Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:58:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Local Lockdowns - Lottery's Loser? Leicester Looms Large

Started by Zetetic, June 30, 2020, 05:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

Since we're probably going to have a few of these, I thought the idea of local lockdowns deserved its own thread.

This is the best thing Leicester. I assume you can't see it at the moment, so that makes it easier not go there.

Is it the UK Government that determines which towns in England go into lockdown, or do local authorities have much say in the matter?

Zetetic

Why is Public Health England/DHSC being so weird about sharing up-to-date Pillar 2 info in England?

It could just be because the data is just a fucking mess (but we've managed to deal with it reasonably well and its all from the same source).

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Cut off the food supplies to DMU and let them all starve UoL FOREVER BASTARDS

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Nah it sucks, good luck Leicester, hope it all goes well. Sucks that I won't get the chance to go to Yours Supermarket again any time soon though :(

Sebastian Cobb

Hancock mentioned on Radio 4 that he knew about it for about 11 days. Nearly a fortnight of inaction then.

Do you think they might just be the unlucky guinea pig to see if we can open things a bit too early and play whack-a-mole?

jobotic

Express and Mirror screaming that about forty places will have to stay in lockdown due to the spike, including where I live.

From 6 to 12.

jobotic

Johnson lying about this in PMQs and in doing so implying that officials in Leicester are liars themselves.

Still, what you gonna do about it?

PMQs, you say? I wonder what brilliance Legend Boris has come out with today.

QuoteLabour's Bambos Charalambous asks about Chicken Shed theatre and asks what will be done to support the arts.

Johnson says this is becoming a theme this morning. He is a fan of Chicken Shed, he says. He urges arts organisations not to lay off their staff.

Yes, keep paying them with the money they don't have.

QuoteJohnson says there is no such thing as a border between England and Scotland.

Fffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: jobotic on July 01, 2020, 12:14:20 PM
Johnson lying about this in PMQs and in doing so implying that officials in Leicester are liars themselves.

Still, what you gonna do about it?

Leicester's looking at him gone out!

Estimated number of people who'll get that joke: 5

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 01, 2020, 01:00:59 PM
PMQs, you say? I wonder what brilliance Legend Boris has come out with today.

Yes, keep paying them with the money they don't have.

Fffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Come up here and say that, etc.

BlodwynPig

Dewt

I just saw some very powerful art. Thank you Zetetic.

Icehaven

I imagine everywhere surrounding Leicester can expect an influx of Leicesterarians when the pubs reopen this weekend then.

Zetetic

Quote from: Dewt on July 01, 2020, 03:44:31 PM
I just saw some very powerful art. Thank you Zetetic.
Good, isn't it?

A surprisingly high point in the last few years was sending someone, already in Leicester, to that museum without any further information.

BlodwynPig

Sebastian Cobb

Dudley and Wolverhampton are looking like they might be following suit if this Mirror article is anything to go by https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/dudley-wolverhampton-facing-local-lockdowns-22302621

When I went to see the German art collection at the New Walk the exhibition room was kept dark for a short film projected in the middle which made it difficult to see some of the pictures on the walls with inadequate lighting on the individual pictures. There was a bad glare on The Red Woman by Franz Marc. I think the collection has been displayed like this for a while. I still enjoyed it but found this lighting annoying. You can see the different visibility in these two pictures:

This is the Franz Marc picture I was disappointed not to be able to see very well:

I liked the Picasso ceramics from Richard Attenborough's collection and outside of the museum a vegan café called Currant Affairs.