Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:28:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Reddit bans

Started by chveik, June 29, 2020, 08:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

seems worth a thread

copy-pasted from the glinner one

Quote from: Indomitable Spirit on June 29, 2020, 06:51:39 PM
Reddit have just done a massive purge of subreddits deemed to promote hate speech. Those deleted include r/The_Donald, r/cumtown (lol) and *drumroll*... R/GENDERCRITICAL!!!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/29/technology/reddit-hate-speech.html

TERFs having an absolute 'mare these last few days.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 29, 2020, 07:53:36 PM
It looks like things are snowballing within shitty tech companies. Youtube have just binned off Stefan Molyneux and reddit's having a purge including things like /r/thedonald and /r/gendercritical.

I mean, I don't think they've got a conscience, and they're all just re-running the numbers after some high-profile bans but ultimately it's good innit.

Quote from: DreadedScotsman on June 29, 2020, 07:59:34 PM
Yes, that's how I've felt about it, so much of it is performative and they don't really give a shit, but what it shows is that they ran the numbers and decided that the majority of the money will be against the bigots, they feel that the bigots are small enough of a minority to be OK with losing their money. Social media can present a skewed view of things because of its ability to amplify voices so it at least is a helpful way to feel that positive change may be coming.

idunnosomename

where will i get a bald man rolling his eyes at women having parts in films now???

Sebastian Cobb

chapo trap house got dunted in the reddit cull. I don't know much about it but I believed it was left-wing. Although I've also heard the reddit was shit and the owners wanted little to do with it.

kngen

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 29, 2020, 08:38:03 PM
chapo trap house got dunted in the reddit cull. I don't know much about it but I believed it was left-wing. Although I've also heard the reddit was shit and the owners wanted little to do with it.

It was mostly full of neo-Stalinists slagging off Chapo for being too bourgeois. And chock full of hate for Amber, which is fair enough, because she's fucking awful. Can't listen to an episode if she's on it nowadays.

Sebastian Cobb

I've never really listened to it or know what it is, but someone I know who is usually reliable has recommended it to me.

Cloud

It seems like the various platforms and communities are finally.. to steal a phrase from Trump, "draining the swamp".  It's gratifying to see.

I thought they'd already purged /r/gendercritical months ago but maybe it was just a similar sub.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Today's Jimquisition was unusually sombre and serious because it concerned the appalling level of sexual harassment and abuse in the gaming industry and the wrestling industry. Can't help wondering if the growing chorus of people telling their stories is the reason Reddit is all of a sudden cleaning house.

The ADL and SPLC sure do have a lot of power.

BlodwynPig

Spoiler alert
CaB GONE

[close]

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 29, 2020, 09:19:43 PM
Today's Jimquisition was unusually sombre and serious because it concerned the appalling level of sexual harassment and abuse in the gaming industry and the wrestling industry. Can't help wondering if the growing chorus of people telling their stories is the reason Reddit is all of a sudden cleaning house.

All delivered by a man wearing a silly pink hat, red sunglasses and a suit covered with badges he got from old issues of Look In.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on June 29, 2020, 10:50:07 PM
All delivered by a man wearing a silly pink hat, red sunglasses and a suit covered with badges he got from old issues of Look In.
Yeah he talked about that at the end, about being unsure whether to deliver the video dressed in his usual style or to adopt something more sombre and apologised in advance if he'd got it wrong. He's not sure how to talk about this stuff but felt he couldn't not say anything.

bgmnts

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on June 29, 2020, 10:50:07 PM

I mean that's his brand image isn't it?

Zetetic

https://www.reddithelp.com/en/categories/rules-reporting/account-and-community-restrictions/promoting-hate-based-identity-or

Marginalized or vulnerable groups include, but are not limited to, groups based on their actual and perceived race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, immigration status, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or disability. These include victims of a major violent event and their families.

While the rule on hate protects such groups, it does not protect all groups or all forms of identity. For example, the rule does not protect groups of people who are in the majority or who promote such attacks of hate.

Hmm.

Zetetic

Within guidelines to promote hate against Asian people, I guess. And the poor.

We might get to promote hate against women in a few decades, if we're lucky.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Zetetic on June 29, 2020, 11:56:13 PM
Within guidelines to promote hate against Asian people, I guess. And the poor.

We might get to promote hate against women in a few decades, if we're lucky.

You're probably safe re-running those numbers for north america so women and asian can get swapped round.

Zetetic

Asians out, women in.

Edit: Ninja'd. Although under the circumstances, an inappropriate word to use.

Phil_A

It's entirely coincidental, but it's funny this all happened the same week that Lowtax finally got the boot from Something Awful for being a really vile, abusive shithead.

Cloud

Lowtax gone from SA?  Wow.  Things really are moving.  But what the heck's going on?  I'm not complaining, but how did the flood of "alt right" in recent years suddenly overnight turn into a flood of woke, and alt-right purges?

Even Bronies are in the middle of it.  Finally waking up to all the Nazis in our midst.  That's great.  But why now, what triggered this sudden snowball, is someone pulling strings?  Has BLM just managed to pop the alt right bubble?

Quote from: Zetetic on June 29, 2020, 11:54:26 PM

Hmm.

Sounds like they're going the "you can't be racist towards white people" route. Hmm indeed.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 29, 2020, 09:48:49 PM
Spoiler alert
CaB GONE

[close]

Not gonna happen!

Pictured: Barry Adman (L), I don't know... Buelligan? (R)

Rainbow Moses

Quote from: Cloud on June 30, 2020, 12:45:20 AMSounds like they're going the "you can't be racist towards white people" route. Hmm indeed.

I trust this completely sane rule will be applied on a country-by-country, region-by-region basis.

Uncle TechTip

Ultimately it must be about money so i imagine that news about Starbucks stopping spend on Facebook over hate speech and the general growth of companies saying they'd do similar is the reason.

Urinal Cake

This seems like a move to quell people becoming vocal/violent/crazy irl and then boards etc being held liable in the court of public opinion.

Phil_A

Quote from: Cloud on June 30, 2020, 12:45:20 AM
Lowtax gone from SA?  Wow.  Things really are moving. 

Yep. Huge drama been going on over there this last week - Lowtax got outed as a serial domestic abuser by his current partner, which has basically led to him agreeing to step down from the site. Cue lots of panic and discussion about backing up forum threads in case it all goes tits up, but it seems like it's things are going to carry on for now.

privatefriend

I just want r/watchpeopledie back, and a bag of cans. Brendan Rodgers can stay where he is.

bgmnts

I don't feel like resigning from your job after being found out is ample punishment consistent domestic abuse.

Phil_A

Quote from: bgmnts on June 30, 2020, 01:45:30 AM
I don't feel like resigning from your job after being found out is ample punishment consistent domestic abuse.

Maybe not, but the fact he's been so thoroughly rejected from the site he founded represents a pretty big sea change in attitudes I would say. Especially considering SA was once so synonymous with terrible behaviour in general.

idunnosomename

The lowtax thing has been the best drama megabomb ever as goons finally accepted en-masse that their dear leader is a serial wife-beater who spends all the forum income on home delivery gourmet food and leasing sports cars

The person he hit was promising to revitalise and monetise the front page for him lmao

Paul Calf

Quote from: Zetetic on June 29, 2020, 11:54:26 PM
https://www.reddithelp.com/en/categories/rules-reporting/account-and-community-restrictions/promoting-hate-based-identity-or

Marginalized or vulnerable groups include, but are not limited to, groups based on their actual and perceived race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, immigration status, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or disability. These include victims of a major violent event and their families.

While the rule on hate protects such groups, it does not protect all groups or all forms of identity. For example, the rule does not protect groups of people who are in the majority or who promote such attacks of hate.

Hmm.

Could anything be more calculated to provoke a persecution response from the alt-right?

Won't end well. Giving them a justification for their rage and inferiority complexes and locking them away in bubbles will not turn out well.

brat-sampson

They were already in bubbles. Reddit just burst some of the bigger ones.