Author Topic: Who can remember this obscure old telly ad/information film for me?  (Read 258 times)

Late 70s, maybe early 80s. Load of blokes (perhaps squaddies or firemen?) at a swimming pool training with some sort of apparatus which resembles a bus but which can be lowered into the water while they’re in it. They have to undo their seatbelts under water and swim out. Bit touch and go for some of them. Cranky old sergeant/instructor cunt says “now you get to do it all. Over. Again” to looks of chagrin from assembled traumatised trainees.

What WAS this? What was it advertising, if anything? And why would people be training to escape from a submerged bus? Is that likely to happen often, even in a military context?

Re: Who can remember this obscure old telly ad/information film for me?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 07:14:13 PM »
There's a sequence in 'An Officef And A Gentleman' which sounds bit like this.

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 07:25:32 PM »
On the Buses spin-off called Off the Buses.

Alberon

• His heart is an empty fridge
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 07:30:06 PM »
Sounds like a part of helicopter training where they teach them how to escape from one that's ditched in the sea.

Was it something like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u75A42AjYKQ

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 07:44:55 PM »
Sounds like a part of helicopter training where they teach them how to escape from one that's ditched in the sea.

Was it something like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u75A42AjYKQ

That did occur to me after I’d posted, and this is indeed the kind of caper they were up to - maybe it was a Royal Marines or Navy recruitment ad?

Lordofthefiles

• A dog with two dicks or a dick with two dogs
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 07:56:38 PM »
Bucks Fizz: All At Sea

David Van Day hijacks The Fizz's tour bus and drives it off of Brighton pier after a chase sequence featuring a cameo by Cannon and Ball's Boys in Blue

Tags: