia a few minutes ago. A last-minute big donor paid to sponsor the event, and hire security... And then that security kept the organizers from getting on stage to stop Cohen. 😂"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=O5ryIztqI5g&feature=emb_title

Story here: https://www.thedailybeast.com/sacha-baron-cohen-pulls-epic-prank-on-right-wing-militia-event-in-olympia-washington

Looks like Cohen brought in his own security who stopped him from being dragged off the stage.

They did eventually chase him out, but it seems that much of the footage after with right-wing nutjobs were filmed by Cohen himself in disguise:

j_u_d_a_s

Am I the only one who's tired of this style of "satire"? It's just push-button shock rather than a crafted statement that's designed to make liberals feel a little better without rocking the boat.

Sin Agog

While I don't disagree with judas that Sacha is a man of few ideas, I did laugh at the little 'oriental sting' on the banjo as he was talking about what to do with the Chinese.

Timothy

I hope this means there is going to be a second series of Who is America. The first season was great.

McChesney Duntz

Whether or not his schtick is old hat (if he continues working with the likes of Nathan Fielder, so much the better), it warms my heart still that he's out there irritating and showing up the people that deserve to be irritated and shown up. Especially when, as in this case, he's doing it to the redneck scum who live in my state.

Sasha's done a lot of comedy that people *could* take offence to in the current climate. Is this just a way of him getting on the right side of the argument?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on June 28, 2020, 04:54:10 PM
Whether or not his schtick is old hat (if he continues working with the likes of Nathan Fielder, so much the better), it warms my heart still that he's out there irritating and showing up the people that deserve to be irritated and shown up. Especially when, as in this case, he's doing it to the redneck scum who live in my state.

Agreed. This is the right target, he's sticking to what he's good at. Maybe we will get that political bluegrass album from him but for now I guess we'll just have to deal with his raison d'être.

I'm gonna have that fucking song stuck in my head for days.

zomgmouse

H-O-W-L

Hey, if it's old but it works, y'know? I don't have the omniscience to say that this is actually socially impactful on a grand scale but I can say that these people, at least, were irritated and made to look like idiotic twats at least at the event and across the internet, and that alone makes it a worthwhile endeavour IMO. Any legitimate coverage of their stupid shithead event has been undermined by this.

Although I admire his guts, given that he's probably at some risk if he gets rumbled, he's just feeding them lyrics to repeat back. Seems like lazy shite to me.

phantom_power

It's getting them to hang themselves with their own rope. They don't have to sing them back and that they do so willingly says a lot

Yeah agreed, but it just seems such a contrived and witless way to make his point.

Armin Meiwes

If this is the limit of what he's doing then I would agree it's a bit shooting fish in a barrel but I assume there will be more to the whole thing that just this.

You'd think he'd be utterly bored of himself by now.

SavageHedgehog

That bit in Borat where he breaks all that stuff in the old couple's antique store always sticks in my mind as being needlessly cruel. Glad he's punching more in the right direction these days.

Lord Mandrake

Getting them to sing about injecting a flu they don't believe in into CNN journalists etc.. Is pretty funny.