Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:04:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"British couple who voted Brexit" thread on Twitter

Started by bushwick, June 30, 2020, 12:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushwick

https://twitter.com/archer_rs/status/1277505330885386240

^anyone aware of this? A thread has gone viral on twitter about some guy's Brexit voting neighbours with a holiday home in Europe, who get increasingly angry about their (lack of) rights in Europe, with comedic effect...

Now the guy's called "RS Archer", his photo is stock and is used on lots of different websites. His bio is "Author of the 'David Saunders' book series.
Historian and Explorer. My wife and I are to be found either in the Dordogne or in our GXV Patagonia.". In the middle of the thread about arguing with the Brexit couple's "idiot son" he drops this in:
"Brief update as so many asked

The duck was excellent, my wife is a brilliant cook.

I had creme brulee for pudding

The story is true and that is how it happened today

Our dog is now asleep

I promise to update the story as it develops"

How fuckin dumb are people? Nobody in the comments is clocking this and just seen Irvine Welsh retweet it as example of British exceptionalism etc, 20K retweets, 60K likes, but it's blatant Trevor Bastard Universe-style centrist trolling, is it not? Fairly sophisticated I guess but I must be Extremely Online and spot this stuff a mile off, what you reckon?

Armin Meiwes

It is yeah, I saw that and was reeled in for the first couple of tweets tbf but once he started banging on about the son repeatedly phoning him up and saying he was going to go nuts at the mayor of the town his parents live in it was pretttttttty obviously a pisstake.

pancreas

If it's not true then something somewhere like it is true.

bushwick

the clues are all there for Fans Of The Internetz - the "idiot son", the Mayor saying he would consider it if he fixed him up with Vannessa Paradis, the idiot son saying he will escalate the situation to Nigel Farage...FFS man. I guarantee at least a couple of well-meaning but slightly boomerish comrades of mine will share this in good faith.

Captain Z

It sounds obviously bullshit to me, unfortunately it isn't remotely funny either.

Quote from: Captain Z on June 30, 2020, 12:25:13 PM
It sounds obviously bullshit to me, unfortunately it isn't remotely funny either.

I got five or six tweets in, and gave up whilst wishing I had voted for Brexit

BritishHobo

I would have believed the first two, but why the guy decided to push it further and further into this daft twenty-tweet thread where the couple and the son keep coming back to him via relentless e-mails and WhatsApp messages to give their every waking thought on the subject, I don't know.

king_tubby

Quote from: bushwick on June 30, 2020, 12:14:50 PM
but it's blatant Trevor Bastard Universe-style centrist trolling

Please delete this, the TBEU is far subtler and far more amusing.

OK, so last night's smearing a turd on a football wasn't subtle, but you get my point.

touchingcloth

It's actually true, I live nextdoor but one to the guy.

Buelligan

Quote from: pancreas on June 30, 2020, 12:19:11 PM

You're right, I know a couple of couples of ardent Brexiteer-tory-voters who find the whole thing a giant surprise.  One lot are out here at the moment, telling everyone how much better it is here and refusing to wear the masks they've been given by the mairie when they use public spaces because "masks don't keep you safe".

olliebean

Quote from: pancreas on June 30, 2020, 12:19:11 PM

"That story about Brexit voters is not true. But I feel what it tells us about Brexit voters is true."

Blinder Data

Yep, I read this and it looked too good to be true. I'm sure there are people out there like this but this particular story didn't smell right.

It's ironic that #FBPE people seem just as capable as Brexiteers of swallowing bollocks on social media and overreacting to purported actions of their political enemies.

touchingcloth

My Brexiteer mother in law owns a house in the Algarve, and does the Brexiteer thing of complaining about how the country has taken more from than it has added to the EU's coffers, neatly ignoring the fact that the excellent roads she drives down to her house from Bilbao/Santander on were funded in no small part by EU money, as are many of the roads she uses around her home in Wales.

She's got the selfish mindset of some boomers with no concept of a social contract. As well as the house in Portugal she's got some sorts of investments in France which aren't worth much, and are becoming increasingly worthless as she tries to dream up ways which means she's liable for capital gains taxes in neither the UK nor France - it's a little tragic in a way to watch someone fraying their emotions and finances by imagining they can game the system in the way that super wealthy non-dom Cayman Cunts actually can, but rather than questioning why those people don't pay taxes when she can't avoid them she sees that sort of stuff as something to aspire to.

So the stuff in the OP is a decent allegory for the kinds of people and mindsets which really do exist.

bgmnts

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 30, 2020, 11:05:11 PM
My Brexiteer mother in law owns a house in the Algarve, and does the Brexiteer thing of complaining about how the country has taken more from than it has added to the EU's coffers, neatly ignoring the fact that the excellent roads she drives down to her house from Bilbao/Santander on were funded in no small part by EU money, as are many of the roads she uses around her home in Wales.

Pretty sure the entire town of Ebbw Vales was kept afloat by EU funding, creating a college, a leisure centre etc.

These people are just uneducated and politically lazy as fuck, daring not to step outside of their own sense of entitlement.

They just need education if they possess the natural compassion required to be a decent human being, or led round the back for shooting if they don't.

pigamus

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: BritishHobo on June 30, 2020, 12:37:26 PM
I would have believed the first two, but why the guy decided to push it further and further into this daft twenty-tweet thread where the couple and the son keep coming back to him via relentless e-mails and WhatsApp messages to give their every waking thought on the subject, I don't know.

At one point the son's kwikfit boss phones up to find out if he can leave and he explains what's going on and the boss says 'he's always been a f*cking spanner'.

Then he claims he phoned him back and said he can waste his holiday if he wants.

As if mechanics phone people.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 01, 2020, 01:37:15 AM
At one point the son's kwikfit boss phones up to find out if he can leave and he explains what's going on and the boss says 'he's always been a f*cking spanner'.

Then he claims he phoned him back and said he can waste his holiday if he wants.

Dex?

BlodwynPig

It sounds IS obviously bullshit to me, unfortunately it isn't remotely funny either.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: bushwick on June 30, 2020, 12:14:50 PM
How fuckin dumb are people? Nobody in the comments is clocking this and just seen Irvine Welsh retweet it as example of British exceptionalism etc, 20K retweets, 60K likes, but it's blatant Trevor Bastard Universe-style centrist trolling, is it not? Fairly sophisticated I guess but I must be Extremely Online and spot this stuff a mile off, what you reckon?
I've seen people tweeting the troll poetry from Graham Linehan's Twitter clone under the assumption that it's sincere, so it doesn't surprise me that lots are being taken in by this wheeze. Welsh prefers to describe society as he imagines it to be rather than how it really is, I realised that after he framed Trump's election as the American working class getting their own back on the middle class.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 01, 2020, 01:37:15 AM

It's amazing how quickly this 'guy' and his 'wife' went from being neighbours that the Brexit couple didn't know very well or speak to very often, to being the sounding board for every cunt even tenuously related to the situation. Now the Mayor's coming round for tea, and the son's solicitor is e-mailing this guy as a point of contact? And everyone's still just eating it up in the replies.

touchingcloth

Aye, there's the rub. People wouldn't think twice about it being fake if it was handled well (c.f. the "I feel that what it tells us is true" of Stewart Lee's which has been dropped in every third post in this thread), but it's about as funny as those bastards who post hilarious overwrought complaints to supermarkets about only having five rather than six rashers in a pack of bacon.

I bet Jasper Carrott could sell it, like he did with those genuine insurance claims.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Jumblegraws on July 01, 2020, 09:08:39 AM
I've seen people tweeting the troll poetry from Graham Linehan's Twitter clone under the assumption that it's sincere, so it doesn't surprise me that lots are being taken in by this wheeze. Welsh prefers to describe society as he imagines it to be rather than how it really is, I realised that after he framed Trump's election as the American working class getting their own back on the middle class.

I love Irvine Welsh but he can be a proper fucking fanny at times.

Thomas

Quote from: BritishHobo on July 01, 2020, 09:38:45 AM
It's amazing how quickly this 'guy' and his 'wife' went from being neighbours that the Brexit couple didn't know very well or speak to very often, to being the sounding board for every cunt even tenuously related to the situation. Now the Mayor's coming round for tea, and the son's solicitor is e-mailing this guy as a point of contact? And everyone's still just eating it up in the replies.

I wonder if this'll be revealed to be a 'social experiment' to prove that even EU-heads can be hoodwinked by false narratives
ahhhh

Or maybe just some guy enjoying his moment in the tweetlight.

Armin Meiwes

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 01, 2020, 10:11:46 AM
I love Irvine Welsh but he can be a proper fucking fanny at times.

Yeah I couldn't give an example but I feel like I've seen him fall for the most obvious bullshit on Twitter more than once before.

The Lurker

The guy's Twitter profile picture is a stock image of some random bloke. So, long story short, it didn't happen or it did happen to a bloke who just so happened to once model for a stock photo. You decide.

https://www.pexels.com/photo/man-wearing-black-zip-up-jacket-near-beach-smiling-at-the-photo-736716/

bushwick

^i said that in the first post fam. the book series doesn't exist either.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: The Lurker on July 01, 2020, 03:00:58 PM
The guy's Twitter profile picture is a stock image of some random bloke. So, long story short, it didn't happen or it did happen to a bloke who just so happened to once model for a stock photo. You decide.

OR it really happened to someone who decided to use a stock photo for plausible deniability if challenged by his family.

But yeah, probably didn't happen for all the other reasons.