Author Topic: Switch, PS4 or Oculus Quest  (Read 246 times)

Switch, PS4 or Oculus Quest
« on: June 30, 2020, 08:19:35 PM »
Almost certainly gonna buy one of these in the next few weeks. I tend to prefer shorter games but I'd fucking love something with a social element I could actually engage with right now too.

The Quest is definitely the most appealing, but it's really entirely for Tetris Effect and Beat Saber. How much would it cost to build a PC that could handle most VR games (really just talking Rez and the Half Life one here tbh), I assume I could do that in a couple of months if the quest gets boring.
Is VR Chat fun? or Rec Room? or whatever other social stuff they have?

PS4 is probably the one I'm least excited about but also the one I'm most likely to spend quite a bit of time on, if only for FF7, the Last Guardian and Dreams. There's a few other games I'd like to try out but I know I wouldn't bother with too long (Death Stranding and Nier Automata immediately spring to mind). Not sure there's much value at all for me here on a social level, beyond messing with people's shit in Dreams. And maybe at this stage it just makes sense to wait and pay mad money for a PS5 that'll still be useful in 5 years.

Switch is somewhat spoiled by having a Wii U, I've already played the games I'd most want to play (BotW and MK8 specifically). However, I actually have a few friends with ones so there's the potential for a good social element, seems a bit too late to get onto the Animal Crossing bandwagon this time around though and nothing else seems to stand out unless I just buy everyone a copy of Burnout Paradise...
So outta games I haven't already played it's only really Golf Story and Ring Fit Adventure that seem especially appealing and I don't have much of an idea as to what's on the horizon

Re: Switch, PS4 or Oculus Quest
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 05:04:50 AM »
Get a Switch. Especially if you like Tetris as Tetris 99 is the best game ever. There are quite a few decent multiplayer games for it (Rocket League, Fifa, Mario Kart, 51 Worldwide Games) although it does lack a serviceable means of voice chat - not something i'm interested in doing with strangers, personally. There loads of other great downloadable indie-type games in the eshop that are regularly on sale once you get through the 4 or 5 essential big budget Switch releases.

The Quest is brilliant but more of a novelty. I find it too uncomfortable to play for more than half an hour at a time although the games are all quite short so designed for short bursts. My PC isn't good enough to play the Half Life game and I think you'd probably need at least a 500 quid PC to do it justice.

PS4 is probably the best value option with a big library of cheap games but I can't be bothered with long story-based games with loads of text on screen and endless missions and side-missions.

Mister Six

• Golden Member
  • Ridiculously teacakes
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 02:03:17 PM »
I have a PS4 and a Switch. Having to pay a subscription to access online multiplayer and a lack of interest in longer games initially made me think the PS4 wasn't for you. But then I saw you weren't that hyped by the Switch's offerings, since you have a Wii U.

So I dunno, basically. Get a second-hand PS4 to tide you over while the PS5 comes out?

Jerzy Bondov

• best not bother
    • righto so ive got five minutes off work and uh yeah im gonna have a cheeky volvic
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 03:36:08 PM »
Get a football. Much healthier and will get you out of the house.

Sin Agog

• Dogs fucked the pope; no fault of mine
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 03:42:25 PM »
PS4 has most of the same indie games as the Switch, except they don't succumb to the Switch Tax and go on sale more often.

Consignia

• Deviant
  • Silver Member
  • 저는 사과예요
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 04:25:45 PM »
Yeah, if you're not after the Nintendo exclusives and you aren't using it as portable device, the PS4 would seem a better bet. The games will be a bit cheaper and usually run a bit better. I don't know what Xbox is like for indies, but it does have that very nice subscription service which gets you loads of games. Probably worth putting that into consideration.

Don't know about Oculus, I get motion sick whenever I use VR. I guess the really cool stuff is where you need a proper PC behind it, so the Rift and stuff like that. The Quest sounds impressive but does have limitations, and it may end up being left in a drawer after a few weeks of use. But again, I'm probably the worst person to have an opinion about VR :).

Disclosure: I'm Switch and PS4 owner, and pretty much only use the Switch. But you have to recognise each system has it's advantages.

Tags: