Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:02:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cancelled People Whose Work You Still Enjoy

Started by Satchmo Distel, June 30, 2020, 11:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Jeffrey Tambor's work on Larry Sanders has helped me get through the lockdown. Constant perfection.

"Off The Wall" by Michael Jackson is still a very fine album.

Others?

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on June 30, 2020, 11:57:44 PM
Jeffrey Tambor's work on Larry Sanders has helped me get through the lockdown. Constant perfection.

"Off The Wall" by Michael Jackson is still a very fine album.

Others?

It is but I do feel a bit uneasy listening to it. Was he a nonce by that point? or a proto nonce? Larkin's poems are good and I still enjoy reading the odd one every now and again.

ollyboro

Phil Collins - Even though the cunt divorced his dying wife by fax and was a fundraiser for the local Tory party.

Sebastian Cobb

Is Tambor full cancelled? I know he got outed as being an arsehole to Jessica Walter and something to do with harassing an employee which sort of fell apart maybe? just as Death of Stalin was coming out but nothing since.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on June 30, 2020, 11:57:44 PM
Others?

There's a bit in the latest Gilbert Gottfried podcast where he tries to ramrod a teary apologia midway through Gilbert Gottfried jokingly calling him a cunt.  It was the first time he'd spoken about it publicly since it all went down.  He seems like the weirdest, neediest, most painfully self-conscious guy on the planet- but he's still funny enough that I hope he doesn't completely drop off the face of the earth like some other Cancelleds.

idunnosomename

touchingcloth

Ted Hughes has some absolute bangers.

Kevin Spacey was ace in series 1 and 2 of House of Cards.

Some of the most hilarious works I've ever seen are still Beatrice and Eugenie.

idunnosomename

ooh if we're talking poets Ezra Pound up in this piece

and then like floodgates to Caravaggio and Gauguin

touchingcloth

I love my knot tying badge, neckerchief and woggle.

idunnosomename

i like adolf hitler's early work OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH not really it was shit

Ambient Sheep

Reminds me of an early CaB thread called "Hitler's Lovely Horse" about this sort of thing.  It really was quite a good painting.

popcorn

Quote from: ollyboro on July 01, 2020, 12:19:36 AM
Phil Collins - Even though the cunt divorced his dying wife by fax and was a fundraiser for the local Tory party.

Paging Shit Good Nose to thread.

Sebastian Cobb

I could still happily rewatch L.A. Confidential I think.

Cloud

Erm, well most of the IT Crowd is still enjoyable to me
Except for the laugh at disabled people one
And the laugh and trans people one
But other than that!

ollyboro

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

lostprophets did some good songs, Last Summer in particular, although I'd never play them out loud.

touchingcloth

I think if the past 10+ years have taught us anything it's that if you can't divorce an artist's work from their personAlito then you're doomed to never enjoy any art, and likewise that it's risky business to infer anything about someone's personality from their art.

It's best to treat it as a pleasant surprise if someone whose work you enjoy also proves to be a good egg. Kurt Cobain is a good example of this for me - I idolised him in my early teens based on nothing more than the music, but at some point Nirvana stopped being my favourite band and the spate of 70s peodo reveals made me think "good music, probable cunt" whenever I thought back to those teenage years, so it was a nice surprise to me a few years later to learn about how liberal he seemed to be in terms of feminism, gay rights and racism. I haven't swung back to idolising him but it's nice to know that someone whose music I do still enjoy a lot might on the balance of probabilities have been a decent chap.

What am I even saying.

All of them, to be honest. Just listened to some Bill Cosby stand-up the other day.

ollyboro

Quote from: popcorn on July 01, 2020, 01:17:02 AM
alarm tripped.

I've tried a bit of Collins-based whistleblowing in the past to no avail, so I've probably jumped in feet first this time.   Memo to self:  More subtlety needed, Buster.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 01, 2020, 01:11:39 AM
I think if the past 10+ years have taught us anything it's that if you can't divorce an artist's work from their personAlito then you're doomed to never enjoy any art, and likewise that it's risky business to infer anything about someone's personality from their art.

It's best to treat it as a pleasant surprise if someone whose work you enjoy also proves to be a good egg. Kurt Cobain is a good example of this for me - I idolised him in my early teens based on nothing more than the music, but at some point Nirvana stopped being my favourite band and the spate of 70s peodo reveals made me think "good music, probable cunt" whenever I thought back to those teenage years, so it was a nice surprise to me a few years later to learn about how liberal he seemed to be in terms of feminism, gay rights and racism. I haven't swung back to idolising him but it's nice to know that someone whose music I do still enjoy a lot might on the balance of probabilities have been a decent chap.

What am I even saying.

I preferred the smashing pumpkins but knew corgan was a massive bellend. make of that what you will.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on July 01, 2020, 01:11:05 AM
lostprophets did some good songs, Last Summer in particular, although I'd never play them out loud.
And Rooftops, and The Fake Sound of Progress, and I just can't listen to them anymore.

amoral

Polanski, even though he hasn't really been properly cancelled. I can't not love Rosemary's Baby and Chinatown.

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 01, 2020, 01:11:39 AM

Bill Cosby's comedy work still holds up well

Hand Solo

YAHWEH.

I know his first book was racist, but the second was inclusive.

Chollis

it's MJ for me. had this debate with my mum and sisters. nothing but absolute bangers. really, truly, love his music. he's the king of pop.

but then it's like well....he is probably a nonce isn't he? deep down I think he's probably a nonce. his music is still incredibly good imo. i know i still enjoy it. but it's wrong, isn't it?

Nowhere Man

Eh, he's not even the best weird, iconic, dancing, black 1980s popstar in the beatles from the midwest of America born in 1958 to die from a drug overdose