Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,374
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:49:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bullshit you bought into

Started by peanutbutter, June 28, 2020, 11:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Financial spread betting (shorting the FTSE).

Blue Jam

holyzombiejesus

The Premier League

The cabbage soup diet

Saying outrageous near-the-knuckle things in a crappy attempt at being some kind of misanthropic Chris Morris. I think I even had a badge that said "I'm not bigoted, I hate everything" or something equally sad and pathetic. I'd make racist and homophobic comments whilst thinking I was being like Lenny Bruce. I was more Lenny Bennett. (That doesn't make sense but it made me laugh.)

Sebastian Cobb

I'm sure we've all dabbled in being a sardonic curmudgeon mate.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 29, 2020, 11:11:48 PM
I'm sure we've all dabbled in being a sardonic curmudgeon mate.

Yeah, it was more the saying of shitty things in the belief I was cutting through the bullshit rather than just trying to shock people in a rather pathetic way.

flotemysost

Went through a mercifully brief phase in my teens of having some dodgy ideas about feminism which, had I continued down that path, could have strayed dangerously close to militant 'men are men, women are women' territory (I wouldn't use the term TERF as I didn't even like the term 'feminist' at that point - I was just a self-hating misogynist, I guess).

I really can't explain why I was even entertaining that stuff, other than I had absolutely fuckawful self esteem and so rather than actually make an effort to like myself, for some reason it was easier to believe 'oh well, men like beautiful women, guess I'll never be one but it's OK because that's just BIOLOGY' and all the other very questionable stuff that came with that line of thinking.

Re: libertarianism, had a bit of a lightbulb moment when I was in my early 20s and went on a date with a guy of the same age, who described himself over email as politically libertarian - to be fair I hadn't exactly 'bought into it', I just wasn't really familiar with the term and naively assumed it meant something along the lines of 'liberal', so was probably OK.

He was perfectly nice but at some point during the date he started talking about how he didn't really agree that we should have to pay for everyone's benefits, and that just because some people are offended by certain words that doesn't mean those words should be banned for everyone, that sort of stuff.

I distinctly remember a sense of creeping horror that there were young, on the surface liberal-seeming people out there who truly believed this stuff, and more terrifyingly, many of them (such as this guy) had been freshly recruited to grad schemes for swanky private consultancies that were, at that moment, helping to decide the fate of those people on benefits, and many others. This was 2012, the country getting absolutely fucked by cuts, and I think I definitely did a mental and emotional pivot further left after that point. Didn't see the guy again.

Quote from: ProvanFan on June 29, 2020, 02:09:59 AM

Basically the foundation of my entire world view aged seven, there.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 29, 2020, 11:14:24 PM
Yeah, it was more the saying of shitty things in the belief I was cutting through the bullshit rather than just trying to shock people in a rather pathetic way.

I think we've all dabbled in edginess too, it was in vogue for a while in a way it isn't now.

I think I bought into the idea that ideology is similar to the trite saying 'you should respect a man's religion, in the same way that you should respect his wife is beautiful and his children are clever', in the way I used to have civil/world to rights conversations with an obvious massive fascist in a pub. Neither of us ever changed our positions (as in I never agreed with his bullshit and he never agreed with mine), it was calm and he was less casually racist than some of the other old boys in there. It was 'interesting' and we never really got frustrated because I think our ideas were so opposed, rather than say, arguing with a centrist. But really I don't think I should've been entertaining him and probably wouldn't have if I was moving in better/more progressive social circles to begin with (mates settling down/moving away, bored and listless going to the same pub every night, in a job I hated) or trying to actively foster better ones.

Thought reasonably hard about this - it's curious the things that a person can forget they even thought.
Especially if those things make them sound like a twat.  Had a painful rummage through the memory banks, and came up with these from my teen years alone:

Unrequited love
Gangsta rap
Alcopops
Chubby Brown
'Hoolie lit'

I'm sure there's loads more, but my cringey feelings have overloaded for now.

SpiderChrist

Voting

Ocean Colour Scene

Eating meat, fish and dairy

Cocaine

Fr.Bigley

Daft Punk

Salmon

The BBC

A decade in a relationship

Jerzy Bondov

famethrowa

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on June 30, 2020, 10:40:33 AM
Empire magazine

I'm tempted to say Q Magazine, but it was a useful resource sometimes back in the 90s. But I remember a musician friend of mine leafing thru an issue and saying to me "do you actually buy this??"