Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:25:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Those games where you slide the thing and the lava falls down

Started by Jerzy Bondov, June 29, 2020, 09:56:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jenna appleseed

The butler guy from Homescapes is now just a head & a shrug in a bowl, floating down a corridor of water, bumping into pipes, forever.

Klondyke Adventures can't decide if it's pretending to be about some cartoon sheep that nearly get massacred and or a cartoon woman sitting on the loo, screaming & crying because she didn't just get squashed to death by toilet rolls.

Kelvin

Every time I read this thread's title, it makes me smile.

BritishHobo

Someone has actually made this game, all pin-pulling levels and none of the garden/house landscaping guff. It's called 'Pull Him Out' and it's absolutely riddled with ads.

They've also made the one where yer character gets into situations and you have to choose from two objects at the bottom to get out of it, one of which arbitrarily works and one of which doesn't. There's a snarling jaguar ready to eat your protagonist, will you use a vacuum cleaner or a cake? It's called Save The Girl and it is actually SHIT. After about three levels you realise why it wasn't worth making it a full game.

The Roofdog

Now that I'm working from home where I can constantly check facebook and twitter instead of doing any work I've realised that these guys are putting out a new "level" in the shape of an ad every single day. They literally don't put that much effort into the actual game do they, it's 100% making these fake ads.

Ambient Sheep

Just found an amusing combination of their lame psychological shit on Facebook:

QuoteOnly people with IQ of 140 can find differences on lvl 72

I laughed.

I mean, it's at least reasonable (compared to "99% of people can't get to level 3" or "Only IQ 180+ can finish this game!") and had I not seen all those previous attempts it wouldn't be funny, just boring... but as it is, this ridiculously watered-down Frankenstein's monster of a slogan is just pathetic.

Blue Jam

What about those story games with the woman in the obviously unlicensed BALENCIAGA PARIS top who has to choose between dating the handsome bad boy in the motorcycle leathers or the dweeb in the suit? They look awful but also potentially inadvertently amusing. Probably all written by bitter incels though.

Blue Jam

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 13, 2020, 09:52:21 PM
I got very addicted to Two Dots. It's a terrific time killer.

Thanks for this. I am also utterly addicted to it now.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 02, 2020, 11:53:09 PM
Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 13, 2020, 09:52:21 PMI got very addicted to Two Dots. It's a terrific time killer.
Thanks for this. I am also utterly addicted to it now.

Didn't you find the aggressive advertising and obnoxious 'freemium' features pissed you off? I loved the game concept but it was just packaged up in what I consider the worst of mobile gaming, and I couldn't take much of it - so many things popping up, so many obstacles in actually letting me play the game, which is isn't a great thing for a game designed to be played. Ah, there's the thing though, many mobile games aren't designed to be played are they, they're designed to be platforms for advertising first and foremost.

I'd be great to have the game just as-is, no boosters, no 'quests'. I don't even mind a reasonable amount of advertising, such as adverts in between levels, as long as they don't try and trick me  into clicking them by hiding a minuscule X in the corner.

olliebean

Blocking them from internet access with NetGuard (ideally before running them so they don't have a chance to cache any ads) usually takes care of that.

The Mollusk

The only good mobile game that's ever been invented is Desert Golfing. Nothing will ever be as good as that game. It's cheap as fuck, plus it's probably got more longevity than any other game in existence whilst almost never repeating itself AND it's really relaxing and helps a lot with anxiety and poor focus issues. It's 10,000 holes mate. It took me about four years on and off, and I loved every god damned second of it. Legitimately felt like a beloved pet had died when I finally completed it but it was worth it. Sometimes I open the app and have a look at the kill screen just for a bit of solitude from the outside world. Best game I've ever played.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 03, 2020, 09:06:25 PM
The only good mobile game that's ever been invented is Desert Golfing. Nothing will ever be as good as that game. It's cheap as fuck, plus it's probably got more longevity than any other game in existence whilst almost never repeating itself AND it's really relaxing and helps a lot with anxiety and poor focus issues. It's 10,000 holes mate. It took me about four years on and off, and I loved every god damned second of it. Legitimately felt like a beloved pet had died when I finally completed it but it was worth it. Sometimes I open the app and have a look at the kill screen just for a bit of solitude from the outside world. Best game I've ever played.
I made it to 3773 before I encountered a level that was completely unbeatable. Let me see if I can find the picture I posted on Twitter (that inspired some debate before everyone else gave up).

I tried for hours, and eventually uncovered some of the weirder physics of the game, but I couldn't get past it. I could start again and, as it's procedurally generated past a certain point, I wouldn't encounter that level again. But it took me quite a while and I'm not sure I could cope.

EDIT: I found the photo where a kind chap on Twitter tried to help me out.

Another attempt at cracking it. It required three shots in a row of a level of accuracy I couldn't manage.

The Mollusk

Ah man they updated the app a while ago and eradicated that impossible hole! I was stuck on that one for a long time (and completely destroyed my shot average by wasting about 1000 shots on it), it was an error in the game's level-generating algorithm.

The Mollusk

Just had a look at my kill screen and it seems like I probably deleted the app between phones and had to restart, because my total shot count is 26562, making my average shots per hole a tidy 2.65 (which I'd still happily round up to 3, when you consider that taking the game seriously for every single hole and not arsing about or drunk-playing or letting my mates have a go makes me quite a dedicated little golfer).

You should restart it. I guarantee after about 100 holes you won't care about making up all that wasted time, because it's just that addicting.

Famous Mortimer

You may notice I had 6726 shots through 3773 holes, which exploited that old trick (since patched out, I think) where if you left the game and rejoined, it would reset your progress on a hole. No idea why I did it, because it's not like I was sharing screenshots all over the place. I just liked figuring out the trick of beating a hole from the start in as few strokes as possible.

I think I will have another go. It's on my phone and I'm back up to hole 174, so I didn't completely give up. 

Blue Jam

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on August 03, 2020, 08:24:25 AM
Didn't you find the aggressive advertising and obnoxious 'freemium' features pissed you off? I loved the game concept but it was just packaged up in what I consider the worst of mobile gaming, and I couldn't take much of it - so many things popping up, so many obstacles in actually letting me play the game, which is isn't a great thing for a game designed to be played.

The pop-up things are a little annoying but I don't have a problem with adverts in games (developers aren't charities) and I quite enjoy the little quests. My only beef with Two Dots is that some levels seem to be literally impossible without the use of boosts- which you have to work for, wait for, or pay for. Sneaky... In my case though it just stops me wasting too much time on the game.

Blue Jam

Has anyone played one of those story games where you play as some woman whose boyfriend cheats on her and you have to decide to FORGIVE HIM or FORGET HIM? I'm quite tempted to try one just to see if they're unintentionally funny but I imagine most of them are just a bit dull.

Ambient Sheep

I downloaded one a year or two ago, partly because it did look vaguely interesting, partly in the hope of unintentional amusement as you hoped, and partly in the hope that if I downloaded it then the constant adverts for it would frigging stop (which they did!).

I lasted about 10 minutes.  Can't even remember why now... maybe something about the amount of setting-up and character-building etc. being so tedious that I never got near an interesting part... and/or having to actually spend real money to even play the game properly.  I honestly don't quite remember, it was THAT boring.

Chedney Honks

I play every game and have genuinely no idea what these fucking lava sliding games are and it's getting wedged right in my hoof like a bottle cap between your front teeth

Most popular thread in the history of the subforum.

Jerzy Bondov

earl_sleek

Quote from: imitationleather on July 28, 2020, 06:33:55 PM
Is this ad on YouTube? I want to see it!

Sadly I couldn't find it, but I have had the ad come up again (and it is pretty much exactly how I described it), and the game is called 'Lucky Pusher - Win Big Rewards' on Google Play.

Consignia

Not sure if this is the exact Ad, I've not seen it too many times, but it's very much in the spirit of it. https://twitter.com/AnnoyingYTAds/status/1290417495803756545

earl_sleek

The Mollusk

Quote from: Mister Six on August 05, 2020, 05:02:45 PM
Gnngh, addictive.

Listen pal when you've spent four years in the desert playing golf like I have you learn to be a little less pedantic and just embrace life for what it is

imitationleather

Quote from: Consignia on August 06, 2020, 11:46:02 AM
Not sure if this is the exact Ad, I've not seen it too many times, but it's very much in the spirit of it. https://twitter.com/AnnoyingYTAds/status/1290417495803756545

Nice EU flag with a star missing on his shirt. Political!

Blue Jam

Blue Jam

Not seen an advert for LORDS MOBILE for a bit now but I do keep getting an ad for a game named EVONY which is one of those lava slidey things. Also a Garden Scapes variant with added lava and one where I'm supposed to SAVE THE FISH from some lava.

I know nothing about coding for mobile apps but are these all based on the same template or something?