Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 12:52:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RIP Carl Reiner

Started by Keebleman, June 30, 2020, 02:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puce Moment

Very sad, but particularly for poor old Mel.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Puce Moment on June 30, 2020, 02:30:41 PM
Very sad, but particularly for poor old Mel.

Mel must be devastated. As everyone knows, he and Carl met for dinner every night at the latter's house. They'd watch bad movies and make each other laugh. I've always found that fact so touching and cheering.

He was such a massively talented man, and, as evinced by his Twitter feed, his comedy brain never dulled with age.

I think I might watch The Man With Two Brains tonight in tribute.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Didn't make it to 2,000 :(

Fr.Bigley

Didn't he and Mel famously only watch movies if they contained the line "secure the perimeter"?

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 30, 2020, 02:38:13 PM
Mel must be devastated. As everyone knows, he and Carl met for dinner every night at the latter's house. They'd watch bad movies and make each other laugh. I've always found that fact so touching and cheering.

They were keeping in touch daily via internet chats, but it must have been tough for them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckc4R2TET6o

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 30, 2020, 02:38:13 PMI think I might watch The Man With Two Brains tonight in tribute.

This is no time to be happy - watch Bert Rigby, You're a Fool instead.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on June 30, 2020, 02:54:07 PM
Didn't he and Mel famously only watch movies if they contained the line "secure the perimeter"?

Yes, that and "get some rest".

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on June 30, 2020, 02:55:59 PM
This is no time to be happy - watch Bert Rigby, You're a Fool instead.

I don't think I could deal with that.

Keebleman

I've never seen Bert Rigby You're a Fool but it always sounded to me an incredibly bold and ambitious undertaking for a 60-something American filmmaker, though one which sadly didn't come off by all accounts.

Where's Poppa is bold and ambitious too, at least in respect of the fearless blackness of much of its humour. I'm surprised it's not better known.

Dusty Substance

"Into the mud, scum queen" is one of the all time greatest movie quote. Of any genre.

R.I.P Carl.

Blinder Data

This was a lovely read: https://www.theguardian.com/global/2020/feb/20/love-and-free-food-mel-brooks-and-carl-reiner-share-the-secrets-of-their-70-year-friendship

RIP Carl Reiner. Underrated tweeter. Only posted this two days ago:

QuoteNothing pleases me more than knowing that I have lived the best life possible by having met & marrying the gifted Estelle (Stella) Lebost---who partnered with me in bringing Rob, Annie & Lucas Reiner into to this needy & evolving world.

Shit Good Nose

98, no age at all etc.

I think it might be a spin of Summer Rental for me.  Much as I love Two Brains and The Jerk, Summer Rental has always had a special place in my heart, not least cos it was the first John Candy film I saw at the cinema.

Purple Toupee

Very sad news. Loved his appearance on Norm Macdonald Live, he was still very sharp even into his 90s.

Small Man Big Horse

I had Bert Rigby lined up as my Saturday night musical in a few weeks time but may give it a watch sooner than that now, I watched the trailer today so expect it to be pretty dodgy, but it's a rare musical that I just don't get on with at all.

Armin Meiwes

And this tweet from just two days ago, Mel & Carl in their BLM T's.

https://twitter.com/georgeshapiro/status/1277286766936911872?s=19

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 30, 2020, 02:38:13 PM
I admit I was a little envious of that, to have a friend you can still want to spend so much time with after numerous decades, still able to crack each other up. It's almost beyond imagination for me.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Purple Toupee on June 30, 2020, 04:17:47 PM
Very sad news. Loved his appearance on Norm Macdonald Live, he was still very sharp even into his 90s.

"Ed McBoy" was an especially sharp joke.

kalowski

God, how I love The Jerk.
"Damn these glasses!"
"Glasses, I damn thee!"

Shit Good Nose

Johnson, Navin R...sounds like a typical bastard.

Egyptian Feast

So sad to hear, even though he was 98, a remarkably good innings by any standard. I was hoping he'd get to have another viewing sesh with Mel post-lockdown and that at least he'd live to see Trump out of the White House one way or another, as was his frequently repeated wish. I was enjoying his tweets about Noel Coward just last night, so it was a real shitty surprise to find out earlier that he'd died.

Twit 2

Wow! Love stories like that. Beautiful.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Armin Meiwes on June 30, 2020, 11:46:05 PM
Quite a sweet story.

https://twitter.com/AshcanPress/status/1278063982767738882?s=19

God, this Reiner guy sounds like an even bigger twat than Captain Tom Moore.

Touching story.  Your Show of Shows, The Dick Van Dyke Show and Reiner's humour in general doesn't get the credit it deserves when it comes to rapid-fire, staccato banter.  It leapfrogged off that His Girl Friday style and updated it even further.  I believe Woody Allen made his bones sending in jokes to YSOS.  My Favorite Year made it look like a really special thing to work on. Reiner sounds like nothing but lovely.  I'll give Rob Reiner a break for all the Biden-shilling he's been doing lately.

zomgmouse

Armin Meiwes

Maron, as he always does when someone he's interviewed dies, has reissued his interview with CR from 2013 if anyone's interested. Cracking up at the number of times Carl's phone rings during the interview, must have been driving Maron mad.

SteveDave

Quote from: Keebleman on June 30, 2020, 03:16:20 PM
I've never seen Bert Rigby You're a Fool but it always sounded to me an incredibly bold and ambitious undertaking for a 60-something American filmmaker, though one which sadly didn't come off by all accounts.

I saw it whilst off sick from school when I was 11 or 12. I remember my dad being sat next to me on the sofa and him saying "I don't why this is a 15?" and instantly the dad from My Family said "Demo-fucking-graphics" "Ahh that's why" I quite liked it.

Blumf

Will he be laid to rest in some kind of tartan suit?

AsparagusTrevor

Weirdly, I watched The Man With Two Brains just a few days ago, having bought the bluray a couple of weeks ago. Or rather, 're-watched for the millionth time'. It's a film that never gets old, a film I loved and found funny when I was 10 and still do now I'm 37, the perfect balance of wit, slaptick and spoof. My wife wasn't interested, she had never seen it before and she was playing on her phone to start with, and about 15 minutes in it had her full attention and her laughter.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Just come on here to say that yer man Reiner also directed two ill- remembered but top films " The Comic" ( 1969) starring Dick Van Dyke and " The One And Only" ( 1978), starring Chesney Hawkes Henry Winkler shaking off his " Fonzie" image, and Tattoo off " Fantasy Island", trying to shake off his " Tattoo off " Fantasy Island" image. Both films well worth seeing, if you havenae  seen them.
Also writing to say that both Mel Brooks and Dick Van Dyke will probably go this year, too :(