Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:07:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Steffen Mollyneux, Gavin McInnes and other alt-righters banned from YouTube

Started by Retinend, June 29, 2020, 10:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Quote from: Retinend on June 30, 2020, 08:45:12 AM
It's certainly gotten progressively harder to defend what is good in him. He is a good person inside, i.e. as he was pre-politics. imho.

We're all "good people", Daisy.  I'm sure there are some very "good people" on both sides.

Question is, would you want a "good person" like Peterson making the final call on something existential for you or yours?  My guess is that only simpletons and people who do not belong to any minority group would take him up on that offer.  And that is a "good reason" to accept that Peterson is not such a fine lad after all, for all his smiles.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Retinend on June 30, 2020, 08:45:12 AM
It's certainly gotten progressively harder to defend what is good in him. He is a good person inside, i.e. as he was pre-politics. imho.

A quick glance at Maps Of Meaning dispels any notion that Peterson is someone who can be trusted with anything important.

Enrico Palazzo

I was quite intrigued by Gavin McInnes for a while. He made a film that was really quite funny and self aware and I was keen to see what he did next, and what he did next was become another Alex Jones. I assumed it was an act for a while, but nah, he's a racist.

I had heard that another alt-right bellend & former UKIP MEP candidate - Count Dankula - was taking his conviction for turning a dog into a Nazi to the European Court of Human Rights.  Which makes sense, as they're all very much pro-ECHR & human rights generally.

Edit: I actually enjoyed the first thing I'd come across that 'Dankula' did - a short film about working in a call centre.  Standard observational stuff, but I did smile at the truth of it.  I had no idea he was a cunt at that point.

Jerzy Bondov

Fascinated by Molyneux. I just find it hard to believe he exists. His weird transatlantic accent, his angry little mouth, his big head, his mad opinions. A totally horrible person. Baffling.

Sebastian Cobb

I'm not sure what I like most about Peterson fans, the fact they relentlessly defend the hipocrasy of him repeatedly running off to the Eastern bloc to smash a load of benzos or them pretending his weird dating his own daughter stuff isn't really creepy.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on June 30, 2020, 10:35:44 AM
Fascinated by Molyneux. I just find it hard to believe he exists. His weird transatlantic accent, his angry little mouth, his big head, his mad opinions. A totally horrible person. Baffling.
his actual young daughter

Buelligan

Me too!  My inner Nazi scientist wants to trap him and Toby Young, isolate them together and force them to breed.  Imagine the race of Supermen I could create. 

I know it's wrong but it feels so right.

BritishHobo

Always baffled by Molyneux. At least with Jordan Peterson you can see how his weird 'tidy your room' father-figure persona has appealed to a generation of lonely and confused boys seeking order and logic in a fragmented world they can't be bothered to attempt to understand. Stefan is just a raving fucking loon, a cast-iron clown of a twat. Burbling absolute half-formed guff out of his shiny bin-lid head. I hope he enjoys purgatory alongside Milo.

bgmnts

Quote from: Buelligan on June 30, 2020, 11:24:48 AM
Me too!  My inner Nazi scientist wants to trap him and Toby Young, isolate them together and force them to breed.  Imagine the race of Supermen I could create. 

I know it's wrong but it feels so right.

I think Peterson has some credentials, his lectures on psychotherapy are recommendable. It seems he took a number of missteps when he left the bubble of academia. I'm still not quite sure how he became famous/infamous. I'm curious what happens next. Is there a redemption arc?

touchingcloth

I've never heard of any of these guys, why are you lot who have tuning into alt righters?

Dog Botherer

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on June 30, 2020, 12:39:00 PM
I think Peterson has some credentials, his lectures on psychotherapy are recommendable. It seems he took a number of missteps when he left the bubble of academia. I'm still not quite sure how he became famous/infamous. I'm curious what happens next. Is there a redemption arc?

he basically done a Glinner. wouldn't call his trans students by their preferred pronouns and threw a hissy fit in the media. and considering he stopped eating anything but meat and drugged himself into a coma, redemption seems unlikely.

in fact there's a fairly widespread theory that he's still comatose/fucking dead and his daughter and her husband are grifting off his name.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 30, 2020, 01:18:21 PM
I've never heard of any of these guys, why are you lot who have tuning into alt righters?
I know the names, Petersen enjoyed some degree of mainstream fame I would have said, but never watched or read anything by them on any level beyond fleeting. I remember they would pop up on my youtube recommended videos until I installed the app that nips that right in the bud.

idunnosomename

He still has a chair at Toronto though? Do they still fuckin pay him?

Buelligan

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 30, 2020, 01:18:21 PM

Not.  But I believe it's wise to know your enemy and I enjoy listening to people like Contrapoints (linked with the Jordan Daddyson vid above) and Shaun.  Here's Shaun critiquing Molyneux's Native American Genocide thing.  Note The Moly's weird smiling hate-mouth and his subliminal namechecking of The Fucking Matrix in the first seconds, what a horrible weird hate-monger.  Shaun's done a few good SM dissections and one for nasty Lauren, erstwhile friend of Stefan, about her vile Great Replacement Theory promotion

Of course, things have moved on, Lauren has now rebranded herself as a centrist, I fucking know, after New Zealand.  Still, worth consideration and not only in case a centrist called Lauren ever asks for your votes or your clicks.

idunnosomename

His smile is so weird. He looks a comedy mask from Greek theatre

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 30, 2020, 01:57:03 PM
He still has a chair at Toronto though? Do they still fuckin pay him?

He has tenure, so there's not much they can do. At the risk of coming across all freeze peach, I think it's generally a good thing that tenure allows academics to express whatever views they like without the risk of being sacked. And in this particular instance, booting him out of his academic position wouldn't stop him making money and spreading his views. It would even confirm his conspiracy theory about the thought police of academia and would probably give another boost to his career.

Buelligan

It'd make a lot of people think again about paying to study there.  Unless they were cunts, of course.  Which brings its own problems, obvs.

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 30, 2020, 02:06:17 PM
His smile is so weird. He looks a comedy mask from Greek theatre

Like he wants you to think he'll kiss your baby but he plans to bite a big chunk out of its head.

FredNurke

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on June 30, 2020, 02:07:30 PM
He has tenure, so there's not much they can do. At the risk of coming across all freeze peach, I think it's generally a good thing that tenure allows academics to express whatever views they like without the risk of being sacked. And in this particular instance, booting him out of his academic position wouldn't stop him making money and spreading his views. It would even confirm his conspiracy theory about the thought police of academia and would probably give another boost to his career.

They should have put him on a disciplinary for throwing a narcissistic tantrum when asked to comply with the perfectly reasonable practices of the rest of his academic community and submit his work to an ethics review. This was before he achieved public fame / notoriety, too.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: FredNurke on June 30, 2020, 02:45:13 PM
They should have put him on a disciplinary for throwing a narcissistic tantrum when asked to comply with the perfectly reasonable practices of the rest of his academic community and submit his work to an ethics review. This was before he achieved public fame / notoriety, too.

Yeah, agreed.

Pingers

Dr Rock

sevendaughters

Molyneux came to prominence when I started actively sticking my head in the sand, but I think I hate McInnes more than any person online. Someone who was objectionable before they were racist, imho.

QDRPHNC

You can see how he'd be impressive to a really thick person.

touchingcloth

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 30, 2020, 05:41:17 PM
Molyneux came to prominence when I started actively sticking my head in the sand, but I think I hate McInnes more than any person online. Someone who was objectionable before they were racist, imho.

I've just googled him, and fucking lol. A Nazi version of the Cereal Killer bastards. Sorry, a more Nazi version of the Cereal Killer bastards.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: BritishHobo on June 30, 2020, 12:12:29 PM
Always baffled by Molyneux. At least with Jordan Peterson you can see how his weird 'tidy your room' father-figure persona has appealed to a generation of lonely and confused boys seeking order and logic in a fragmented world they can't be bothered to attempt to understand. Stefan is just a raving fucking loon, a cast-iron clown of a twat. Burbling absolute half-formed guff out of his shiny bin-lid head. I hope he enjoys purgatory alongside Milo.
Molyneux's thing was he'd argue with anyone - I got into it a few times with him, and I have 20 followers on Twitter (all of whom are bots, I guess). He worked his grift hard. But it was that awful self-contained American school debate-club style that I realised quickly was pointless to go against.