Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 10:59:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Johnson's speech on post lockdown plans

Started by Fambo Number Mive, June 30, 2020, 12:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Playing at being FDR. I note no one in the room was wearing a mask.

A New Deal would be great, but I don't trust Johnson to deliver it. The man who wasted £43m on a Garden Bridge that never happened and gave London a cable car that barely anyone used.

monkfromhavana

5 Billions of big ones.

Isn't that what Sky pay for the Premier League rights over 5 years?

sirhenry

Quote from: monkfromhavana on June 30, 2020, 12:49:59 PM
5 Billions of big ones.

Isn't that what Sky pay for the Premier League rights over 5 years?
5 billion (or 12 miles of HS2) to rebuild the country's entire economy. Sounds like a bloody good deal!

Compared to FDR's equivalent of $600 billion.

And compared to the £500 billion given to the banks in the last 2 months in the form of QE.[nb]At least he has reversed the 1%[/nb]

Looks like Boris really doesn't want a bright new future at all.

Captain Z

Bung a billion bob for Big Ben's bongs to believe in Brexit Britain and build build build back better

idunnosomename

whack a mole

sharks cycling

get covid done. just get it done!

phantom_power

If footballers can get a haircut in lockdown then that scruffy cunt can

Funcrusher

Apparently this works out as £75 per person.

Zetetic

5 billion / 66 million, I guess.

Unclear if there are Barnett consequentials, because it's unclear how much of this is even new spending.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Funcrusher on June 30, 2020, 03:47:45 PM
Apparently this works out as £75 per person.
sounds about right for the tories

Zetetic

It's looking more and more like it's £0 per person, via relabelling existing spending. (Otherwise at least some it would require handing over cash to the devolved governments, and there's no sign of that.)

Bently Sheds

Funny how the cunts that were baying at Corbyn that he would bankrupt the country with his spending plans are keeping quiet at Boris' spaffing the cash on shit. Plus; how much of those billions is going to end up in pockets of Cummings and his mates?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Starmer's response about it being about jobs was another insight into how much the soft left (if indeed that's what they are) have learnt in the last 5 years.

Zetetic

Quote from: Bently Sheds on June 30, 2020, 06:10:52 PM
Boris' spaffing the cash
Have you worked out how much of this is new spending?

(Although, to be honest if it's £5bn, it's fucking nothing.)

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Bently Sheds on June 30, 2020, 06:10:52 PM
Funny how the cunts that were baying at Corbyn that he would bankrupt the country with his spending plans are keeping quiet at Boris' spaffing the cash on shit. Plus; how much of those billions is going to end up in pockets of Cummings and his mates?

It's a pathetic amount of money that couldn't even be used to give Coventry a 'new deal' let alone the nation.

The BBC, as servile as ever are trying to claim it's difficult to compare this new deal with FDR's. No it isn't. ITS FUCKING EASY. IT'S ABSOLUTELY FUCK ALL.

Starmer should have been on to this like a moth to a lamp, with the auld "Here's a fiver Boris, according to you that will cover the NHS budget of my local Trust for the next 2 years?" rhetoric.

Zetetic

The press release makes it clearer - there is no new spending as part of this £5bn.

It's moving £5bn of capital spend from the year that it was already allocated to, forward to this year.

It's entirely literally "ABSOLUTELY FUCK ALL".

Shoulders?-Stomach!

What's more, Starmer missed the first opportunity to challenge golden boy Rishi Sunak.

mjwilson

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 30, 2020, 12:34:05 PM
Playing at being FDR. I note no one in the room was wearing a mask.

A New Deal would be great, but I don't trust Johnson to deliver it. The man who wasted £43m on a Garden Bridge that never happened and gave London a cable car that barely anyone used.

Hey that's unfair! I went on it one time.

Fambo Number Mive

Was there a good view? I've never used it.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 30, 2020, 06:29:13 PM
What's more, Starmer missed the first opportunity to challenge golden boy Rishi Sunak.

Worrying times when even Novara Media are getting behind a Tory Chancellor. Smoke and mirrors.

But perception amongst the "average" voter will be "BUNDLES OF B'S TO MAKE BRITAIN BETTER"

dissolute ocelot

Hey, people! Once we have Brexit done, the country will be filled by a wave of optimism, trade will zoom up, and investment will flood the country. You don't need government spending or competent administration when you have the magical power of Sovereignty.

Bently Sheds

Even the BBC Fact Check webpage is picking apart his speech. It was all a couple of catchphrases wrapped around bluster and bullshit. Who would have thought?

EOLAN

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 01, 2020, 08:34:48 AM
Worrying times when even Novara Media are getting behind a Tory Chancellor. Smoke and mirrors.

But perception amongst the "average" voter will be "BUNDLES OF B'S TO MAKE BRITAIN BETTER"

The Conservative and Unionist Party - with all our B alliteration we are finally taking the Great out of Great Britain.

Norton Canes

Coincidentally, I watched the ITV News At 10 last night and from the start it was openly casting not just doubt but open and blatant ridicule on the speech. Going to have to stick with ITV if they carry on putting the BBC to shame like that.